Zeus, the Lord of Heaven, is a ranged intelligence hero who functions almost solely as a nuker. He is usually played as a semi-carry ganker type hero, who instead of utilizing disables, focuses solely on delivering tremendous amounts of magical damage to his foes. With the high cast range, and ease of use and low cooldown on his spells, he is able to deliver the most superb and consistent magical damage of any hero in the game. Arc Lightning is a highly spammable nuke that creates a stream of lightning that bounces between enemy foes (up to fifteen times at max level), dealing minor damage. Lightning Bolt is more focused, dealing heavy damage to a single target, also on a very low cooldown. It can also be targeted on the ground, providing vision and True Sight and potentially striking a nearby enemy, making him effective even against fogged and invisible enemies as well and allowing him to locate enemy wards. Static Field is a potent passive ability that allows Zeus's magical damage to scale into late game, dealing damage to all enemies equal to a certain percentage of their' health whenever he hits them with a spell. Finally, his ultimate Thundergod's Wrath allows him to strike all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter their position, inflicting heavy damage. It can be used for multiple purposes: to finish off low-health enemy heroes limping away, to soften up the entire enemy team during a teamfight, or even to scout out the enemy's position. With the ability to strike down enemies both near and afar, the Lord of Heaven ensures that nobody can escape his wrath.
- The lightning bounces in 0.25-second intervals, so hitting all targets takes 1/1.5/2/3.5 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 375/700/1125/2250 ( ) damage (before reductions).
- The is required for the lightning to jump.
- Lightning Bolt first applies the damage, then the debuff.
- When unit-targeted, the 750 range flying vision and True Sight are provided at the target's position upon cast. The vision is stationary and does not follow the target.
- When ground-targeted, Lightning Bolt searches for any enemy unit within its area, prioritizing heroes (including illusions, clones, and creep-heroes). Chooses the closest target to the center.
- It does not require any vision or True Sight to hit invisible or enemies in the Fog of War.
- With the cast range and search radius, it can hit an enemy up to 1025/1075/1125/1175 range away.
- When cast this way, the vision and True Sight is always centered on the targeted point, regardless of hitting a unit.
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 5 seconds. The True Sight is provided by an aura, and its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The lightning particles and sound effects during the cast time are visible and audible to everyone.
- With the level 25 talent, Lightning Bolt turns into an area-targeted ability, so that it cannot directly target units anymore.
- Lightning Bolt now hits every enemy units within the search radius.
- Does not upgrade the Lightning Bolts of .
- Static Field only works with Zeus' abilities. It does not react on items or other abilities.
- Static Field always applies its damage before the triggering ability applies any of its effects.
- applies Static Field's damage on each enemy units it bounces on.
- Manually casting (and from ) applies Static Field's damage on whoever it hits, regardless of whether they were unit-targeted or ground-targeted.
- invisible enemies. applies Static Field's damage on all hit enemies, except
- Neither works on Spell Block sources. , nor apply its damage if the ability is blocked by
- With , Static Field turns into an active ability. The passive component is still present.
- Upon cast, it immediately applies Static Field's damage, and the movement speed slow debuff on the closest enemy within radius.
- Can target any enemy units, but prioritizes heroes. Treats creep-heroes as heroes.
- Affects , but it only applies the movement speed slow on him.
- While not moving, Zeus jumps range upwards upon cast.
- While moving or being moved, he leaps in an arc towards his facing direction with a length of and height of upon cast.
- Zeus is not disabled during the jump/leap and can still turn, attack, and cast abilities and items during it. While in the air, other units can pass below him.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- Casts regular
based on its current level on the closest valid enemy target.
- This means it also applies the mini-stun and provides vision and True Sight around the target.
- Lightning Bolt notes fully apply. If it is not learned, nothing happens.
- The talent does not affect Nimbus' Lightning Bolt.
- The damage source is the Nimbus itself, meaning certain on-damage effects react on the Nimbus rather than on Zeus (e.g. ).
- Starts striking immediately upon cast if an enemy is within the radius.
- Also strikes immediately when the last strike was longer than an interval ago and an enemy enters the area.
- Always strikes the closest valid target. There are no priorities. Cannot target wards or buildings.
- The Nimbus can strike invisible units and units inside the Fog of War.
- Can strike up to 12 times over its full duration, considering the default 2.5 strike interval.
- The strike interval is not affected by any cooldown reduction and cooldown resets sources.
- The visual effects on the ground which mark the Nimbus' radius are visible to everyone.
- Only hits enemy heroes, including the illusions and creep-heroes. , but excluding ,
- Thundergod's Wrath first applies its damage, then provides its vision and True Sight.
- This means if an invisible enemy is not revealed beforehand, it only applies the vision and True Sight around them, but not the damage.
- Thundergod's Wrath provides 500 radius flying vision and 900 radius True Sight around each struck hero.
- The vision and True Sight last for 3 seconds.
- The True Sight is provided by an aura, its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Hitting all 5 enemy heroes collectively deals 1500/2125/2750 ( ) damage (before reductions).
- The visual and sound effects during the cast time are visible and audible to everyone.
- The sound effects upon cast is global. Enemies can hear it when they have vision over Zeus, else they can only hear the local hit sound.
- Shifts the lighting of the whole map for a split second, which is also visible to everyone.
|+20 Movement Speed||10||+1.25 Mana Regen|
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- Ground-targeted now also searches for non-hero units within its search area if cannot find a hero.
- Increased health regeneration from 0 to 0.25.
- Increased vision/True Sight duration from 4.5 to 5.
- Reduced mana cost from 125/130/135/140 to 120/125/130/135.
- Increased strike interval from 2.25 to 2.5.
- Reduced duration from 35 to 30.
- Increased gold bounty from 100 to 125 .
- Now also grants 900 radius unobstructed vision around Zeus for 3 seconds when cast.
- Reduced mana cost from 100 to 75.
- Level 25 right talent changed: 50% spell lifesteal ➜ 325 AoE . [ ]
- regenerates HP for Zeus to stay in lane.
- also restores health.
- gives burst mana for Zeus to use abilities.
- gives constant supply of mana for Zeus to farm with Arc Lightning.
- gives attributes, and Zeus can combine it with Tango for more heal.
- will make you faster, allowing for easier escapes and a better time catching up to enemy heroes.
- allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing. Getting it early helps you to maintain your mana to get last hits consistently.
- gives more intelligence, allowing for a larger mana pool and more damage, as well as bonus attributes to help with survivability.
- sustain Zeus' high rate of spell casting and give him the mana pool necessary to remain relevant in longer engagements. It can also be later disassembled to use the energy booster in another item like Aether Lens, and eventually upgrades into .
- makes you better at your job by dealing lots of magical damage from as far back as possible.
- can also be picked up, as Zeus benefits a lot from mobility items.
- gives mana regeneration, a bit more of speed and a good ability to incapacitate enemy heroes.
- provides a useful amplification of your magical damage dealt to any enemy caught in its blast. In addition to this, the armor bonus helps mitigate the impact of Zeus' poor base armor, allowing him to survive longer against physical damage.
- grants more health and more mana, which are very needed for Zeus. The more kills you score, the more mana regeneration you get.
- unlocks Nimbus, giving Zeus extra nuking power and global influence.
- increases Zeus's damage output with its cooldown reduction and gives Spell Lifesteal to counteract his squishiness.
- can help with early mana issues.
- is a good choice for mobility and utility, very useful for evading carries and kiting spell immune targets.
- can be a great choice if you find yourself getting blown up by physical damage. It can also be upgraded into an , which can be used to disable the enemy carry, save allies and deal a massive amount of burst damage in combination with your spells.
- increases spell damage and decreases mana cost, making Zeus a better caster in the mid game as he can use more abilities and deal more damage.
- allows Zeus to use Thundergod's Wrath and Nimbus twice in quick succession given sufficient mana, increasing his damage output in fights.
- gives a much-needed boost to Zeus's mana and grants a hard disable to deal with troublesome enemies.
- increase your mana pool enough to cast your combo while offering good enemy control.
|Playstyle:||Fond of mortal women, but even fonder of immortality, the Lord of Heaven descends from the clouds to prove himself a faithful spouse. Charged with godly might, Zeus calls down Lightning Bolts, smiting the wicked and revealing the hidden. Arc Lightning crackles between his fingers, jolts of electricity that leap from one puny mortal to the next. There is no running from heaven. Zeus points his arms skyward, bringing divine punishment down on each and every foe. Wherever they may be, none shall stand against the Thundergod's Wrath.|
- Zeus was the first hero to be implemented in Dota 2.
- Zeus is based on the Greek mythological god of the same name.
- As suggested by the game's files, Zeus's name was, at one time, Zuus. The possible reason being that 'Zuus' is the correct pronunciation of his name 'Zeus'.
- Zeus' alternate/fun name in DotA was "Merlini", a tribute to a professional DotA player.
- Zeus' title in DotA was "Lord of Olympus".
- Static Field is most likely a reference to the Sorceress' skill of the same name in Diablo II. In Diablo II, the spell also reduced enemies' HP by a percentage within a short radius.
- Zeus' respawn line ▶️ "To err is human. To respawn, divine." is a reference to Alexander Pope, whose quote is "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
- Zeus' rival line towards ▶️ "Keep in mind, Chen, Godliness is next to deadliness." is a reference to an old and well-known saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness." ,
- Zeus' rare response line, ▶️ "In Me I Trust.", refers to the national motto of the United States – "In God We Trust".
- Zeus' rare response line, ▶️ "If I didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent me.", is a reference to a similar quote by french philosopher Voltaire: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
- Zeus' bottling line, ▶️ "Nature abhors an empty bottle.", is a reference to the Plenism postulate attributed to Aristotle, which states that nature contains no vacuums because the denser surrounding material continuum would immediately fill the rarity of an incipient void – "Nature abhors a vacuum."
Model and icons before December 16, 2015 Patch