|Traditions||Arts of Oblivion|
After a traumatizing experience of captivity from a certain sadistic and dominating practitioner of dark sorcery, Viper swears to reciprocate the suffering that he received by enslaving all magicians in his future menagerie as retribution for his suffering under the bonds of magecraft and those who wield it, while wielding the same powers that contributed to his suffering.
The unlucky victim of a sadistic sorcerer's attempts to capture a netherdrake as a pet from the sealed luminous caverns of the Nether Reaches, Viper would soon realize that his freedom was the start of his enslavement. Malevolent in nature, Viper hoped to learn from the dark magics of his captor, purposely submitting to his spells to learn them on a practical and painfully physical level.
Although he could endure most of his spells, he soon realized that some of them were too potent for him to deal with. Not wanting to risk his life any longer, he corroded the bars of his cage and spit poison in his captor's eyes before finally setting himself loose upon the world.
Years after his escape, the joy that Viper felt from his escape soon faded into ennui. He felt that his existence was hollow due to the fact that his captor still remained in this world. He flew away to take revenge on Pugna once more to ease his trauma, but quickly realized that Pugna was just a part of a bigger problem that he had been missing on. Viper's hollow existence was filled with an evil realization: why enslave his former master when he could enslave all who were just like him? So many magicians like him summon familiars and grant them the blessing of life, only to let them live it all in servitude. And many more immerse themselves in magic for the purpose of controlling others. Viper could not stand the thought of that.
Thus was Viper enlightened. He soared out with a new purpose to enslave all who practice the vile arts of sorcery and keep them like pets in his menagerie of magicians. He has not forgotten Pugna, for he is naught but a pet that he shall soon imprison among the others who are just like him.
Personality and Mannerisms
- Viper was already a malevolent creature prior to being summoned by Pugna. During his time as Pugna's pet, he was taught by him to be sadistic, but Pugna's ill treatment has also indirectly influenced him to enslave and dominate others—a trait that he inherited as well.
- Viper is a hypocrite. He dislikes being enslaved and those who enslave others, but he is willing to enslave others and exploit those with the power to control others.
- Viper is a surprisingly intelligent and inquisitive creature. Magic is a taxing, mnemonic process yet Viper has learned much about magic and spellcasting just by watching his former master while in captivity.
enslaved the netherdrake and kept him as his pet. He now seeks vengeance against him for the trauma he experienced under his servitude.
Viper is on a crusade against magic and is hostile towards anyone who practices it. In Artifact, he seeks to enslave the sorcerers  's powers of enthrallment has piqued his interest, and he wishes to make him the keeper of his menagerie. He also wants to keep the as a pet.and .
In Underlords, Viper encourages the elemental sisters Rylai and to kill each other.
Powers and Abilities
Viper has the physiology of a typical netherdrake, but what makes him unique among his species is the presence of magic in his poison, likely obtained from enduring the spells of his former master.
He is also one of the few Heroes of Dota 2 to undergo bodily augmentations, having taken such interests from observing his former master's skill in it. Through a combination of the right sequence of spells and a great amount of suffering from tests on himself and many trial victims, Viper has managed to augment his body with a magic hood and a stinger on his arched tail. These augmentations make him confident enough to return to the Nether Reaches to reign as the most poisonous creature alive, but first he must verify the rumors of a secret passage to the now sealed caverns where his kin lives.
Viper is not a sophisticated Hero. He lacks any kind of versatility or complex abilities—all he can do is exude poison of varying potency and dosages from the orifices of his body. That is not to say that he is not a deadly creature, however. He has learned deadly spells from his master Pugna, including spells that he used for the augmentation of his body and poisons.  It's possible that these magics are the same brand that Pugna is versed in: the Arts of Oblivion.
is a much more widespread application of his inborn poison as he spews a large amount of it to create a pool of poison. The lore for this ability describes the potency of his poison: it is so powerful that any fatigue or injury sustained from his poison can be lethal.
Theof a netherdrake can exude an infectious toxin to corrode those who are foolish enough to strike him at melee range. Against magical attacks, Viper's exposure to his erstwhile master's magic has hardened his body against it. The description also states that the exuding acid contributes to his magic resistance, possibly cleansing the effects of magic from his body in an acid wash.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Viper
- ▶️ You're not a whole lot of fun to be around, Viper.
- ▶️ Don't be getting any ideas, Jex.
- ▶️ It's interesting. Your lack of sophistication makes you dangerous.
- ▶️ Holy shit, it's Viper!
- ▶️ Reptiles rally!
- ▶️ ▶️ You're not exciting, Viper, but you sure get the job done.
- ▶️ ▶️ You're Viper? Don't look like one to me.
- ▶️ The Netherdrakes do a possess a certain grace, despite all reports.
- ▶️ Am I correct in assuming I should avoid the noxious green puddles left in your wake?
- ▶️ I try to not be prejudiced, but you don't set me at ease, Viper.
- ▶️ The green shadow takes wing!
Enemies killing Viper
- ▶️ Aw, Viper, and I was gonna take you out for a spin.
- ▶️ Viper, I've seen your end.
- ▶️ I'm supposed to be scared of a little acid?
- ▶️ You're not a predator, you're a weed.
- ▶️ Viper, you fall to Earth.
- ▶️ Gravity brings you down.
- ▶️ Your natural talents weren't quite enough.
- ▶️ And they call me a buzzard!
- ▶️ Lot harder to fly with all those arrows in you.
- ▶️ Mmm, Viper…tastes like chicken.
- ▶️ Time for a new pair of boots!
- ▶️ ▶️ Monkey vs snake. Monkey wins. Monkey always wins!
- ▶️ ▶️ Let's see if your poison's good for cleaning off blood.
- ▶️ You let yourself get carried away.
- ▶️ Perhaps I must find your homeland. Just one of you wasn't even a challenge.
- ▶️ Your poison is sweet like a summer wine.
- ▶️ Green you may be, but I find you tiresome.
- ▶️ Ah Viper, my erstwhile pet.
- ▶️ Viper! I wondered where you had gotten to.
- ▶️ What was it, Viper? Nether Reaches lost their charm?
- ▶️ Back to the Nether Reaches with you, Viper!
- ▶️ Viper, here you fly where below you crawled.
- ▶️ One source of aerial pollution curtailed.
- ▶️ Snake's are flying now?!
- ▶️ Hmm. Should see if there's a reward.
- ▶️ You shouldn't have spit into the wind, Viper.
- ▶️ Hit the ground!
- ▶️ Dirt nap for you!
- ▶️ Time to slow down.
- ▶️ ▶️ Dead air.
- ▶️ Your poison shadow is now but a crater.
- ▶️ Grounded.
- ▶️ Venom beats Viper!
- ▶️ Ah, Viper, you might want to invest in some venom.
- ▶️ You still wouldn't have had a chance had you learned proper magics, but it would have been closer.
- ▶️ These are unfriendly skies for a viper.
- ▶️ V is not for visions of victory, but for a victim of a vicious viper.
- ▶️ ▶️ I will bring you down!
- Artifact Card: Viper
- Artifact Card: Intimidation
- Invoker's biography.
- Dota Underlords - Viper response: Yes, Anti-Mage! Together, we will end magic.
- (Dota Underlords) Viper responses: I take no joy in killing you, Anti-Mage.
- Dota Underlords - Viper response: What have you done to Auroth, Lich?
- Artifact - Viper response: I look forward to breaking your will, Lich.
- Artifact - Viper response: The Crystal Maiden of Icewrack will be a fitting addition to my menagerie.
- Artifact - Viper response: Your power over the minds of lesser creatures amuses me. I shall make you the keeper over my menagerie.
- Artifact - Viper response: You seem a charming little sorceress, my tiny emerald one. Shall you be a pretty pet?
- Artifact - Viper response: You look to enslave the minds of those who look up to you.
- Artifact - Viper response: You're no different than your daughter, Prellex...
- Dota Underlords - Viper response: It's time to rid the world of your sister, Lina.
- Dota Underlords - Viper response: First, we rule White Spire. And then, we claim Weeping Rose.
- Artifact Card: Pugna
- Viper response: ▶️ My poison works its magic.
- Malefic Drake's Hood description.
- Malefic Drake's Strike description.
- Artifact - Viper response: Cruel magics, stolen from a mad wizard.
- Artifact - Viper response: I learned much from watching wizards.
- Viper response: ▶️ Poison closes your veins.
- Viper response: ▶️ How your blood sours.