Shendelzare, the Vengeful Spirit, is a ranged agility hero who excels at ganking, disabling, and kill hunts. She is one of the most well-rounded supports in the game, possessing a skill set that allows her to set up kills for her team during ganks and teamfights, strengthening her team and weakening the enemy in large-scale engagements, and saving allies from certain death if they are caught by the enemy.
Effective at all stages of the game, Vengeful Spirit is typically seen roaming the battlefield, searching for targets to prey on. She possesses a strong targeted stun in Magic Missile and an armor reduction debuff in Wave of Terror, making her a strong partner in a gank. Motivated by her lust for revenge, Vengeance Aura boosts the damage of all nearby allies, making Vengeful Spirit an invaluable ally to teams with strong physical damage output and turning her into a potential semi-carry. Her ultimate Nether Swap immediately swaps Vengeful Spirit's position with another hero, ally or enemy, allowing her to displace a key enemy hero for easy elimination, or save an ally in distress at the potential cost of her own life. Vengeful Spirit's skill set and low reliance on farm allows her to be played with great recklessness, as even her death can be integral towards guiding her team to victory. Vengeful Spirit requires very selfless and skilled play to operate well, and relies on the competence of teammates as much as herself.
- The projectile travels at a speed of 1350.
- Magic Missile first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- The wave travels at a speed of 2000, taking 0.7 seconds to travel the full distance.
- With the travel distance and effect radius, Wave of Terror can hit units up to 1725 range away.
- The wave provides 350 radius flying vision as it travels, which lasts for 4 seconds.
- This vision starts 100 range away from Vengeful Spirit. With the travel distance and vision radius, the vision reaches up to 2000 range away.
- The debuff from successive casts does not stack, only the duration gets refreshed.
- The wave first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- Does not affect .
, Vengeful Spirit gains a buff for each enemy hit by Wave of Terror. Multiple instances of this buff fully stack.
- Uses the regular Wave of Terror debuff to steal attack damage and armor from the targets. The debuff does not stack.
- This means it reduces attack damage and armor of all enemies hit.
- However, Vengeful Spirit only gains the buff from affected heroes, including clones, excluding illusions and creep-heroes.
- The attack damage and armor reduction is based on the affected units' main attack damage (base attack damage and damage granted by primary attributes) and main armor (base armor and armor granted by agility) respectively.
- Direct attack damage and armor bonuses are ignored.
- Both attack damage and armor reduction is directly subtracted from the target's main attack damage and main armor. It is neither subtracted from the bonus attack damage, nor bonus armor.
- However, the attack damage and armor gained, is added as bonus attack damage and bonus armor respectively for Vengeful Spirit.
- The stolen values are set upon gaining the buff and do not adapt to the target's main attack damage or main armor, and it equals the exact amount of values the target lost upon debuffed.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of affected units. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- With illusion spawns range away either north, east, south or west from Vengeful Spirit's death location.
- The illusion is a strong illusion, meaning it cannot be instantly killed by abilities which normally kill illusions instantly.
- It always spawns with full mana and health and all abilities off-cooldown, regardless of their cooldown status on Vengeful Spirit.
- It can cast abilities, but not item abilities.
- It does not have a set duration upon spawning, it disappears once Vengeful Spirit respawns.
- The illusion spawns on every death, including with Reincarnation sources.
- The created illusion is visually distinguishable from the real Vengeful Spirit for the enemies.
- This illusion uses the hero health bar instead of the regular unit health bar like other illusions.
- Unlike other illusions, this illusion does not have a gold bounty.
- This illusion cannot be . It gets slowed instead.
- With experience even while dead.
, Vengeful Spirit can gain
- While dead, she is periodically moved along with the Vengeance Illusion, allowing her to gain experience around the illusion.
- This also allows her to respawn at the illusion's location, instead of at the fountain.
- However, these effects require the illusion to be alive. If it dies, she no longer gains experience, and stops moving along with it.
- The target is given a stop command as soon as it is swapped back, effectively canceling channeling abilities.
- Does not disjoint projectiles upon swapped, neither for the caster, nor for the target.
- Destroys trees within 300 radius around Vengeful Spirit and the target.
- The damage is only applied to enemy targets.
|Pierces Spell Immunity||25||+16%Base Damage Bonus|
|+10 Agility||10||+12% Magic Resistance|
- Reduced agility gain from 3.8 to 3.4.
- The Vengeance illusion now uses a hero health bar, instead of the regular unit health bar.
- Reduced Vengeance illusion movement speed bonus from 25% to 12%.
- helps Vengeful Spirit sustain during the laning phase, preventing her from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- is crucial for replenishing Vengeful Spirit's mana from casting Magic Missile during early ganks, as her small base mana pool means that she will run completely out after one or two casts.
- is a cheap way to improve Vengeful Spirit's attributes, particularly her HP and mana, both of which are lacking in the early game. It can be used to build Magic Wand later.
- are crucial for purchasing regularly as a support hero. Map vision provides intelligence about enemy movements, and is particularly useful for Vengeful Spirit given her ability to roam and get kills on lone enemies.
- is a useful pickup when in a lane against heroes who have low mana cost spells, and are harassing you with those. The burst HP and mana regen allows Vengeful Spirit to survive slightly longer and cast at least one more spell in an engagement, which can make or break a fight.
- are essential early on for Vengeful Spirit, as the improved speed will allow her to escape deadly situations, as well as quickly get within range to stun them with Magic Missile
- is a useful pick up for the same reasons as the Magic Stick. Its attribute bonuses are very useful on low-farm supports, and the increased charge storage allows Vengeful Spirit to instantly replenish a large fraction of her HP and mana, enough to stay in a fight long enough to make a greater difference.
- attack speed. The ability to switch attributes allows her to either give herself more HP for survivability, more mana for casting her powerful spells, or more damage and attack speed for damage output. increase Vengeful Spirit's
- stacks with Wave of Terror to further reduce enemy armor. Vengeful Spirit can also use it on friendly target to increase their armor, which may help them survive in fights. The bonuses on Vengeful Spirit herself give her increased armor for survivability against physical damage, and mana regeneration that helps to maintain her mana pool.
- is a cheap support item that is very useful on Vengeful Spirit. It can be used to re-position her in order to cast her abilities particularly Magic Missile and Nether Swap. It can also be used to escape from failed fights or ganks as well as save nearby allies, or push enemies into your grasp. It also improves her mana pool, allowing her to cast her spells more often in fights.
- , upgraded from , further augments the bonuses it brings. The increased armor shift allows Vengeful Spirit to make an even bigger dent in the enemy's armor, or provide even more protection to a target ally in combination with the bonus movement and attack speed.
- increases the size of her meager mana pool, allowing her to cast her spells more easily, and provides mana regen for improved sustainability. Boosting the cast range on all of her spells allows her to stun enemies with Magic Missile from farther away, and debuff more enemies with Wave of Terror. But most importantly, it increases the cast range of Nether Swap, allowing her to displace enemies from long distances.
- are a powerful alternative option for a roaming Vengeful Spirit. The increased movement speed allows her to roam more effectively, chasing down enemies more quickly to stun them. The passive HP regen can replenish any HP lost during an engagement, allowing Vengeful Spirit to be ready for another gank shortly afterward.
- is a good support item that helps Vengeful Spirit and any roaming partners to cast their spells. Increasing the size of Vengeful Spirit's mana pool reduces the strain of casting Magic Missile and Nether Swap, and the active can allow her to replenish her own mana pool and that of teammates, whether they need their spells to function in teamfights or to kill gank targets.
- creates a Vengeance Illusion spawning upon her death allows her to continue to contribute to fights even after death. The item itself also greatly improves her HP and mana, making her more resilient and improving her mana pool to reduce the strain that repeated casting of her ultimate will induce.
- is extremely strong in the hands of Vengeful Spirit. While it cannot be used to trap enemies on impassable terrain with Nether Swap, it greatly increases her mobility and lets her quickly get in position to stun an enemy or swap a key target. It also greatly improves her roaming potential as she can traverse over cliffs and trees while hunting for targets.
- is a powerful carry item that boosts Vengeful Spirit's damage output. Combining the attack modifier with Wave of Terror and Medallion of Courage can reduce a target's armor by up to 19, which can be enough to bring down even the tankiest heroes.
- is an expensive but strong luxury item for a carry build. The item drastically increases Vengeful Spirit's physical damage output, particularly when combined with Wave of Terror, and provides evasion to make her harder to focus down in engagements.
- increases Vengeful Spirit's carry potential further. It improves her overall attributes, particularly her agility, and improves her movement speed for better mobility. The active allows her to remove debuffs from herself while also creating illusions to confuse the enemy; as well, the illusions can carry Vengeance Aura to benefit her team even while she herself is not within range.
- enhances Vengeful Spirit's survivability and ability usage with health and mana. Furthermore, the strong dispel, status resistance, and damage reduction gives her a much higher chance of survival when swapping herself into a group of enemy heroes.
- gives Vengeful Spirit all-around attributes for a cheap price, and the active provides increased movement and attack speed for both herself and nearby allies, allowing Vengeful Spirit and her team to chase down enemies during ganks, or escape from pursuers.
- is a strong utility item on any support hero. Vengeful Spirit can use it in conjunction with Nether Swap to help ensure that an endangered ally survives, and cast on herself can improve her ganking ability as she can approach targets invisibly before disabling them with Magic Missile.
- is a cheap mana item that improves Vengeful Spirit's ability to roam independently. It gives her health regeneration, allowing her to sustain her HP more easily without going back to base. The active allows her to draw on her HP pool for immediate mana, useful for getting the mana she needs to cast Magic Missile and Nether Swap.
- is a useful roaming item that gives Vengeful Spirit many powerful benefits. The bonus strength and mana regen give her more HP and help to maintain her mana pool. Charges can be easily obtained through successful ganks, and the charges can be used to heal herself or allies, synergizing with Nether Swap in keeping teammates alive, or can be used to add additional Pure damage in a gank, increasing the odds of success.
- is a utility item that increases Vengeful Spirit's teamfight presence. The aura's damage bonus synergises with Vengeance Aura further increasing the physical damage output of nearby teammates. Other components of aura also are very good in general.
- can be a cheap utility item that serves multiple purposes, both in teamfights and ganks. The intelligence and mana regen bonuses will solve all of Vengeful Spirit's casting problems, and its movement speed boost allows her to position herself for casting spells or chasing down enemies more easily. The active can be used to temporarily disable secondary enemy targets while her team focuses down the primary target, or can be cast on herself to provide temporary invulnerability after a successful Nether Swap while also dispelling debuffs.
- is a very strong semi-carry item that drastically boosts Vengeful Spirit's team damage output. The increased armor will make her extremely resilient against physical damage, while the attack speed bonus allows her and nearby allies to further capitalize on Vengeance Aura's bonus damage. The enemy armor reduction can further reduce their resistance to physical damage alongside Wave of Terror.
- is a powerful ganking item that can help to secure guaranteed kills. While expensive, Scythe of Vyse provides an instant hard-disable that can be combined with Magic Missile to pin down gank targets reliably. The increased intelligence and mana regen also solve all of Vengeful Spirit's mana issues.
|Roles:||Support Initiator Disabler Nuker Escape|
|Playstyle:||Robbed of her wings and rightful place in the Ghastly Eyrie, Shendelzare appealed to the goddess Scree'auk to grant her the dark energies that would complete her vengeance. The fallen princess heralds her arrival with a Wave of Terror, unnerving foes close enough to hear her anguished cry. Like her airborne brethren, the Vengeful Spirit makes liberal use of Magic Missile, a simple Skywrath spell for stunning adversaries. Seeking martyrdom, Shendelzare instantly Nether Swaps with a hero of her choosing, gladly sacrificing herself as she trades positions with a besieged ally, or a fleeing enemy. The worthy who fight alongside Shendelzare are emboldened by her Vengeance Aura, a fanaticism that intensifies their blows and persists even beyond her death.|
- Magic Missile is one of the first and most iconic offensive spells available for arcane spellcaster classes in the famed pen-and-paper RPG series, Dungeons & Dragons.
- Previous designs of Vengeful Spirit showed her with a mask that looked similar to her Vengeance Aura ability icon.
- Vengeful Spirit's fun name, "820", is a tribute to former professional DotA player 820.
- In DotA 1, she was the sister of Mortred, the , and her name was Shendelzare Silkwood. In Dota 2, her lore was changed so that she became affiliated with the Skywrath, thus switching her affiliations to Dragonus, the .
- In the transition to Dota 2, her aura's name was changed from Command Aura to Vengeance Aura.