Town Portal Scroll
|Town Portal Scroll|
|What a hero truly needs.|
- Town Portal Scrolls have a dedicated item slot and cannot be dropped.
- Heroes start with one free, unsellable Town Portal Scroll. The item starts on a 100 seconds cooldown at the beginning of the game.
- Whenever a hero dies to an enemy player, they gain 1 free, unsellable Town Portal Scroll.
- Stacks with itself in the inventory, there is no stack limit. The sell value adapts based on the number of instances in a stack.
- Town Portal Scroll is completely shareable.
- Holding Alt causes an icon to appear below every allied heroes' portrait below the top bar of the HUD, showing the allies' teleport status.
- The icon shows their current cooldown on their teleport. If the ally has no teleport item, no icon appears. If it is in the backpack, it appears grey.
- The display prioritizes over Town Portal Scrolls and over Boots of Travel. It does not show other teleport abilities.
Cast Range: Global
Min Targeting Distance to Building: 70
Max Targeting Distance to Building: 575
Max Targeting Distance to Outposts: 250
First Channel Time: 3
First Channel Time to Outposts: 5
Second Channel Time Increase: 2
Following Channel Time Increase: 0.5
Recent Teleport Check Radius: 1150
Recent Teleport Check Duration: 25
- ↓↓ Double-tapping the item while being at least 1500 range away from the team's fountain, automatically targets the fountain.
- When targeting the ground, it automatically searches for the closest valid target to teleport to.
- By default, it only targets buildings. With , it targets non-hero units as well, and with , it targets heroes as well.
- Cannot directly target buildings. Instead, it uses the minimum teleport distance. When upgraded, can directly target units.
- When not upgraded with
, if multiple heroes teleport to the same location within the check duration, the channeling time increases for each successive hero.
- The first channel takes 3 seconds, the second 5 seconds, and all following channels take 0.5 seconds longer than the previous one.
- Teleporting to captured Outposts takes 2 seconds longer than to other buildings, so the first teleport takes 5 seconds.
- Teleporting towards the fountain always takes 3 seconds, no matter how many targeted that area.
- The check radius is based on the targeted building's location. Each building has its own independent check radius.
- Only teleports from non-upgraded Town Portal Scrolls are counted. Teleports enhanced by Boots of Travel are ignored.
- The teleports do not have to succeed. A canceled teleport still counts and increases following teleport's channeling time.
- When upgraded, it always takes 3 seconds to teleport (5 seconds to Outposts), regardless of recent teleports.
- Disjoints projectiles upon teleporting.
- During the channeling, the teleport destination is marked with a visual effect in the same color as the player and a sound is played.
- Both are visible and audible to everyone. The visual effect is also visible on teleporting invisible enemies.
- Also marks the point on the minimap for allies. The mark is in the player's color and lasts as long as the channeling does.
- Provides 200 range flying vision at the destination point for the whole channel duration, even if cancelled. The vision lingers for 1 second.
- The targeted unit's priority is lowered, meaning it is attacked as the last auto attack target by other units.
- When the target unit dies or changes ownership during the channeling, the teleport gets cancelled, wasting the cooldown and mana cost.
- Since buildings are not directly targeted, the destruction of the building, or loss of the Outpost does not cancel the teleport.
- When upgraded with , Town Portal Scrolls do not lose charges upon teleporting, and have their cooldown reduced to 40/30 seconds.
- Town Portal Scrolls are arguably the most important mobility items in the game and should be carried by every hero. They can easily prevent deaths or make kills possible when used correctly.
- When getting ganked, the teleport can be used to escape. However, one has to make sure first that the enemy cannot interrupt the teleport, by either waiting until they use their disables first, or by hiding/obstructing vision in case of single-target disables and teleport while they have no vision.
- Inversely, they can also be used to teleport to help an ally who is getting ganked. The incoming teleport may cause enemies to retreat and give up chasing the ally and thus not get a kill, or they still go for it and risk losing some of their heroes in return. It is well worth to cancel the teleport if the enemy decides to give up chasing, costing the player 100 , but preventing the enemy from gaining gold and the ally from losing gold and time.
- Their cheap cost makes it very easy to buy them frequently, which is fully worth it, even in the very late game.
- As a carry, Town Portal Scrolls can be used to speed up farming, by teleporting from lane to lane after clearing the waves through to the enemy's next tower. Instead of having to walk to another place to farm, the teleport can be used to instantly get to the next farm location and keep on farming.
- In the lategame, teleport scrolls are crucial to fight against split-pushing enemies. When being far away from a tower which is getting pushed, a teleport is the only way to get there fast and defend the tower. This also goes for base-racing. When the enemy team is faster, teleporting back to base to defend can be the game-winning move.
- In the original DotA, this item was called "Scroll of Town Portal".
- On the August 13, 2018 Patch, a new Town Portal Scroll with a green icon made its way into the main game. The item's active worked like the teleport of , and costed only 50 . The item was available in every game mode until it was fixed/removed one hour later in a hotfix patch. The item's purpose is unknown, but it was most likely intended to be part of Mutation Mode, due to being added in the same patch that added the Pocket Roshan item.
- The description of the item is a reference to the very first Dota 2 Gamescom trailer.
- Activating a Town Portal Scroll appears to require the casting hero's blood. This can be seen in the trailer of Dota: Dragon's Blood.
Icon of the leaked TI8 Town Portal Scoll
Main Article: Town Portal Scroll/Changelogs
- Reduced number of starting from 3 to 1.
- Heroes now gain 1 unsellable for free upon dying.
- can no longer appear as a random reward for digging with a .
- Increased max distance towards building from 575 to 800.
- Reduced channel time towards from 6 to 5.
- Increased gold cost from 90 to 100 .
now gets upgraded having equipped:
- Reduces cooldown from 80 to 40.
- No longer causes to lose charges.
- Allows to target allied units as well, teleporting directly to them. allows targeting allied heroes as well.
- Causes teleports to always take 3 seconds, regardless of how many allies recently teleported to the same building.
- Increased gold cost from 50 to 90 .