Time of day is a gameplay element in Dota 2 that operates alongside the game's clock. Certain mechanics behave differently depending on the time of day.
Each day in Dota 2 is 10 minutes long, divided evenly between daytime and nighttime. Each match starts out at night-time during the preparation phase pre-horn. Once the ▶️▶️ horn sounds (Radiant/Dire) and the game time reaches 0:00, the first dawn starts. The first night begins at 5:00, the second day starts at 10:00, and so on. Shifting from day to night and vice versa is signaled by an audio cue, with nighttime being announced with a wolf's howl ▶️, while daytime is announced with bird's tweet and rooster's crow ▶️. Some custom maps may have their own version of these audio cues.
At night, the map is darker and most units experience reduced vision, as detailed below. Additionally, some heroes have their abilities modified according to the time of day, with the most notable example being.
Game Clock Modifying Abilities
These abilities can change the current time of day.
- Duration: 2.4/4.2/6
Turns day into night for the duration. Does not pause the day-night cycle. Eclipse has a lower priority than the daytime caused by .
- Duration: 30
Turns day into night for its duration. Does not pause the day-night cycle. Dark Ascension has a lower priority than the daytime caused by .
- Duration: 6
Turns night into day for its duration. Does not pause the day-night cycle.
- Illuminate Damage as Heal during Day: 30%/45%/60%
- Self Night Vision Bonus: 250/500/750/1000
- Night Vision Bonus: 1000
- Night Vision Bonus: 200
- Night Vision Bonus: 400
- Day Aura Duration: 3
Night Aura Duration: 4/5/6/7
- Night Vision Bonus: 400
Most heroes have vision during the day of 1800 units and at night vision of 800 units, although many exceptions exist.
The following heroes have a talent that grants them bonus vision.
|Bonus||Level 10||Level 15||Level 20||Level 25|
- Matches now starts at nighttime during the preparation phase, and turn to day once the timer reaches 0:00.
- Day/Night length increased from 4 to 5 minutes.
- now turns night into day for its duration. [ ]
- 's doesn't stop the day/night cycle anymore.
- Day/Night length decreased from 6 to 4 minutes.
- Day-Night now cycles at 25% faster rate. [ ]
- now turns day into night for 10 seconds.
- Alt now displays the time pre-horn instead of just showing either daytime or nighttime.
- Fixed day-night-cycle duration as well as initial state being a bit off.
- Updated and added new day-night-cycle display.
- Added new sounds to indicate daytime and nighttime.
- Updated and cleaned up the visual transition between the day-night-cycle.
- Updated day-night-cycle indicator.
- Added day-night-cycle indicator.