|Slips in and out of skirmishes.|
|The only prisoner ever to escape from Dark Reef, Slark's abilities and ruthlessness are without equal. Pouncing into danger then slipping back out is what Slark does best. With every swing of his barnacle encrusted dagger, Slark steals his target's Essence, converting them to render himself more agile, striking harder and faster. He forges a Dark Pact, sacrificing his own lifeblood to dissipate negative energies that damage foes, and frees him from magical constraints. Concealing himself as he Shadow Dances, the Nightcrawler presents no visible target to would-be attackers. Hidden and Shrouded in this black haze, Slark escapes the inescapable and is always ready to to gut his enemies with little risk of retribution.|
|Roles:||Carry Escape Disabler Nuker|
- Dark Pact interrupts Slark's channeling abilities upon cast.
- Deals 9/16/23/30 ( ) damage within a 325 radius in 0.1-second intervals, starting 1.5 seconds after cast for a total of 10 instances.
- Slark takes 2.7/4.8/6.9/9 ( ) damage in the same intervals, resulting in 27/48/69/90 ( ) total damage.
- The visual effects and sounds during the 1.5 seconds delay is only visible and audible to allies.
- The visual effects of the damaging pulses are visible even when Slark is invisible.
- Dark Pact ends 2.5 seconds after cast, but ends instantly when Slark dies.
- Re-casting Dark Pact during the effect delay cancels the previous cast and starts a new one instead.
- Slark leaps forward at a speed of 933.33 ( ) for up to 0.75 seconds.
- Always jumps for the full distance, unless an enemy hero gets within 120 radius of Slark during the jump.
- With the maximum distance and latch radius, Pounce can latch on enemy heroes up to 820 ( ) range away.
- Slark can turn and cast abilities and items during Pounce, but cannot attack.
- When latching on a unit, Slark is automatically ordered to attack the target.
- The more the leash gets stretched, the slower the affected unit can walk away from the center, eventually coming to a full stop. It directly affects the target's movement speed.
- If cast before getting leashed, the following abilities are not able to break the leash: , , , , , , and an enemy-targeted .
- Every other position changing effect, can break the leash when stretching it beyond the maximum radius.
- and an allied-targeted instantly break the leash when cast, regardless of the maximum radius.
- When the leash expires while a position-changing effect (e.g. knockback) is ongoing, it instantly cancels the position-changing effect.
- This goes for the following abilities: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Destroys trees within 100 radius around Slark upon landing.
- Pounce cannot be re-cast while leaping.
- During the leap, Pounce is on a non-refreshable cooldown which is bound to the leap buff.
- Essence Shift steals 1 of / / all attributes before the attack damage is applied.
- With the talent, Essence Shift steals agility instead.
- Enemy heroes effectively lose 20 health, 0.1 health regeneration, 12 mana and 0.05 mana regeneration, 1 ( ) attack speed and 0.17 ( ) armor, and 1 ( ) main attack damage if it is an agility hero.
- For Slark, it effectively grants 0.5 ( ) armor, 3 ( ) attack speed, and 3 ( ) main attack damage per stack.
- Essence Shift cannot reduce any attribute below 0. However, Slark continues to gain agility, both temporarily and permanently, even when the attacked hero has no more attributes left to steal.
- Successive attacks do not refresh the duration of all stolen or lost attributes. Each stack has its own duration.
- The status buff and debuff icon show the number of current stacks and show the duration of the last stack.
- When Slark dies, he loses all temporarily stolen attributes, but the affected enemies do not get theirs back, and vice versa.
- Cannot steal attributes from illusions.
- However, he can temporarily steal attributes from allies.
- Permanently stolen agility is removed from the affected hero's bonus agility and added to Slark's bonus agility.
- The affected ally or enemy hero has to die within the 300 permanent agility steal radius while having the Essence Shift debuff.
- Does not permanently steal agility if the enemy hero has Reincarnation sources or from the .
- To permanently steal agility outside of the aforementioned radius, Slark has to make the killing blow himself. His player-controlled-units or illusions making the killing blow do not count.
- Can permanently steal agility from individually.
- The number of stolen agility gained/lost can be seen on the status buff icon.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- Applies the
based on the current level of Shadow Dance on allies within the area.
- Shadow Dance notes fully apply. If it is not learned, nothing happens upon cast, wasting mana and cooldown.
- Does not prevent being revealed by .
- The modifier provides the same movement speed, , health regeneration, and invisibility as Shadow Dance does.
- The modifier fully stacks with those of Shadow Dance.
- This means during Shadow Dance, Slark gains a total of 48%/72%/96% movement speed, attack speed and 10%/12%/14% ( ) max health as health regeneration while inside the area.
- The buff is provided by an aura. Its buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Affects every allied unit, except buildings and wards.
- Can regenerate up to 17.5%/21%/24.5% ( ) of affected units' max health over its full duration.
- Shadow Dance interrupts Slark's channeling abilities upon cast.
- Slark gains or loses the health regeneration and movement speed bonus 0.5 seconds after getting in or out of enemy vision, or casting Shadow Dance.
- If Slark is damaged by a neutral creep, the health regeneration and movement speed bonus are lost for 2 seconds.
- When casting Shadow Dance, he turns invisible and cannot be revealed by anything. However, the black cloud created is visible to enemies.
- The invisibility is granted by an aura, however, its buff does not linger.
- The aura does not affect invulnerable units, so if Slark turns invulnerable during it, he gets revealed.
- Shadow Dance does not grant phased movement.
|+75Attack Speed||20||+1 Agility gain/stolen perStack|
Main Article: Slark/Changelogs
- Rescaled total damage from 75/150/225/300 to 90/160/230/300.
- Reduced mana cost from 75 to 65.
- Reduced base strength from 21 to 20.
- Now deals 40 latch damage upon contact.
- Increased latch radius from 95 to 120.
- Level 10 left talent changed: +8 agility ➜ +0.5s leash duration.
- Level 15 left talent changed: 50 attack speed bonus during health regen bonus. ➜ +1.5% max health as
- Level 20 left talent changed: +0.8s leash duration ➜ 70 attack speed bonus during .
- Level 25 left talent: +55s steal duration reduced to +50s.
- helps Slark regenerate his health without the need of returning to base.
- can save Slark at the last moment.
- provides attributes and builds into .
- gives burst mana and health restoration.
- allow Slark to catch up to enemies and immobilize them with Pounce.
- slow enemies and inflict damage overtime, giving an advantage to Slark's early ganks. is a cheap but powerful item to
- attributes for survival, damage, or mana. gives Slark attack speed to build Essence Shift, as well as the ability to switch to appropriate
- , upgraded from , gives him more attributes and opens up item slots.
- provides attack speed and invisibility to improve ganking and escaping. It also synergizes with the passive part of Shadow Dance, giving health regeneration and movement speed buffs when enemies lose vision of Slark.
- helps Slark collect stacks of Essence Shift, useful for ganking.
- slows enemy attack and movement speed, keeping them in range for Slark to build Essence Shift. Its large bonus attributes increases Slark's health, mana, armor, damage, and attack speed, compensating his low growth.
- bash, complementing Essence Shift's agility that increases attack speed. lets Slark stick to enemies with its active stun and chances to
- provides Slark with attributes to improve his lackluster growth while giving him extra movement speed and attack speed to help close the distance on foes, building the early game advantage he needs to snowball.
- provides a way to slow fleeing heroes, keeping them in attack range, as well as burning mana for extra damage and suit the gain of attack speed.
- allows him to chase and attack enemy heroes due to the movement speed, attack speed, and agility boost. Its bonus strength may also beef up Slark enough to survive engagements.
- spell immunity offers protection from disables, making him almost invulnerable while under the effect of Shadow Dance. 's
- offers bonus attack speed, damage, and agility; its evasion gives him more survivability against attacks.
- break to disable heroes with strong passive abilities. , upgraded from , improves Slark's ganking capability even further with bonus attributes and
- helps Slark gank by silencing enemies, as well as regenerating Slark's mana for more frequent uses of Pounce and Dark Pact. This makes it useful against enemies that rely on blinks or other abilities to escape, such as or .
- procs Pierce that deals bonus damage and counters enemy evasion.
- increases Slark's attack speed for Essence Shift to steal attributes quickly. As the game progresses, Slark can consume it to free an item slot and keep a permanent attack speed bonus.
- Slark is named after a rare murloc in World of Warcraft.
- Slark's murloc heritage was completely removed in the transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright issues, since the murlocs are an existing race in the Warcraft universe.
- Slark's response ▶️ "Met you once, cut you twice." is a reference to the carpentry phrase "measure twice, cut once".
- Slark's respawn line ▶️ "Griefer madness..." is a reference to the propaganda film Reefer Madness. As well, a griefer is a role a player assumes while in a multiplayer game to deliberately irritate other players.
- Slark's weapon, a shiv, is the traditional prison weapon and is a reference to his backstory.