Ostarion, the Skeleton King, is a powerful melee strength hero, capable of taking plenty of damage before dying. His ultimate allows him to rise again, acting like an Aegis of the Immortal, making him especially difficult to kill. He also has a nuke that deals reliable damage and stuns, and he is able to stay in his lane longer because of his passive lifesteal aura. He can become a hard carry in later stages of the game depending on his farm.
- Hellfire Blast travels at a speed of 1000.
- Deals the base damage instantly upon hitting, and the damage over time in 1 second intervals, starting immediately after the stun.
- Can deal up to 80/160/230/300 damage (before reductions).
- Skeleton King does not revive if he does not have enough mana.
- If Skeleton King has an , Reincarnation triggers first, considering it is off cooldown and Skeleton King has sufficient mana.
- Reincarnation cannot be prevented in any way as long as Skeleton King has enough mana and the ability is off cooldown.
- Slow is applied at the beginning of the revival, not the end.
- or a provide Ostarion with a decent amount of regeneration in the laning phase.
- gives Ostarion more opportunities to set up kills early on with .
- Two give Skeleton King enough mana pool to cast two times at level 1.
- is an excellent starting item for Ostarion as it allows him to get last hits easier. It also makes hit harder against creeps and increases the effectiveness of when attacking creeps.
- can sometimes be the difference between a death and a kill. Its active usually grants enough mana to sustain .
- provide an excellent boost of speed for any hero.
- armor and health regeneration. can be built into an later on and gives extra survivability in the form of
- provides the same kind of benefit as the Magic Stick does, but it also provides a small amount of attributes. It makes great use of the earlier bought branches, making room for new items.
- intelligence. increases Ostarion's damage per second; attribute switching can also make his limited mana pool go much further if the treads are switched to
- is Ostarion's main DPS item. It is also easy to negate the health drain with the help of .
- makes Ostarion's physical attacks to hit harder, especially against targets with already low armor. also benefits greatly from it, as it heals based on dealt damage after armor reduction.
- stunned and then burst down after . Furthermore, as long as he is not disabled, he can keep hitting enemies, healing himself up with his aura. negates Ostarion's main weakness: being chain-
- increases Ostarion's damage output by increasing his attack speed and further reducing enemy armor. The aura from this item also increases his team's armor and attack speed. Since Skeleton King usually survives longer, the item's aura provides more impact.
- bash and, on top of , another active stun which also pierces spell immunity, which is very handy as he is easy to run away from if his own stun is on cooldown. not only gives Ostarion some health and a decent attack damage boost, it also gives his attacks a chance to
- gives Ostarion a great health, health regeneration and attack damage boost, making him even harder to kill and harder to ignore.
- evasion against enemies which rely on their physical attacks, and lets him cut off an enemy carry from their primary source of damage for a while. gives Ostarion some
- Butterfly or Heaven's Halberd, and provides him with a high chance to interrupt channeling spells when is not an option. increases Ostarion's attack damage, counters enemies with evasion abilities or items such as
- lifesteal aura's returns. is an excellent item for Ostarion to get due to it not dropping if activates upon death, thus making it less likely for him to lose it. When carrying the , Ostarion has to die 3 times to lose the Rapier. The great damage boost also increases his endurance by improving his
|On the millennial solstice known as Wraith-Night, Ostarion stood frozen amid the carnage, absorbing innumerable souls as his champions sacrificed their lives for the King. Now brimming with Wraith Essence, Ostarion immobilizes his adversaries with Wraithfire Blast, stunning and searing them over time. His greatsword smashes foes in one Mortal Strike, sapping their essence to feed his Vampiric Aura. Only fools trust the erratic reports of Ostarion's death. For when slain, the wraith energies that bind his body begin to reconstitute his parts, joining limb to torso until the Wraith King's Reincarnation comes full circle.|
|Roles:||Durable Carry Disabler|
- In DotA, Ostarion was known as King Leoric. Leoric was a recurring boss in the Diablo franchise, another game made by Blizzard. He is an iconic boss in Diablo; he reprises his role in Diablo III, through the alias "Skeleton King."
- Skeleton King was re-introduced into Dota2 with The International 10 Battle Pass, as an Arcana for Wraith King.
- The arcana strongly resembles the old Skeleton King design, using its skeleton and red fire theme, instead of wraiths and green fire.
- The custom voice also resembles the old voice more, and introduces many of the old voice lines which were altered or left out completely on Wraith King.
- A low-violence version of the arcana exists as well, which also resembles the old low-violence version of the Skeleton King's old design.
Low Violence model