Nortrom, the Silencer, is a ranged intelligence hero who can be played as a support, carry, or initiator. He is one of the few intelligence heroes that truly benefit from intelligence items and is effective against heroes that rely mostly on spells, as he can silence them while stealing their intelligence and adding it to his own. He is a notorious anti-caster hero who can disrupt the magical abilities of his enemies and cripple spellcasters throughout the game. Arcane Curse slows and causes enemies to lose health for a set duration, but increases with each spell the enemy casts, forcing them to either wait and cast no spell until it expires, or cast spells and prolong the debuff and thus take more damage. Last Word places a curse on Nortrom's target that damages and silences for a long duration if the target casts a spell. If the target does not cast a spell before the curse duration ends the effects are the same. Glaives of Wisdom is an active attack modifier that deals a percentage of Nortrom's intelligence as pure damage, as well as steal intelligence with every attack. On top of that, the glaives also allow him to permanently steal the intelligence of enemy heroes that die near him or are directly killed by him, adding it to his own. This rewards his presence in teamfights, also making his glaives ever stronger as the battle goes on. Nortrom's ultimate, Global Silence, silences all enemy units on the map for a few seconds. A well-timed Global Silence can be used to save yourself or an ally, initiate a teamfight, or ruin the enemy's initiation.
- Whenever an affected unit casts an ability, the duration is increased by 3 seconds. The penalty duration has no stack limit.
- Deals damage in 1-second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 6 + 3 per penalty) instances.
- Can deal up to 96/144/192/240 + 48/72/96/120 per penalty ( + per penalty) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- If an affected unit gets silenced, the duration is suspended and the damage and slow values are multiplied by 2 until the silence expires.
- Suspends the duration by increasing the debuff's duration by 1 second on each interval.
- Slows movement speed by 18%/24%/30%/36% ( ) for silenced units.
- Deals 32/48/64/80 ( ) damage per second to silenced units.
- Successive casts of Arcane Curse fully stack, with each cast placing an independent debuff.
- The sound effect played on every damage instance is only audible to the affected unit's player.
Although the status buff is copied by illusions, the stolen intelligence is not copied.
- The cast range of Glaves of Wisdom is based on the attack range of the caster.
- The cast range can be further increased by other attack range bonuses. However, it is not affected by cast range bonuses.
- The level 15 talent bonus attack range talent increases the cast range to .
- The bonus damage is dealt in a separate damage instance, and counts as spell damage.
- Deals its damage before the attack damage is applied, but still depends on the attack hitting the target.
- Checks Silencer's intelligence upon projectile hit, so changes in his intelligence while the projectile flies affect its damage.
- Temporary steals intelligence before applying its damage, so it does affect the glaives' damage right away.
- Temporary intelligence steals cannot reduce enemy intelligence below 0, but Silencer always gains the full amount of intelligence, no matter how much the target has left.
- Cannot steal intelligence from illusions or from , but can temporarily steal from the .
- Reduces the target's current mana by 12/12/24/36, instead of keeping the current mana percentage.
- This lost mana is returned upon the debuff expiring.
- The target also effectively loses 0.05/0.05/0.1/0.15 mana regeneration (and 1/1/2/3 attack damage if it is an intelligence hero).
- Vice versa, it temporarily increases Silencer's mana, mana regeneration, and attack damage by the same amount per cast.
- Unlike the target, Silencer keeps his current mana percentage upon gaining and losing the temporary intelligence.
- Each attack places a new
buff/debuff on both Silencer and the target. This means their durations are independent from each other.
- The on both Silencer and his targets show how much intelligence they gained or lost.
- Upon death, the dying hero's intelligence restores back to its normal values, while Silencer keeps the bonus intelligence values for the remaining duration.
- Permanently stolen intelligence is removed from the enemy's base intelligence and added to Silencer's base intelligence.
- A +2 appears above Silencer's head, indicating that he stole the enemy's intelligence.
- Does not permanently steal intelligence if the dying hero has Reincarnation, is an illusion, from the , or if Silencer is dead as the kill happens.
- To permanently steal intelligence outside the steal radius, Silencer has to make the killing blow himself. His summons or illusions do not count.
- When killing or his clones, only Meepo Prime gets his intelligence stolen.
- Denied enemy heroes count as well, as long as it happens within 925 range of Silencer.
- The number of stolen intelligence gained/lost can be seen on the status buff icon.
- The permanent intelligence steal cannot reduce enemy base intelligence below 1. Silencer also does not gain intelligence from heroes that are at 1 intelligence.
- Enemy heroes effectively lose 24 mana, 0.1 mana regeneration (and 2 attack damage if it is an intelligence hero).
- Vice versa, it permanently increases Silencer's mana, mana regeneration, and attack damage by the same amount per stack.
- The permanent intelligence steal is not retroactive, it cannot gain charges from kills and deaths before Glaives of Wisdom is learned.
, the glaive bounces towards the closest enemy unit within range of the attack target.
- The bounced glaive travel at the same speed as the leading attack projectile.
- The projectile speed can be further increased by other attack projectile speed bonuses.
- Does not perform instant attacks. The projectiles deal regular spell damage.
- The glaive deals damage based on the damage amount calculated for the leading attack. Attack damage amount is calculated upon attack begin.
- This means it works with critical strike and quell, since these are included in the initial damage calculations.
- This also means that it does not matter how much damage the attack actually did to the target, since that part is being calculated on projectile hit.
- It also means that other conditional attack damage bonuses (i.e. damage proc) are not included, since these happen later in the calculations as well.
- The bounced glaives still apply the intelligence-based damage separately, and temporarily steal intelligence of its target as well, if it is a hero.
- When the target casts an ability during the 4 seconds initial debuff duration, the target gets damaged, then silenced , and then the cast ability takes effect.
- Although the silence happens first, the ability's effects are already queued up, therefore the silence does not prevent the target from casting the ability.
- However death does stop the ability, meaning if the damage from Last Word is enough to kill the target, the cast ability does not go off.
- This means that damage negating effects (e.g. ) and abilities that provide spell immunity (e.g. ) do not block Last Word's damage.
- Fully ignores abilities that do not trigger on-cast effects (i.e. active attack modifiers and toggle-abilities).
- Triggers on channeling abilities, but waits for the channel to stop first.
- With , Last Word only applies its effects when the ability is canceled by the player prematurely.
- This means if Phase Shift expires on its own, Last Word's damage and silence are not applied.
- When the initial debuff expires, it still damages and silences the target.
- Last Word first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- If the target has no intelligence, only the base damage is applied.
- The initial debuff provides shared vision over the target for its duration.
- The silence affects spell immune, invisible and invulnerable creeps, summons and heroes. Does not affect hidden units.
- The sound effect of Global Silence which plays on each enemy's hero has the highest sound priority in the game.
- This means it heavily tones down other game sounds for enemies, making it basically the only sound they can hear during the silence.
|+1.2xInt Multiplier||20||+400 Health|
|+8%Slow||15||+100 Attack Range|
|+20 Attack Speed||10||+15Damage|
- Level 15 left talent: +10% movement speed slow reduced to +8%.
- Level 20 left talent: +1.5 intelligence difference multiplier reduced to +1.2.
- Reduced strength gain from 2.7 to 2.4.
- Increased health regeneration from 0 to 0.25.
- Now deals doubled damage and slows for doubled values when the target is silenced.
- Reduced penalty duration from 5 to 3.
- Level 10 right talent changed: +6 armor ➜ +15 damage per second.
- Level 15 left talent changed: +2 permanent intellgience steal ➜ +10% movement speed slow.
- Level 15 right talent changed: +30 attack range. damage per second ➜ +100
- Level 20 left talent changed: +20% movement speed slow ➜ +1.5 intelligence difference multiplier.
- Level 20 right talent changed: +100 attack range ➜ +400 health.
- Level 25 left talent changed: 30% cooldown reduction ➜ mutes items.
- sustains Silencer's health in lane; as a support, he can also share the item with his team.
- also restores health to Silencer or an ally.
- allows Silencer to harass enemies with his abilities as needed.
- provides damage for securing last hits and denies and amplifies the damage from glaives.
- has all the benefits of Magic Stick, along with providing stats and greater charge storage. As Silencer is quite vulnerable to enemy attacks even as a carry, burst HP regen is always helpful.
- help Silencer get close enough to use abilities, and potentially get kills or assists to enjoy Intelligence Steal.
- also provides movement speed boost. Additionally, it can build into Eul's Scepter of Divinity or Drum of Endurance.
- transports Silencer to fights in order to steal early intelligence.
- is the best first item for Silencer giving him intelligence, armor, attack speed and perfect passive that synergies with passive effects of glaives.
- provides Silencer with attack speed and appropriate attributes, particularly strength to give him more health. The ability to switch attributes can help with spell casting and outputting damage.
- can be used on himself or a teammate as an escape mechanism or him to close the distance upon a fleeing enemy, or can be used to push an enemy out of position. Also, it improves his attack range and allowing him to finish off an opponent with four glaives at long range.
is a powerful item to build on a carry Silencer, synergizing with all of his spells. Orchid is the only item which gives a large amount of int, mana regeneration, attack speed, and attack damage in one spot, and they're all things Silencer needs if he wants to be an effective carry.
- Arcane Curse's duration pauses when silenced, so a third source of silences increases the effectiveness of this spell, and increases the likelihood of being able to apply a second curse, before the first wears off.
- Glaives of Wisdom get more damage and more attack speed, plus Orchid's active will amplify all the damage done during its duration.
- Last word's biggest weakness is the 4 second delay before damage and silence is inflicted, allowing ganked targets to cast an escape spell. By using Soul Burn, then Last word, the delay duration becomes a benefit, as it provides True Sight over the target for the full duration, and continues into a total of 11 seconds of silence without using Silencer's ultimate.
- , upgraded from Orchid Malevolence, provides additional critical strike and True Strike to counter evasion and bring down even the tankiest heroes.
- provides a strong disable. It also gives intelligence and strength, as well as powerful mana regeneration to sustain his abilities.
- spell immunity so he can continue to output damage without worrying about enemy disables. greatly increases Silencer's survivability with strength and
- suits an offensive Silencer in the early game, increasing the power of pushes with attack speed and improving his ability to chase enemies with movement speed.
- , a support item, grants invisibility and magic resistance to Silencer and allies so they can escape.
- is a powerful mobility tool, no matter what role Silencer is played in. As a support he can easily position himself to cast his disables on the enemy, as well as use it to evade enemy ganks. As a carry, it gives him strong positioning, allowing him to move quickly into a fight to attack after disabling the enemy with his ultimate. Or to simply blink in to steal intelligence from dying enemy heroes.
- increases movement speed and mana regeneration so Silencer can make plays on the map. The active Cyclone can disable enemies, remove debuffs from yourself, and make yourself temporarily invulnerable.
- root to catch enemies out of position, or to hold them in place so Silencer can retreat. provides both intelligence and strength, as well as a
- increases Silencer's survivability against physical damage while also granting him more intelligence to fuel his abilities and attacks, making it a well-rounded item. The slow can also help chase down fleeing enemies more easily.
- synergizes well with silence so enemies cannot use abilities or items, while being slow every time an attack land on them.
- , an ultimate late game item, enables Silencer to inflict a 12 seconds silence at highest level that pierces spell immunity and invulnerability, shutting down enemy heroes who rely on using abilities in team fights. It also refreshes items so he can use Black King Bar or Bloodthorn a second time, improving survivability and damage output.
|Roles:||Carry Support Disabler Initiator Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Two hundred years of selective breeding had produced Nortrom, the prophesied war-mage that would bring glory to the order of Aeol Drias. Therefore, disgust and disappointment followed when it was found that the boy could cast not even a hex. Yet, on the day of final testing, Nortrom would have the Last Word. His arranged opponents fell under an Arcane Curse, draining their health with each incantation made. Then, there was Global Silence. Not a gasp or whisper escaped their lips as Nortrom finished off each challenger with his multipronged Glaives of Wisdom. At that moment, it became clear to all watching: The absence of magic can be the greatest magic of all.|
- Unlike most heroes, Silencer's attack projectiles actually use the model of his equipped cosmetic weapon.
, and , Silencer received a color palette change, changing his model and icons, having his former red armor replaced with violet.
- Before his palette change, newer players would occasionally mistake Silencer for , and he would sometimes be referred to as "The other Dragon Knight". Even after the palette swap, some older players may refer to him as "Purple Dragon Knight".
- Silencer's spell sound effects are based on some of his voice lines. Arcane Curse debuff sounds is based on "▶️ Curse you!", Last Word is based on one of his laughing lines and Global Silence is based on ▶️ this.
- is a member of the Knights of the Fold which would make him an enemy to Silencer based on Silencer's background. Despite this, there is no dialogue between the two heroes.