|Atos, the Lord of Blight, has his essence stored in this deceptively simple wand.|
- The item's attributes grants the following bonuses:
- The root duration from Cripple is long enough to ensure that a target gets frozen.
- Also forces the target to stay within 's range for longer, so they take more magic damage.
- Cripple allows Grimstroke to land easily.
- Grimstroke can root both enemies linked with .
- Cripple into is a reliable stun despite LSA's effect delay.
- Cripple makes landing 's slow projectile easier.
- Cripple will also help you get close to an enemy for , if you want to save for an escape.
- is easy to land on a rooted enemy.
- Cripple allows you to close the distance on an enemy to them.
- Helps Razor stay within range of an enemy to drain more damage.
- Cripple also helps get the distance right to maximise damage.
- Cripple can be used to hold an enemy within range of .
- Synergizes extremely well with , rooting an enemy long enough for the spell to deal almost all of its damage.
- Cripple also helps compensate for 's slow travel speed, holding a target in place for the spell to impact more quickly and keeping them in range long enough for Skywrath Mage to cast multiple Arcane Bolts. The bonus Intelligence also increases Arcane Bolt's damage.
- Cripple can be used to root an enemy near a tree while you close the gap and hit for pure damage.
- Rooting an enemy in ensures they take more damage.
- Cripple traps opponents within the radius of to guarantee its break effect.
- Also helps Viper land and onto intended targets.
- Root is a great disable to make a melee hero unable to reach his target and attack and later to force them to use their while out of position.
- Combine it with an to push away your target then root him for preventing your enemy from attacking or escaping.
- The item can be used for ganking, chasing survivors after a team fight, or to escape.
- The very long cast range makes the Rod of Atos an effective item to disable an enemy from afar, although it requires the projectile to connect.
- The particle effects of Cripple include runes resembling the Elvish scripts from The Lord of the Rings, a novel by J.R.R. Tolkien (specifically the alphabet bee or umbar in Tengwar).
- The item is sometimes referred to as the "Rod of Aui", after pro player Aui_2000, who popularized buying the item on many heroes.
Main Article: Rod of Atos/Changelogs