|Traditions||Arts of Oblivion|
Hailing from the Nether Reaches, Pugna is the latest descendant in a lineage of reincarnated beings who are the superior practitioners of the Arts of Oblivion. Chosen at a tender age by the regents of the late Grandmaster of Oblivion to determine their master's next reincarnation, he wasted no time and effort in displaying his innate ability to wield the power of Oblivion and the Nether Realm, qualifying him to the throne of his predecessor.
Having grown more powerful than his previous incarnation as he learned more dark magics in his academy and grew older, he now wields the emerald flames of the Nether Reaches and the power of Oblivion with indiscriminate effect: incinerating anyone he wishes, toppling their creations into ashes, and stealing whatever he wants from whoever he deigns to notice.
Born in the Nether Reaches, Pugna was only thirteen months old when he was selected among two other ankle biters by the regents of the late Grandmaster of Oblivion. Years before little Pugna's rite of passage, the Grandmaster had passed into Oblivion, leaving his temple for the Arts of Oblivion without a leader. From the moment of his passing, his regents immediately began rites of divination to identify their master's next reincarnation, and eventually all omens converged on the children of the village before their master's temple.
On the appointed day, the infantile Pugna (alongside two other promising tots) was brought to the late grandmaster's temple to verify the prophecies of their master's reincarnation. The lamas presented a hodgepodge of the grandmaster's worn belongings before them to see if any of them could recognize the relics from a previous life. One little boy picked up a porphyry wand that belonged to the head lama and put it in his nostril. An impish girl took an amulet that also belonged to the lama and immediately swallowed it. But Pugna came along and regarded them coolly, letting out a merry laugh, before incinerating them both in puffs of Nether Fire. He then snatched the items (that were somehow not burned) from their remains and exclaimed "Mine!"
With their master's reincarnation identified, the lamas hoisted the smiling Pugna on their shoulders, wrapped him in their former master's regalia, and rushed him to the throne before his mood could change. Within five years, the temple itself was another pile of ash, which pleased Pugna to no end.
The Wizard and the Netherdrake
As an elderly being, Pugna captured a malevolent netherdrake named Viper from the luminous caverns of the Nether Reaches where the toxic drakes thrived for millions of years. The sadistic wizard hoped to tame this beast, casting enchainments and dark sorceries to make it submit to him. Unbeknownst to him was the netherdrake's intentional submission to his magic and bondage—the netherdrake had hoped to learn his master's practices. During Viper's enslavement, Pugna was also practicing the art of magical augmentation, which Viper observed with great interest.
Viper would soon learn that some of his master's sorceries were deadly for him to endure, and so he sought immediate escape. Exuding an acid that melted the bars of his cage, he set himself free and spat poison in Pugna's eyes before escaping his prison. As for Pugna, it would seem that he has survived being poisoned by the most toxic creature alive, which may be the reason why he became a skeleton. Alongside his other nefarious goals, he now seeks to reclaim his lost pet Viper.
Pugna had no interest in the battle between the Red Mist and Stonehall, neither did he have any significant influence on it. Instead, he sets himself against the Tyler Estate and the Quorum as a one mage army against the forces that seek to control magic, before finally setting his sights on Weeping Rose when they both have been burned to ash.
Personality and Mannerisms
- Although he is way past his younger years, Pugna still retains some of his childish demeanors. He is prone to tantrums, mischievous, and selfish.
- Pugna is a sadistic person. He even taught his brand of sadism to his pet Viper.
- Pugna is fond of domination and control. His brand of nihilism contradicts this however, making him a hypocrite.
- Pugna is a nihilist. Not the stereotypical nihilist that believes nothing really matters, but Pugna is a nihilist who rejects moral principles. He puts his views into practice by aiming to destroy the Tyler Estate and the Quorum, both of which have established principles and boundaries to the usage of both good and bad magic. It would seem that there is no forbidden magic in their view, but they still seek to control the use of magic in general, which Pugna doesn't take kindly to.
Pugna acts as a proxy for Ix'yxa the Destroyer in finding new paths to the surface world for Ix'yxa to traverse. As a proxy, he wears a headpiece that holds the eye of Ix'yxa which carefully watches over him to make sure that he holds up his end of the deal.
The elderly Pugna took Viper as a pet and as a test subject for deadly spells that he was working with. Viper poisoned his master and broke out of his bonds, swearing vengeance and enslavement on all who were like him. It would seem that Pugna survived the encounter (likely the reason why he now looks undead) and wishes to reclaim his pet.
- In Artifact, Viper succumbed to ennui when he escaped from Pugna, not being content with his freedom. Pugna was still unpunished, and so he flew back to reciprocate the suffering that he received from him. He soon came to a realization that Pugna was part of a bigger problem—there were many magicians just like him who enslave and control familiars. Having reached a vile conclusion, Viper soared out with a new mission to enslave not only Pugna, but all other practitioners of magecraft.
- In the same continuity, it seems that Pugna has a non-sexual D/s relationship with Viper.
Powers and Abilities
Arts of Oblivion
As a part of a legacy of reincarnated masters of Oblivion, Pugna is well-trained in the Arts of Oblivion. He is also knowledgeable on the arts of magical augmentation.
All of Pugna's powers are applications of the Arts of Oblivion. Some of his powers were learned in the academy for the Arts of Oblivion, and some were his birthright as a reincarnation of his predecessor.
ethereal because of the implied spiritual existence of the place. Their ethereal status renders them unable to influence or be influenced by matters material, but it leaves them just as vulnerable as they were against magical or spiritual attacks.is a spell that Pugna has mastered in his childhood at the academy for the Arts of Oblivion. This spell will banish its target to the Nether Realm, causing them to become
Arguably one of his most annoying abilities, his mana or other magic resources for casting spells in its presence.acts as a turret that automatically shoots blasts of Nether magic at nearby casters that dares to spend
- Pugna also has the Draining Wight as one of his Nether Wards. This ward exists on the boundary between the corporeal realm and an unnamed spiritual plane of existence, which might be the Nether Reaches where it draws its power from. Because of this, it exists on two planes at once, causing it to be half-corporeal and half-ethereal, part bone and part spirit. The ward can drain the lifeforce of its victims, much like its master.
Testimony to his greater power over his predecessors, allows Pugna to steal the lifeforce of others, channeling their essence into his being. Despite its power, it is implied to have a cooldown, which is removed by the power of .
- Card art of this ability in Artifact Foundry depicts this ability stealing the soul of its victim as well, channeling it into the gem at the base of his collar.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Pugna
- ▶️ Let's show them what bones alone can do.
- ▶️ Join me, my bony brethren.
- ▶️ You're a dangerous little man. I like that.
- ▶️ Be careful Pugna. If you burn down the world, there's nothing left to play with.
- ▶️ I don't have much experience around children. There weren't any for the bulk of my life.
- ▶️ I would never guess we had so much in common!
- ▶️ ▶️ Strange bedfellows, huh Pugna?
- ▶️ ▶️ No, I don't want to see your Nether Ward. Stop asking.
- ▶️ You're a great addition to my guard, Pugna.
- ▶️ It is quite difficult to annoy me, Pugna... But you do an excellent job.
- ▶️ Stop playing with your Nether Blast and push!
- ▶️ Who is that down there? Well hello! It's Pugna!
- ▶️ Pugna, I am glad to see your wards in our service.
- ▶️ Before you think of stealing a cookie, remember: I prefer capital over corporal punishment.
Enemies killing Pugna
- ▶️ Pugna's full of phosphorus? That makes sense.
- ▶️ You've gone too far, Pugna!
- ▶️ Go back to Oblivion!
- ▶️ Squibbling worm!
- ▶️ You coddled little tail-jerker! Someone shoulda done this ages ago!
- ▶️ ▶️ You haven't earned anything, runt.
- ▶️ ▶️ The battlefield's no place for tantrums, Pugna.
- ▶️ I'll pick my teeth with your bones.
- ▶️ I have little patience for child's play.
- ▶️ It's time someone gave you proper discipline.
- ▶️ Falls right off the bone.
- ▶️ Mm, short ribs.
- ▶️ May the arts of oblivion die with you, Pugna.
- ▶️ There dies the most repugnant of them all!
- ▶️ Your wards were no match for the Skywrath!
- ▶️ A low creature indeed was Pugna!
- ▶️ Pitch a fit all ya like. I've got the resolve to outlast ya.
- ▶️ Some shootings are accidental. This was not one of 'em.
- ▶️ You were nasty, brutal, and most of all short.
- ▶️ I warned you not to interrupt me.
- ▶️ Blame me not for lack of warning when your life goes swirling, swirling down the drain.
- Darkest Dungeon Announcer response: ▶️ Pugna. Part of a legacy of reincarnated beings who have mastered the destructive power of Oblivion itself.
- Malefic Drake's Hood description.
- Viper biography.
- Artifact Card: Pugna
- Friendships and rivalries
- Pugna response: ▶️ Time to earn myself a bad reputation.
- Pugna response: ▶️ As bad as things get, I can always come up with a way to make them a little worse.
- Pugna response: ▶️ I renew my vows to cause the most possible suffering.
- Pugna response: ▶️ I'll take all you have and more.
- Pugna response: ▶️ I take and I take.
- Artifact - Pugna response: Mine! Always mine!
- Artifact Card: Crippling Blow
- Artifact Card: Nether Ward
- Artifact Card: Intimidation
- Nether Ward description.
- Pugna response: ▶️ Roll over and show me your belly.
- Artifact - Pugna response: I have not lost control, I am control!
- Artifact Card: Emissary of the Quorum
- Artifact Card: Tyler Estate Censor
- Chalice of Ix'yxa description.
- Eye of Ix'yxa description.
- Artifact - Pugna response: I will prove to the Dire that I am more worthy than you!
- Artifact - Pugna response: Dire child, you are nothing compared to me.
- Artifact - Pugna response: I get why your daughter hates you so much, Prellex.
- Pugna's rival responses towards Viper.
- Artifact - Pugna response: What are you thinking, foolish pet? Obey your master!
- Artifact - Pugna response: You have been missed, dearest pet. You are mine now. And forever.
- Artifact Card: Crippling Blow
- Draining Wight description.
- Pugna response: ▶️ I hereby banish any need for patience.
- Pugna response: ▶️ Life Drain - no waiting.