Azwraith, the Phantom Lancer, is a melee agility hero who can fill the role of carry and pusher because of his ability to generate an army of illusions in a matter of seconds. He requires deep cunning, positioning, and most importantly, great micromanagement as his illusions might just get in the way rather than help the situation if not utilized correctly. Many of his abilities help him in his creation of images, allowing him to always have a companion. He has a nuke ability in Spirit Lance, which deals moderate damage, slows the target, and creates an illusion at his target's location. His escape ability Doppelganger allows him to quickly relocate himself and any nearby illusions while creating additional ones, possibly tricking enemies into wasting their spells and time in trying to kill said illusions. His toggle Phantom Rush allows him and his illusions to close the distance toward a target when issued an attack order, giving him the ability to quickly focus single targets in battle. His ultimate Juxtapose gives him the ability to generate a large number of illusions when attacking a target, while giving said illusions the ability to replicate themselves as well. Phantom Lancer is an extremely mobile hero who is hard to pin down and can quickly overwhelm his opponents in battle.
Also stops the lance from bouncing when hitting a spell immune unit.
- Spirit Lance travels at a speed of 1000.
- The lance first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- The illusion spawns 58 range away from the target, at random spot around it.
- All illusions owned by Phantom Lancer within 675 range of Phantom Lancer also cast a fake Spirit Lance.
- They play the whole cast animation and release their fake lances at the same time the real lance is released.
- When illusions currently are not having any order and are standing still, they turn to face the target and cast the fake lances.
- When illusions are moving or attacking, they continue to do so and do not turn to face the target. They still play the cast animation, overriding their move or attack animations.
- When canceling the cast, the illusions still play the full cast animation, but do not release the fake lances.
- The fake lances do not interact with anything and nothing on impact.
- With , the projectile bounces on another unit within a radius.
- Phantom Lancer and his affected illusions are invulnerable and hidden during the reappear delay.
- They are unable to do anything during the reappear delay. Any order given during it is queued as next order.
- Phantom Lancer and the 2 created illusions face the direction Phantom Lancer was facing upon cast.
- Other illusions which got gathered keep their previous facing angle.
- Phantom Lancer and his illusions reappear in a formation shaped like a plus, with a bit of variaton.
- Illusions which were moving or attacking a target continue to move or attack their target after reappearing.
- Destroys trees within 150 radius of Phantom Lancer and every affected illusion upon reappearing.
- All illusions gathered with Doppelganger get their duration increased. The illusions created with this cast are not affected by this.
- The duration extension happens upon cast, so they effectively gain 1 second extra duration, since it takes 1 second for the illusions and Phantom Lancer to reappear.
- The normal damage taking and no damage dealing illusion is brighter and can be distinguished by Phantom Lancer and his allies from other illusions.
- The 20% damage taking and 600% damage dealing illusion looks like any other illusion Phantom Lancer can create.
- Unlike illusions created by Phantom Lancer's other abilities, Doppelganger illusions use the default bounty values which scale with levels.
- Doppelganger cannot be interrupted by anything except death. This means when getting teleported (with e.g. ), Phantom Lancer still appears at the targeted area.
- Can be toggled On to not activate.
- Only Phantom Lancer can toggle it, it still remains toggled Off for his illusions.
- Requires a direct attack order (A or Right Click) to trigger. Auto attacks or ground-targeted orders do not trigger Phantom Rush.
- Disarm or ethereal effects do not prevent Phantom Lancer from rushing, however, attack immune units (e.g. invulnerable or ethereal) cannot be targeted.
- Upon triggering, Phantom Lancer receives the rush buff, which grants haste and phased movement.
- This buff lasts for up to 5 seconds, until Phantom Lancer successfully hits the rush target, or until he receives another order.
- Non-targeted items do not cancel the rush. ↓↓ Double-tapping items to cast on self still count as targeted.
- The rush buff is also lost when Phantom Lancer gets stunned, cycloned, slept, hexed or hidden.
- Roots do not cause Phantom Lancer to lose the buff and he continues rushing once the ensnare expires.
- Taunts cause Phantom Lancer to rush towards the taunting unit instead without making him lose the buff. Forced attacks caused by taunts do not make him lose it either.
- Fear does not make him lose the buff either, so that he flees with the rush speed.
- When the target turns hidden, invisible or moves into the Fog of War, Phantom Lancer rushes towards the unit's last known location.
- Phantom Lancer gains the agility buff as soon as he loses the rush buff.
- It does not matter how he loses the rush buff, the agility buff is always gained.
- The chance to spawn illusions only triggers upon attacking.
- Juxtapose uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Illusions created by Juxtapose attack the target that the ability was triggered upon.
- This means that illusions created by Juxtapose use when their target is in correct range.
- The illusions spawns 72 range away from Phantom Lancer, appearing either north, east, south or west from him.
- Juxtapose works for all illusions of Phantom Lancer, not just the ones from his abilities.
- This includes illusions created with items (e.g. ) or with other abilities (e.g. ).
- This means that even enemy illusions of Phantom Lancer have a chance to spawn new ones for the owner of the illusion.
, Juxtapose turns into an active ability. The passive component is still present.
- When cast, all currently existing Juxtapose illusions get instantly destroyed.
- Spawns the illusions in intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in a total spawn duration of seconds.
- The illusions spawn in a random location within the spawn radius.
|+24% Critical Strike (200%)||25||-4sCD|
|+15 Attack Speed||10||+150 Health|
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- The evasion talent stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
- Reduced base attack damage from 28-38 to 26-36.
- Reduced armor from 0 to -1.
- Reduced agility bonus from 11/22/33/44 to 10/20/30/40.
- No longer increases cast range by 200.
- Reduced bounce distance from 900 to 750.
- Reduced illusion damage dealt bonus from 50% to 40%.
- Rescaled base attack damage from 26-40 to 28-38.
- Reduced cast range from 600 to 575.
- Reduced tree destruction radius from 200 to 150.
- Reduced maximum rush distance from 600/700/800/900 to 600/675/750/825.
- Increased illusion damage dealt bonus from 30% to 50%.
- Level 15 left talent: -2s cooldown increased to -3s.
- Level 20 left talent: +4% illusion damage dealt increased to +5%.
- Level 20 right talent: +350 range reduced to +300.
- Now also increases cast range by 200.
- helps keep Phantom Lancer longer alive during the early game.
- is a standard regeneration item, useful for any hero to stay longer in lane.
- helps Phantom Lancer endure harassment, and can be consumed to get off one last Spirit Lance or Doppelganger.
- provides an extremely cost effective increase to his attributes, and can later be built into a .
- is a useful tool for keeping Phantom Lancer alive, especially when being ganked. It also provides a little more mana to use an extra Spirit Lance or Doppelganger.
- grant bonus movement speed to keep up with the enemies.
- provides some protection against magical damage, as well as giving mana regeneration to sustain abilities.
- give Phantom Lancer attack speed and attributes, which illusions can take advantage of.
is one of the most effective items on Phantom Lancer, as its mana burn works on all of his illusions, allowing Phantom Lancer to quickly deplete an opponent's mana pool.
- The mana burn damage is not affected by the illusions' attack damage penalty, therefore greatly increasing his damage output the more illusions are spawned.
- The extra agility increases Phantom Lancer's as well as his illusions' attack damage and attack speed.
- The active ability slows enemies, and combined with Phantom Rush, helps him and his illusions chase down enemies.
- dispel debuffs from Phantom Lancer, and provides him with a second disjoint mechanism. It can also be used to create extra illusions, which last longer and hit harder, and can multiply on their own with Juxtapose. Extra illusions are especially useful for split pushing. can
- 's passive slow benefits illusions, and works together with 's mana burn, rendering enemies helpless and unable to escape Phantom Lancer.
- provides Phantom Lancer with a large amount of much-needed HP, which carries over to his illusions, thus making them harder to kill. Phantom Lancer's natural elusiveness will make it easy for him to blend in with his illusions and regenerate mid-fight.
- evasion, making them and Phantom Lancer himself much more durable. is a damage item that is a worthwhile late-game pickup on most agility carries. Illusions will also benefit from the
- makes Phantom Lancer significantly tankier, and is useful for split pushing. For late game teamfights, it can be upgraded into an .
- provides strength and agility, both of which are useful on Phantom Lancer, as well as his illusions. However, it is not recommended if Phantom Lancer already has a , as the speed bonus from does not stack.
- is the final damage item that can be purchased if Phantom Lancer is struggling against tankier heroes. His illusions will also receive the critical strike bonus.
- makes Phantom Lancer an intimidating pusher, as the burn damage aura works on his illusions, and enemies are unlikely to move out of its range due to Phantom Rush and Spirit Lance. The minor blind effect also helps Phantom Lancer stay alive.
- makes Phantom Lancer a powerful split-pusher in the late game, and also allows him to return to base after generating an illusion army to push down lanes.
- allows Phantom Lancer to stun targets, giving him the time to land multiple hits and generate illusions.
- evasion heroes, or in the late game as a luxury item. It provides a decent attack damage and procs magical damage. should be purchased against
- is less common on Phantom Lancer than on other carries, but is sometimes necessary against enemies with numerous disables.
|Roles:||Carry Escape Pusher Nuker|
|Playstyle:||As Azwraith drove his pike through Vorn, the Dread Magus shattered into innumerable shards of light, saturating his killer with a strange new power. Once a humble fisherman, the Phantom Lancer spears targets from afar with Spirit Lance, spawning an illusion to harass his opponent as he closes the gap with Phantom Rush. When cornered, he vanishes briefly from the battlefield, reappearing at a nearby spot while leaving behind two Doppelgangers to confuse pursuers. In the heat of combat, Azwraith summons illusions through Juxtapose, overwhelming foes before their eyes can scarcely distinguish the Phantom Lancer from his army of clones.|
- In DotA, Phantom Lancer's in-game model was a fan interpretation of Kimahri Ronso, a playable character in the RPG game Final Fantasy X. As such, the Phantom Lancer of Dota 2 gained many similarities with Kimahri, namely the blue skin, humanoid feline appearance, and halberd weapon.
- Phantom Lancer's model shares design similarities with, and may have been based on earlier concepts of .