Donté Panlin, the Pangolier, is a melee agility hero. Due to his aggressive and brawling-oriented nature, he is best played in a position where he can quickly get an item advantage over the enemy. Perhaps his most iconic skill is the vector-targeted Swashbuckle, a trickster's tool for swordplay and mobility. Other tools in his kit include Shield Crash, which deals an area nuke and provides him with incoming damage reduction for each enemy hero hit, Lucky Shot, giving his attacks a chance to disarm, and Rolling Thunder, during which he curls into an unstoppable rolling ball which stuns and knocks back anything it hits, at the cost of a decreased turn rate.
Pangolier does not need to be facing towards a unit in order to move, attack, use abilities, or items.
- Casting Swashbuckle during immediately cancels Rolling Thunder.
- Pangolier dashes towards the targeted point at a speed of 2000. Can dash over impassable terrain and through trees.
- After the dash, Pangolier performs 4 slashes towards the targeted direction.
- Slashes in 0.1-second intervals, starting immediately upon reaching the target point, taking 0.3 seconds in total.
- During the dash and the 4 slashes, Pangolier is stunned, and therefore unable to act.
- Causes Pangolier to perform instant attacks on all hit enemies.
- These instant attacks can proc any attack modifiers (including ) and on-hit effects normally. They have True Strike, and completely ignore disarms.
- Swashbuckle does not trigger damage block.
- Cleave effects are based on the hit enemies position, damaging a trapezoid area the opposite direction where the attacks came from.
- Despite the audio, the slashes do not hit ethereal units, so that attack modifiers may not proc.
- Also applies an instant attack on each enemy Pangolier directly dashes through.
- Sets Pangolier's damage to the given values. This means attack damage bonuses and reductions are completely ignored.
- Items which add a flat attack damage bonus on proc (e.g. or ) still apply their damage.
- All slashes together can deal up to 96/168/240/312 ( ) damage per hit enemy (before reductions).
- The talent immediately updates the remaining slashes of the current cast of Swashbuckle.
- Pangolier jumps 225 range forwards when cast, 250 range high. While in the air, other units can pass below him.
- During the short jump, Pangolier is stunned, and therefore unable to act. However, he is not disabled when jumping during Rolling Thunder.
- The actual length of the jump depends on the terrain. This means jumping onto a higher/lower ground results in a shorter/longer jump. This does not affect the jump distance.
- The area damage hits all enemies within range, but the buff only counts hit heroes.
- Applies generic incoming damage reduction on Pangolier. Stacks additively with other sources of generic incoming damage manipulation.
- The reduction affects all damage Pangolier takes that is not flagged as HP removal.
- This is how much damage reduction Pangolier has with a certain amount of heroes hit on each level.
- Level 1: 15%/30%/45%/60%/75%
- Level 2: 16%/32%/48%/64%/80%
- Level 3: 17%/34%/51%/68%/85%
- Level 4: 18%/36%/54%/72%/90%
- The five circling shields visual effect around Pangolier has 3 different states, based on how many enemies were hit.
- With 1 or 2 enemies hit, the shields are small and have no extra effects.
- With 3 enemies hit, the shields are bigger and gain a light yellow flame-like effect.
- With 4 or more enemies hit, the yellow flame gets much stronger.
- When recast while still having the buff from a previous cast, it refreshes, and the damage resistance updates if more enemy heroes were hit, but not if fewer were hit.
- If Pangolier is stunned mid jump, he does not apply the damage or gain the damage resistance buff upon landing.
and , Shield Crash only moves on the z axis (vertical movement), and does not move him on the x and y axis (horizontal movement).
- Due to how vertical and horizontal movement stack with each other, it does not interfere with abilities which move Pangolier on the x and y axis.
- This means when cast during Rolling Thunder, he effectively jumps in an arc, using the height of the jump and the velocity of Rolling Thunder.
- When Rolling Thunder or Roll Up expire during the jump of Shield Crash, their duration gets expanded based on how long the jump takes, so that the velocity is kept until landing.
- However, when Rolling Thunder or Roll Up are ended manually during the jump, via their sub-abilities, the velocity is lost, so that Pangolier falls straight down.
- Has a cast backswing of 0.54 during Rolling Thunder and Roll Up.
, of the current level is applied instantly upon cast, not upon landing.
- The location of the effect is set upon cast as well, and does not follow Pangolier.
- The angle is based on Pangolier's facing angle, with the other Swashbuckles being apart from each other.
- Swashbuckle notes fully apply. If it is not leveled, it is not applied.
- All slashes together can deal up to ) damage per hit enemy (before reductions). (
- The proccing attack first applies the debuff, then its own damage.
- Multiple procs on the same target do not stack, but refresh the duration instead.
- Lucky Shot uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- For better readability, the turn rate during Roll Up is given as per second, instead of per 0.03 seconds.
- 175° degrees per second equal a turn rate of 0.092.
- Pangolier does not roll during Roll Up, unless the attack of an hero (including illusions and clones, excluding creep-heroes) lands on him.
- In this case, he rolls for 0.75 seconds, in the opposite direction of the attacking hero's current location.
- The rolling behaves in the exact same way as , including the colliding with unpathable terrain.
- While rolling, Roll Up applies the area knockback, damage and stun in the same way as Rolling Thunder does, based on its values.
- has a cast backswing of 0.54 and behaves the same as how it does during Rolling Thunder.
- Roll Up can be cast during Rolling Thunder without interrupting it.
- When done, causes Rolling Thunder to stop rolling and stop applying its area effects. Its duration gets paused as well.
- Casting Rolling Thunder during Roll Up immediately cancels Roll Up.
- Casting any other ability, or any items during Roll Up cancels it immediately.
- Replaces until the sub-ability is used or the duration ends.
- During Rolling Thunder, the caster does not need to turn to cast abilities or items.
- Casting immediately cancels Rolling Thunder.
- has a cast backswing of 0.54 during Rolling Thunder.
- For better readability, the turn rate during Rolling Thunder is given as per second, instead of per 0.03 seconds.
- 120° per second equal a turn rate of 0.063.
- The turn rate is boosted by an additional 165° upon beginning to roll, upon hitting a cliff or wall, or upon landing after casting Shield Crash.
- This boost lasts for 0.25 seconds. It effectively increases the turn rate to 0.149 for that time.
- Pangolier turns for a maximum of 1 second per issued move order. This means a single move order does not cause him to move in a circle around the targeted point.
- Pangolier's final path and direction pre-move order depends on a vector from Pangolier's position to targeted point, which is always parallel with the path.
- Upon colliding with unpathable terrain, Pangolier stops for 0.2 seconds and then starts rolling the direction he came from.
- The roll speed is fixed and cannot be altered in any way.
- Every enemy (except
) coming within 150 range of Pangolier while rolling gets damaged, knocked back, and stunned.
- The damage and knockback happen immediately on contact. The stun is applied right after the knockback, although the knockback itself is disabling as well.
- Enemies are knocked 150 range away from Pangolier over 0.4 seconds. Can knock enemies over impassable terrain.
- This means the disable lasts a total of 1.4/1.65/1.9 seconds.
- The prevents units from getting hit by Rolling Thunder again. Its duration equals the combined duration of the knockback and the stun and cannot be altered.
- Rolling Thunder first applies the damage, then the debuffs.
- Replaces until the sub-ability is used or the duration ends.
|+3sDuration||15||2.5sCD in Ball|
|+400Slash Range||10||+1.5 Mana Regen|
- Reduced movement speed slow from 25%/30%/35%/40% to 20%/25%/30%/35%.
- Increased mana cost from 60/70/80/90 to 75/85/95/105.
- Increased cooldown from 70 on each level to 80/75/70.
- Level 25 left talent: -28s cooldown reduced to -25s.
- Now slows enemies' movement speed by 25%/30%/35%/40% for 3 seconds.
- Increased incoming damage reduction per stack from 12%/14%/16%/18% to 15%/16%/17%/18%.
- Rescaled damage reduction duration from 10 on each level to 5/7/9/11.
- Reduced cooldown from 18/16/14/12 to 16/14/12/10.
- No longer slows enemy movement speed by 35% for 2/3/4/5 seconds.
- Increased armor reduction from 3/4/5/6 to 4/5/6/7.
- provides cheap attributes and can combine with Tango for the extra heal.
- helps Pangolier stay in lane with health regeneration.
- also restores Pangolier's health.
- provides passive health regeneration and burst mana for using abilities.
- helps Pangolier lasthit by granting bonus damage against creeps.
- grant movement speed to chase enemies.
- increases Pangolier's sustainability with attributes, as well as providing burst health and mana.
- restore teammates' and Pangolier's mana, sustaining his low-cooldown abilities.
- gives each Swashbuckle slash a 30% chance to deal 70 extra damage at a very low price. Multiple Javelins stack to increase proc chance during Swashbuckle. Javelin can be built into Maelstrom or Monkey King Bar, and if Pangolier has a really good early game, he can have both.
allows Pangolier to position on top of enemy heroes, use Shield Crash, and Swashbuckle away.
- Pangolier can use it with Rolling Thunder to initiate or blink back to enemies for a second stun.
- Pangolier maintains the direction he was facing after using Blink.
- adds extra damage and mana burn to the Swashbuckle slashes, and gives Pangolier a slow to keep targets in range of Rolling Thunder and Swashbuckle.
- , built from Javelin, increases extra damage, while also hitting multiple units. Maxed out Swashbuckle with a Maelstrom usually provides enough damage to clear a whole creepwave or a jungle camp, no matter its size, with a single Swashbuckle. This allowes Pangolier to farm his items a lot faster, as well as have more damage in big fights with many enemies.
- accuracy in addition to the bonus damage from Pierce. , built from Javelin, provides Pangolier with
- helps lock enemies down with stun; it can also proc Bash from a distance by using Swashbuckle.
- allow Pangolier to get around the map quickly, aiding his team in fights with low-cooldown abilities.
- , if constantly shipped out early to mid game, allow for a more farming-focused style, which ensures the lanes are pushed, no jungle farm is unused, and Pangolier gets his important items in time. Due to Pangolier's relatively good mobility, he can farm quickly while staying close to his team and important objectives, so that he can always show up when needed.
- works with Swashbuckle and allows Pangolier to trade hits in lane, as well as chase enemies easier. It stacks with Lucky Shot, applying a 50% slow, which gives you time to deal a lot of damage. However, it costs a lot and delays Pangolier's other items timing, so make sure to be laning against someone Pangolier can harass.
- provide the right attributes with tread switching, giving intelligence to help with abilities usage or giving strength to stay alive.
- sustains Pangolier's mana and combos with Rolling Thunder for more stuns.
- increases Pangolier's durability both in offense and defense. Paired with the damage reduction from Shield Crash, Pangolier becomes even more durable in clashes. The cast ability also aids teammates within the buff area as well as structures.
- increases both Pangolier's and his team's sustainability and damage, especially when said team has a lot of physical damage. Considering Pangolier always needs to show up to fights, this item can have much value. Pangolier is quite hard to kill while he uses Rolling Thunder, which insures the team will have the aura active during the fights, even if supports die. Lifesteal synergizes well with Pangoliers abilities: disarmed or stunned enemies are easier to focus and kill, while lifestealing at the same time.
- grants health and damage block, coupling with Shield Crash's damage reduction to increase Pangolier's survivability; it builds into Abyssal Blade.
- protects Pangolier from enemy disables when he is not using Rolling Thunder.
- spell immunity piercing abilities that cancel his Rolling Thunder. may protect Pangolier from
- counters silences and provides illusions that can apply Diffusal Blade's mana burn.
- discourages enemies from attacking Pangolier and often gives him some extra time to escape.
- deals magical damage during Rolling Thunder and gives enemies a miss chance; coupling with Shield Crash's damage reduction, enemies will find themselves facing a resilient Pangolier capable of doing sustain area damage.
- applies a huge area slow during Rolling Thunder.
- works with Swashbuckle, slowing all enemies hit by it.
- has a good chance to proc up to two times during Swashbuckle, greatly increasing damage output.
- helps clear out waves of creeps, and procs on all four instances of Swashbuckle.
- improves Pangolier's skills as it allows him to cast more often and deal both magical and physical damage in short cooldowns.
|Roles:||Carry Nuker Disabler Durable Escape Initiator|
|Playstyle:||Fond of wine, women, and danger, the gallant Donté Panlin goes wherever adventure calls. Dropping into the fight with a Shield Crash, the Pangolier Swashbuckles his way to glory as he fends off attacks with his scaly plates. His rapier's pointed tip finds the weakness in any defense, delivering Lucky Shots cripple and maim. Curling up into an impenetrable ball, the rascally rogue's Rolling Thunder plows through the battlefield, slamming foes aside and clearing the path to victory.|
- Pangolier is sometimes labeled in the game files as Armadillo, and other times as Pangolin.
- Pangolier speaks some French phrases, and has a French accent.
- A swashbuckler is an heroic archetype in European adventure literature that is typified by the use of a sword and chivalric ideals.
- Pangolier's character was likely partially inspired by The Three Musketeers' D'Artagnan (for his mannerism, hot-hotheadedness, and French phrases) and Zorro.
- Some of Pangoliers abilities have different names in the game files:
- : Swash
- : Thump
- : Shell, Gyroshell
- : Shell Stop
- Rolling Thunder was the name of an American bombing campaign during the Vietnam War.
- Pangolier's response to killing ▶️ "What to do with a drunken sailor? Simple. Stab him in the heart." refers to the famous folk song/sea shanty Drunken Sailor (Also known as What Shall We Do with a/the Drunken Sailor?).
- Pangolier's response to meeting ▶️ "Try to look on the bright side of life." is a reference to Eric Idle's famous song Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, featured in the classic Monty Python movie Life of Brian IMDB. as ally
- Pangolier's response to meeting ally ▶️ "Which level of hell is your favorite, Lion? I prefer the second. Or perhaps the seventh." alludes to Dante Alighieri's famous work: Divine Comedy. There are Nine Circles of Hell in Dante's work: the second is Lust, and the seventh is Violence, indicative of Pangolier's personality. Pangolier's name Donté Panlin also bears resemblance to Dante Alighieri.
- Pangolier's rivalry response towards ▶️ "In my professional opinion? You're dead." is a direct quote from the Medic from Team Fortress 2.