- Outworld Destroyer's high mana pool, high intelligence, and makes him a prime target for .
- If timed correctly, will return the full damage from Sanity's Eclipse back to Outworld Destroyer. Even a reflected Arcane Orb can deal significant damage and make him vulnerable to a follow-up from Nyx Assassin.
- is also the perfect tool against Astral Imprisonment: if used on Nyx, he can reflect the damage back as he comes out of the prison by casting the ability while imprisoned.
- Rubick can use
to steal Astral Imprisonment, and if Rubick gets he gets 2 charges of it. This can overpower Outworld Destroyer in team fights.
- Rubick can also steal Sanity's Eclipse against Outworld Destroyer's teammates.
- Silencer's will heavily reduce Outworld Destroyer's damage output, particularly from Sanity's Eclipse.
- and will take Outworld Destroyer out of the fight unless he has built Black King Bar.
- As Outworld Destroyer has short cast ranges, a short attack range, and no gap-closing abilities, Sniper can kite and harass Outworld Destroyer in lane with his long range and zone him out in fights. The continuous area damage from also prevents Astral-Blink escapes.
- blocks most of the damage dealt with Arcane Orb and Sanity's Eclipse if used correctly, and is difficult for Outworld Destroyerr to deal with.
- If Astral Imprisonment is on cooldown, then an Outworld Destroyer slowed by is an easy kill for Templar Assassin, especially during the laning stage.
- Any heroes with silences can negate the majority of Outworld Destroyer's damage output: , , , .
- 's is useful against Outworld Destroyer, as the blind prevents him from landing Arcane Orbs.
- Similarly, heroes with built-in evasion mechanisms, or who naturally build , can become a nuisance to Outworld Destroyer as it reduces his ability to deal damage and build charges through Arcane Orb.
- Any heroes with high intelligence, such as and .
- Heroes with built-in spell immunity can become immune to all of Outworld Destroyer's spells: 's and 's .
- Instant healing items, such as , , and , can be used inside Astral Imprisonment and the healing will take effect before the damage from the prison, potentially saving the target.
- significantly reduces Sanity's Eclipse's damage.
- makes the user immune to all of Outworld Destroyer's spells.
- When using , an 's decreases Outworld Destroyer's attack speed, making it hard for him to build charges and deal damage with Arcane Orb.
- doesn't work versus Arcane Orb because it does pure damage.
- Anti-Mage cannot burn all of Outworld Destroyer's mana without disables due to Essence Flux.
- Anti-Mage's illusions are quickly destroyed by Arcane Orb.
- However, if the enemy has multiple means of removing mana, becomes a threat to Outworld Destroyer, Anti-Mage has better mobility than Outworld Destroyer with , and blocks a large portion of the damage from Sanity's Eclipse.
- bonus armor doesn't block Arcane Orb's pure damage.
- Astral Imprisonment can be used to prevent an ally or Outworld Destroyer himself from an Axe initiation.
- Axe's low mana means he's susceptible to a powerful Sanity's Eclipse.
- Outworld Destroyer can dodge with Astral Imprisonment, leaving him unharmed while Huskar loses HP.
- Sanity's Eclipse can deal massive damage to Huskar before he builds up his stacks due to Huskar's low mana pool.
- Outworld Destroyer can save an ally hero caught by with Astral Imprisonment, and he can inflict heavy damage on Legion Commander with Arcane Orb to aid his ally. However, if he gets caught, he is unlikely to survive the duel, due to his lack of durability.
- Outworld Destroyer's pure damage from Arcane Orb can go through .
- Outworld Destroyer can negate the healing from using Astral Imprisonment, and steal mana while doing so.
- Outworld Destroyer's damage during is reduced due to Arcane Orb being unable to target allies.
- Arcane Orb deals high damage regardless of Morphling's high armor from .
- Because of Morphling's very low intelligence gain and base intelligence, Sanity's Eclipse will almost always be effective against Morphling.
- Outworld Destroyer can disrupt Slark's attacks with either by banishing Slark or his target.
- Slark's low heathpool means he will die quickly to if he is directly attacked by Outworld Destroyer
- Slark has low intelligence gain, making him easy to finish with if he tries to run with
- Arcane Orb's pure damage ignores Timbersaw's .
- Astral Imprisonment, if timed correctly, can interrupt , preventing him from escaping.
- Sanity's Eclipse does massive damage to Wraith King who naturally has a low mana pool and typically doesn't build items to increase it.
- 's slow projectile speed makes it easy to avoid using Astral Imprisonment.
- Any heroes with low mana pools will die quickly or even instantly to Sanity's Eclipse: , , .
- Tanky melee heroes that can easily be kited, which allows Outworld Destroyer to deal heavy damage with Arcane Orb from a distance: , , .
- Illusion based heroes (like and ) can't use their illusion beneficially against Sanity's Eclipse's high AoE burst damage.
- Heroes that must kill others in a short duration of time or need to combo their abilities suffer heavily against Outworld Destroyer, as a simple Astral Imprisonment can instantly throw off key abilities like Void's Chronosphere, Ursa's Enrage or Kunkka's X-Torrent combo.
- Heroes that rely heavily on armor like Dragon Knight or magic resistance like Visage can usually be dismantled by Outworld Destroyer as Arcane Orb is a pure damage source.
Works well with...
- greatly increases Outworld Destroyer's damage output and allows him to build charges more quickly.
- and can pin down an enemy for Outworld Destroyer to attack.
- Silencer's passive and active will increase the mana pool difference between Outworld Destroyer and his enemies, making them take more damage from Sanity's Eclipse.
- will prevent enemies from disabling Outworld Destroyer, allowing him to land easy attacks.
- and pin down an enemy for a very long time. Usually an enemy stunned for 9 seconds dies to Outworld Destroyer.
- Similar to Shadow Shaman, is a very long duration disable which can pin down an enemy long enough for Outworld Destroyer to kill them. Additionally, it drains 5% of the enemy's max mana pool, which can significantly increase the damage dealt by Sanity's Eclipse.
- is a 7 second sleep at max level, and when combined with Astral Imprisonment, it can disable an enemy for a very long time.
- Similar to Shadow Shaman, and can pin down an enemy for a very long time, enough for Outworld Destoryer to deal massive damage.
- lowers the enemy's mana pool, and allows for more damage to be done with Sanity's Eclipse.
- can help pick off fleeing enemies for easy Finger of Death stacks.
- prevents enemies from kiting Outworld Destroyer.
- synergizes well with Outworld Destroyer's entire skillset:
- Astral Imprisonment can remove heroes outside the Chronosphere which might be a threat to Faceless Void.
- Chronosphere is an easy setup for Sanity's Eclipse. If Faceless Void has diffusal blade, the damage dealt will be even higher.
- Outworld Destroyer can use Arcane Orb safely from outside the Chronosphere without being interrupted.
- slows heroes down, preventing enemies from kiting Outworld Destroyer.
- Heroes that benefit from Astral Imprisonment's setup: , , , .
- users enjoy protection of Astral Imprisonment from enemy damage, letting them escape when the duration ends.