Keeper of the Light
The Nothl Realm is an ethereal dimension in the world of Dota 2.
This realm can be accessed by potions made of secret ingredients known only to the Dezun Order, but there are many other ways to access the realm as well, including a dose from the Great Pipe. Trips to this realm are said to be harrowing and departures are painful, an extremely dangerous realm where most visitors never return. Those who do return may be driven mad (likely from being unable to comprehend its inverted properties) or gain new abilities and changes to their being, such as powers sourced from the realm or immortality.
In this strange realm, the properties of all things here are inverted. Light and dark are reversed in this realm—the darkness emits a bright glow that illuminates the pitch black light around it. The weakening or encumbering properties of anything in the Nothl Realm will manifest as strength in the Terrene Plane. Even good and evil are reversed in this place.
The Nothl Realm is an afterlife for those who are deeply connected to it or sacrificed to it and a place of rebirth (for those who are deeply connected to it) into the lands of the living.
According to Aghanim, Dazzle's powers are a blend of chakra and chaos magic, possibly referring to the of Light and the chaotic power of Dark. Since Dazzle's powers are from the Nothl Realm, it's possible that Keeper of the Light and Chaos Knight may have some connection to this place.
Dazzle is the youngest Hero to access the Nothl Realm. His time in the Nothl Realm has granted him a strong connection to this place, giving him powers over its inverted elements.
Huskar almost reached his apotheosis when he visited the Nothl Realm but was brought back painfully by a deep incantation cast upon him by Dazzle and returned with nigh-immortality and the ability to draw strength from his injuries.
The Dezun Order is the only group of people who know about the Nothl Realm, and they intend to keep this knowledge as a secret. Its acolytes undergo a series of rites to become a shadow priest, with the last rite being "the rite of shades" which involves a trip to the Nothl Realm to access the power necessary to be a shadow priest. Their culture revolves entirely around the Nothl alone.
A one winged draconic creature was captured by Huskar, employing it towards his own ends. It's possible that this creature came from this realm or has some form of connection to it.
In the jungles of Fellstrath, there exists a species of butterfly that can draw energy from the Nothl Realm with their proboscis. They are inefficient with their feeding, and each puncture that they make to tap into the Nothl allows the realm's influence to leak into the Terrene Plane. Dazzle was the first person to discover these creatures.
Thewas said to be stolen from an inverse dimension, possibly referring to the Nothl Realm.
- Great Pipe of the Father Spirits description.
- Dazzle's biography.
- Huskar's biography.
- Dazzle response: ▶️ I've seen the blinding darkness at the center of all light.
- Nothlic Burden description.
- Visage response: ▶️ Return to your Nothl Realm.
- Huskar response: ▶️ I return to the Nothl Realm.
- Dazzle response: ▶️ I convey your spirit to the Nothl realm.
- Huskar response: ▶️ Great honors await you in the Nothl Realm.
- Huskar response: ▶️ From the Nothl Realm, I return.
- Dazzle response: ▶️ Returned from Nothl's realm.
- Aghanim response: ▶️ Oh, prepare yourselves for an earthy blend of chakra and chaos magic. Sharp on the nose, nutty in flavor and... a bloody finish.
- Mars response: ▶️ Hahaha, the Nothl Realm! I've seen bigger latrines!
- Mars response: ▶️ Secrets of Dezun? Please. I've seen things you priests wouldn't believe.
- Void Spirit response: ▶️ The powers of the Nothl realm are no secret to me.
- Siltbreaker response: ▶️ I've seen your Nothl Realm. Color me unimpressed.
- The Spoils of Dezun description.
- Delights of Petaluna descriptiion.