|Considered the ultimate in necromancy and demonology, a powerful malefic force is locked within its pages.|
- The item's attributes grants the following bonuses:
- Upgrading the item improves its stats and strengthens the summons from . Can be upgraded twice.
- The total gold cost for each level is 2050/3300/4550 .
- Interrupts the caster's channeling abilities upon cast.
- The summons always spawn in front of the caster.
- Recasting this with the same Necronomicon replaces the summons from the previous cast, no matter under whose control they are.
- However, recasting it with a second Necronomicon (or the same with a different level) creates two new summons.
- The summons neither can be affected by
- However, they can be targeted by other converting or instantly killing abilities like or .
- All 3 levels of Necronomicon share cooldown.
- Does not share cooldown with .
- The bonus damage is dealt in one instance together with the attack damage, and counts as attack damage as well.
- Effectively increases the warrior's attack damage by 15/20/25 against units which have enough mana to burn.
- Applies the mana loss first, and then the damage.
- Works against allied units when attacking them.
- Fully stacks with other sources of Mana Break.
- Available for level 3 Necronomicon Archers only.
- Applies a basic dispel on the target upon cast.
- Purge first applies the dispel, then the slow.
- The slow decreases in 0.8 second intervals, so it slows for 100%/80%/60%/40%/20%, going one step down every 0.8 seconds.
- Can be cast on and fully affect invulnerable units.
In general, Necronomicon is best bought by strength or intelligence heroes who have abilities that synergize with the Necronomicon summons.
- Heroes who have creep-compatible auras.
- 's aura boosts the attack speed of all his summons, and he commonly builds more items to improve his .
- gives a long-duration haste, as well as providing a critical strike aura.
- Heroes who control a lot of units.
- has no innate auras, but she can collect more Neutral creeps than any other single hero to gain many auras, and in the late game can control even Ancient Creeps, which work well with the Necronomicon units.
- have massed to gain a better push force and benefit from summon auras.
- is able to effectively increase the number of melee creeps in a lane to push it, and the summons can help speed up that push by clearing the wave and improving the move and attack speed of all the units.
- can at times have dozens of and under her control, and the necronomicon units are an effective way of speeding up her pushing power, or to burn mana with from her targets to protect her fragile summons from radius-based spells.
- Heroes with a castable attack speed buff. The base attack time, only 0.75. There are few ways to grant it bonus attack speed, but they are very effective in increasing his mana burn potential.
has a very low
- can cast on the warrior, and slow a target to provide lots of time for the summons to all of a target's mana.
- 's passive ability allows him to chase targets, and increases the attack speed and move speed of allied units attacking the same target. It also provides him with a second reliable carrier of .
- Heroes who have channeled disables, or otherwise have spells that disable the caster.
- can increase the damage output of his with Necronomicon units. While he grips a target enemy, the 's will further drain mana and deal more damage along with the .
- and both specialize in summoning powerful units with their ultimates, then channeling a disable to allow their summon to deal damage. Necronomicon provides another summon to use when their ultimate is on cooldown, or synergizes with their ultimate.
- can control summons while casting , increasing the danger to enemies who try to attack the Phoenix Sun.
- Heroes who have damage amplification spells, but lack damage themselves.
has a powerful damage amplification and multiple disables. He has the rare ability to create illusions of enemy heroes, which may in turn provide auras for necro units, as well as taking advantage of .
- With the 2 summons and the 2 illusions spawned by , it's possible to bodyblock a trapped enemy in all four cardinal directions, effectively trapping most heroes until one of the units is killed.
- has a powerful damage amplification and multiple disables. He has the rare ability to create illusions of enemy heroes, which may in turn provide auras for necro units, as well as taking advantage of .
- Heroes with powerful Damage Over Time or slowing spells
- and gain from Necronomicon units the ability to ensure that a fleeing enemy won't have enough mana to back to the fountain before their ultimate kills them, and their slowing spells greatly increase the amount of damage and mana burn that the summons can perform.
- 's triggers from attacks made by the Necronomicon units.
- Heroes who can take advantage of multiple synergies.
- can collect ancient creeps to buff Necronomicon, and can use on enemy heroes to significantly amplify the attack speed of Necronomicon units.
- provides a hasting aura to his own summons when is active, stacking well with . Using , he can gain an aura to improve the summons further, and In the late game, he can Devour , allowing him to cast and provide to the summons.
- is able to summon the units after , increasing the power of a relocate gank. Additionally, if no ally needs the , Io can the for bonus attack speed.
- has potentially strong kit for Necronomicon. provides with bonus damage and attack speed, can reduce the armor of enemies, increasing the damage of both Necronomicon units, and he has multiple strong slows and disable to provide more time to kill off targets.
- Some heroes have unique synergies with Necronomicon.
is unique in that he can summon two sets of units with a single book by using his . Additionally, it extends the effective time of the double, as the summons live twice as long as the double.
- Additionally, his other spells provide exceptionally strong slows to prevent escapes.
has a kit that synergizes in many ways with Necronomicon.
- can be cast upon the to reduce its ability's cooldown.
- can be aimed to push a target next to the summons, and provide a debuff making it harder for the target to kill the summoned units.
- 's flying vision synergizes well with Necronomicon for dewarding purposes, and provides him a way to burn through a target's mana during his lengthy silence and slow.
- 's spells amplify the Necronomicon Warrior. With and , becomes an exceptionally dangerous summon.
- 's reduces the cooldown of Necronomicon, making the item more efficient on him as it has lesser downtime compared to other heros.
- is unique in that he can summon two sets of units with a single book by using his . Additionally, it extends the effective time of the double, as the summons live twice as long as the double.
- Because a lot of Necronomicon's value is in its summons, many of the above heroes gain synergy with the item even if it was purchased by another hero. In addition, some heroes are poor carriers of the item, but benefit a lot from having the item on their team.
- This item is based on the Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire created by horror author H. P. Lovecraft. The summoning ability of the item is similar to the original book's role in summoning the ancient cosmic Old Ones in Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.
- The coloration of the two units may be a reference to the Japanese tradition of Oni being either Red or Blue, with the Red Oni traditionally more aggressive, emotional, and extroverted, while Blue Oni are traditionally more serene, intellectual, and introverted.
Taking damage from Last Will
Main Article: Necronomicon/Changelogs
- Reduced cooldown from 90 to 80.
- Added new passive ability.
- Increases the movement speed of nearby allies.
- Radius: 1200
- Movement speed bonus: 5%/7%/9%
- Aura linger duration: 0.5
- Reduced mana regeneration bonus from 3/3.5/4 to 2/3/4.
- Removed Lua error in Module:Ability_ID at line 61: Could not find Cargo data for "Archer Aura (Pre 7.27)"..
- Changed attack damage type from Pierce to Hero.
- Reduced attack damage from 55-65/85-95/115-125 to 35-40/55-60/70-80.
- Increased attack speed from 100 on each level to 105/107/109.
- Increased movement speed from 350 on each level to 370/375/380.