|Traps his foes in an inescapable arena.|
|The warrior deity Mars thrives in the heart of strife, guarded by the bulk of a deadly shield, an impenetrable Bulwark that guards against all assault. Using divine strength, he skewers enemies with his Legendary Spear, and Rebukes attackers back with his shield. He revels in facing opponents in an Arena of Blood, ringed with loyal undead spearmen of the Ash Legion — who guarantee that no one escapes and that whatever odds he's facing, the god of war can dictate the terms of battle knowing the crowd is forever on his side.|
|Roles:||Carry Initiator Disabler Durable|
- The spear travels at a speed of 1400, taking 0.64/0.71/0.79/0.86 seconds to reach maximum distance.
- The spear starts traveling exactly on Mars' location, and travels forward up to 900/1000/1100/1200 range.
- Although within the spear's search radius, it does not hit enemies behind Mars upon cast.
- With the travel distance and search radius, it can hit units up to 1025/1125/1225/1325 range away.
- A spear may only damage and drag 1 ( ) hero(es) along with it, and are stunned during the drag.
- If that hero dies or gets freed from the spear, it cannot impale a new hero.
- Dragged heroes are made to face towards the direction the spear came from.
- When hitting a building, tree, or cliff, the hero is moved closely to the pinned object and stunned.
- Buildings include every building, enemy and allied ones alike, but excludes the shops.
- Cliffs include all natural cliffs onto elevated areas, most pathing blockers (except ) and .
- Terrain decorations like the walls at the borders of both bases, the random statues on the map, and the arches at stairs cannot be used to pin enemies.
- Provides True Sight over the impaled enemy. No true sight is applied while dragging the enemy along with the spear.
- Upon losing the impale stun debuff, trees within a 100 radius around the hero get destroyed.
- Hit non-hero units (including creep-heroes), as well as secondary heroes are damaged and knocked back instead.
- The knockback direction is based on the angle between the hit unit and the spear.
- The knockback does not disable units. They can still turn, attack and use items. Channeling abilities or items are not interrupted by it.
- Destroys trees enemies come in contact with during the knockback.
- The spear provides 300 radius flying vision as it travels.
- When not impaling a hero to an object, the vision lingers at the final location for 1 second.
- When impaling a hero to an object, the vision lingers based on the default stun duration.
- Beginning casting Spear of Mars automatically toggles Off.
, Spear of Mars leaves behind a fire trail as it travels.
- The fire lasts seconds from the moment it is created.
- This means the fire created at the starting location disappears earlier than the fire created at the ending location.
- The fire places a debuff on enemies within the area in 0.5-second intervals, starting 0.5 seconds after the fire was created.
- The debuff deals damage in 0.5-second intervals, starting 0.5 seconds after being placed, resulting in 4 damage instances.
- This results in a maximum of damage instances when standing within the area the full duration.
- One instance of the debuff can deal up to before reductions). damage (
- The entire fire trail can deal up to damage to a single unit.
- Multiple overlapping fire trails do not stack, instead they refresh the same debuff on enemies.
- God's Rebuke's effects are instantly applied within its whole area. There is no travel time.
- The area is shaped like a circular sector, with a radius of 500 and an angle of 140°.
- God's Rebuke affects an area based on Mars's facing angle, not where the ability was targeted.
- This means when toggled On, it always launches towards the locked facing direction, since Mars cannot turn towards the targeted point. is
- Causes Mars to perform an instant attack on all hit enemies.
- If not killed, hit enemies are knocked back and slowed. The direction is based on the angle between the hit unit and the caster.
- God's Rebuke first applies knockback, then the slow, then the instant attack.
- Applies generic incoming damage reduction on Mars. Stacks additively with other sources of generic incoming damage manipulation.
- The reduction follows the same targeting rules as damage block does, reacting mainly on attack damage.
- However, this means it also reacts on abilities that react on damage block and is bypassed by some sources of instant attacks.
- Increases Mars' effective health by 67%/100%/150%/233% ( ) when taking front damage.
- Increases Mars' effective health by 25%/33%/43%/54% ( ) when taking side damage.
- Checks the damage source's current position and Mars' facing angle when the attack connects, not when the attack is released.
- Bulwark damage reduction occurs after Damage Block.
- Although both Bulwark and Damage Block use the same visuals when showing how much damage was blocked, they do not interfere with each other.
- Plays a visual effect and a sound whenever damage is blocked. The default hit sound does not play.
- When blocking hero damage from the front, a bigger visual effect and the default sound are played.
- When blocking hero damage from the sides, or creep damage from the front, a smaller visual effect and the small sound are played.
- When blocking creep damage from the sides, no effects or sounds are played.
- While toggled On, Mars is disarmed and slowed, and has his facing direction locked.
- He can still cast abilities and items, and move normally, but no longer requires facing the target to do so.
- Automatically toggles Off when is cast.
- Any attack projectile within 800 range of Mars, and within the front and side angles of Bulwark have a 70% chance to get redirected to him.
- The ally being attacked does not need to be anywhere near Mars, only the attacking enemy needs to be within 800 range of Mars.
- The redirect happens immediately upon projectile launch. Instead of targeting the intended attack target, it targets Mars instead.
- Goes on a 0.2-second cooldown upon toggling Off.
, 5 invulnerable soldiers are spawned in an arc in front of Mars.
- The first soldier is located exactly in front of Mars, and the others are offset by to either side, forming an arc.
- Each soldier attacks enemies within range around them.
- However, they do not attack enemies within 150 range of Mars. This results in a total area shaped like a horseshoe.
- Each soldier can attack only one enemy at a time. The enemies are chosen randomly, there are no priorities.
- The soldiers always attack together, even if not all of them have a target, so that their attacks are always synchronized.
- The soldiers attack in toggled On. intervals, and the attack interval timer only counts down while Bulwark is
- For example, if Bulwark is toggled off 0.4 seconds after their last attack, the next time it is toggled on, they still have to wait 0.6 seconds before they can attack again.
- The instant attacks are performed by Mars himself. They first apply the damage, then the slow.
- These instant attacks can proc any attack modifiers and on-hit effects normally. They do not have True Strike, but completely ignore disarms.
- The effect delay is not included in the field's duration. The actual duration starts right after the delay.
- Inside the arena, enemies without flying movement coming within 160 range of the wall get damaged.
- If not killed by the damage, the enemy is knocked back towards the arena center.
- Units are not disabled during the knockback. They can still turn, attack, cast abilities and use items. Channeling abilities are not interrupted.
- Does not push heroes affected by the impaling stun of .
- Destroys trees enemies come in contact with during the knockback.
- A unit may only be damaged and knocked back once every 1 second.
- Stops enemies without flying movement by slowing them with a slow aura. The aura has a radius of 750 and is centered on the field.
- This means units with flying movement can enter and leave the arena freely at any time.
- The slow gets exponentially stronger towards the walls, which has a 550 radius.
- This effectively causes enemy units touching the walls to come to halt.
- The slow is only present when facing towards the walls. Units at the walls facing away from it are not slowed.
- The slow aura's effect lingers for 0.5 seconds, resulting in an effective duration of 5.5/6.5/7.5 seconds.
- Since the slow is fluctuating a lot, it is not displayed in the HUD.
- Besides preventing enemies from walking in or out of the area, the following movement abilities are unable to pass the walls either:
- , , , and .
- All other sources of horizontal movement can move units through the walls freely.
- However, the knockback from inside the arena still triggers and can cancel forced movement.
- Any attack projectile coming from an enemy gets blocked upon coming within 100 range of the walls.
- These blocked projectiles count as completely negated, so that no on-attack effects can trigger (e.g. ).
- This means ranged enemies outside the arena cannot attack units inside of it and vice versa.
- Melee units can attack freely, if they have enough attack range. Projectiles from abilities are completely unaffected as well.
- Provides 550 range flying vision at the center of the area for 5/6/7 seconds upon cast.
- After the effect delay, trees within 550 range of the wall gets destroyed.
- This means it effectively destroys trees within a 1100 radius.
|Grants Team +180 HP Regen||25||+65% Crit|
|+0.8sStun||20||+10%/+5%Front/Side damage reduction|
Main Article: Mars/Changelogs
- Reduced base attack damage from 29‒37 to 26‒34.
- Reduced stun duration from 1.6/2.0/2.4/2.8 to 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6.
- Increased mana cost from 80 to 90.
- 's health regeneraion helps Mars stay in lane.
- also restores health to Mars.
- restores mana so Mars can keep nuking his enemies.
- allows Mars to keep use Spear of Mars and God's Rebuke.
- 's allow you to sustain your mana pool and farm at a much faster speed than most heroes.
- help Mars get into position to use his abilities.
- provides burst health and mana restoration to keep Mars fighting.
- is situationally good which gives Mars some magic resistance early on and some stats.
- gives armor which Mars is lacking and allows him to move around the map faster.
- , upgraded from , provides additional attributes.
- positions Mars to land stuns with Spear of Mars, and to initiate with Arena Of Blood. This can be upgraded to , that helps him deals damage in a large AOE upon jumping while increasing both his base damage and health.
- can be essentially good when Mars requires quick physical damage at a reasonable cost. This compensates his lacking armor while allowing his physical damage to scale well especially when he is casting , his only critical source.
- allows Mars to take towers quickly during the mid game which is where he is strong.
- spell immunity which may be required if the other team has a lot of stuns and can stop you from being effective and disruptive. grants
- provides Mars a great bonus amount of armor while granting bonus physical damage output both to him and his teammates during teamfights.
- further increases Mars' already high health pool and his base damage, while also allowing him to sustain to the point of nigh-immortality.
- allows Mars to fight early with his team and some sustain when farming lanes, as he can do it much quicker than most heroes as tanky as him.
- magic resistance allows Mars to stay alive against magical nukes. 's
- will make Mars a hard target to kill from physical attacks when the enemies are not attacking Mars from the front.
- is very strong againts multiple physical damage dealers and can help your team push.
- allows Mars to stop a hero from attacking who may have some form of break or spell immunity (if he can use it before them).
- upgrades his into a moving bulldozer, allowing him to constantly sustain damage while pushing the team forward, as he slows enemies and deals physical damage caught in his sights. If combined with , this further increases his potent damage while providing a constant slow for the late game.
- Despite being Roman god of war, instead of the Greek equivalent, Ares, who is the son of the Greek god Zeus.
' son, Mars is named after the
- However, lines from Mars (▶️ "I don't answer to that name anymore, you old fool.") and Zeus themselves (▶️ "Change your name all you want, you can't fool me.") hint that Mars has changed his previous name of Ares, possibly to avoid association with his father.
- He also refers to himself as "Mars Ultor". In real life, this is the same name given to the Roman god Mars by the emperor Caesar Augustus when he created a cult of the same name. Mars Ultor means "Mars the Avenger" in Latin.
- Mars' Immortal Off-hand item, God's Mercy, references elements from the Greek Myth as well, namely Perseus and Medusa. Perseus (who is another one of the Greek god Zeus' sons) uses a polished shield to act as a mirror to approach and behead the sleeping Medusa without looking directly at her eyes, thereby avoiding her infamous stone gaze. Perseus also used Medusa's head as a weapon to turn King Atlas into stone.
- Mars carries a Greek-style Boeotian shield, but its decorative thunderbolts are more common on Roman shields.
- ▶️ 's sound comes from the Mars movement of Gustav Holst's musical suite, The Planets. Mars also ▶️ hums the music when ordered to move or after killing an enemy in the Arena of Blood.
- Mars' response on pinning an enemy against the walls of Arena of Blood (▶️ "Are you not entertained?!") is a reference to a scene from the film Gladiator.
- Mars' death response (▶️ "What is this madness?!") and Dota Plus chat wheel line (▶️ "THIS IS DOOOOTAAAAA!") are references to the famous "THIS IS SPARTA!" scene from the film 300
- Mars' rare killing response (▶️ "Mars the Impaler!") is a reference to Vlad the Impaler, the Wallachian Voivode who was the inspiration behind Bram Stoker's Count Dracula.
- Mars' rare Arena of Blood cast response (▶️ "WITNESS MEEEE!") is a reference to a War Boy's suicide attack using grenade-tipped spears from the film Mad Max: Fury Road.
- Files related to Mars were leaked on January 03, 2018, but were deleted later that day. The leaked abilities were called Spear Wall/Spear and Phalanx/Phalanx Cancel.