|Heroes|| Treant Protector|
Among the magnoceroi of Mount Joerlak, there are none so fierce and staunch as Magnus. He alone holds the greatest horn among them all and puts it to great use by goring anyone who dares to hunt down his kin for their precious horns, maintaining his noble vigil for half of a generation. A great calamity brought his brethren to the state of being endangered, leaving him even more determined to preserve them.
Having cast himself away from his own kin to avenge the fallen, he has vowed to hunt down those who were complicit in endangering his brethren. He wields the powers of his people in the form of his pike, horn, hooves, and their magics, as well as the power of the very mountain that destroyed them to reciprocate justice and righteous retribution.
Just like the horns of their race, the master-smiths of Mt. Joerlak agree on only a single point: that the horn of a magnoceros is more precious than any alloy. If the horn of a typical magnoceros is silver, then the horn of the one they call Magnus is gold. For half a generation, this fine warrior fiercely protected his kin from the hunters and poachers who coveted the horns of his kin, until his Matriarch urged him and his entire brethren to seek refuge to the north beyond the reach of the mountain's shadow. But Magnus dismissed her advice, having never failed to defend his people. The magnoceroi would stay, he decided, for a magnoceros does not believe in chance…nor does it ever change its mind.
Magnus would soon find his beliefs challenged when Mt. Joerlak erupted without warning. Half of his kin perished in the fire and ash, prompting him and the other survivors to head north as their Matriarch once decided. They reached a blockade watched by a hundred hunters armed with bows and steel, much to his expectations. It was Magnus who was at the vanguard of the charge, leading his fiercest brothers and sisters against their enemies, while he fought with a ferocity that could only be matched by the erupting volcano behind him. Meanwhile the magnoceroi elders, mothers, and calves vanished into the drifts. The master-smiths were divided about what happened next.
Some may speculate that Magnus did rejoin his kin, while others claim that he succumbed to his injuries and died beside the body of his Matriarch. Nay, neither of these theories are correct. Magnus vowed to rejoin his kin, but only after he finds those who were complicit in the eruption of Mt. Joerlak and skewers them on his horn. After all, a magnoceros does not believe in chance, even against a so-called natural calamity.
Much time has passed since the calamity that befell his people. Although Magnus was single-minded towards those who hunted his kin, he has found a new cause in the strife within Roseleaf Forest. Magnus has sympathized and sided with the Vhoul, whom he believes are being objectified as a commodity by their colonizers, the nation of Stonehall. He also took a young Ilexa under his protection, for he believed that she is destined for something great, and he must see to it that it is realized.
Personality and Mannerisms
- Magnus is a proud member of his race. His endangered race (and those among them who have died) and his vows to avenge and restore them never leaves his mind.
- Magnus is a very stubborn creature. He doesn't change his mind and is staunch in his oaths and beliefs and doesn't believe in chance, but his beliefs may be challenged by dire events. Still, he is able to recover and renew his beliefs quickly, as not even Death or a volcanic eruption that wiped out half of his kin was able to permanently change his way of thinking.
- Magnus is proud of his own horn. He is aware of how precious it is compared to other things and he appreciates the reactions of awe and jealousy towards his horn, but a line is crossed if anyone tries to touch it.
- Magnus is a noble creature. He protects the defenseless and detests those who exploit their inherent weakness. On the other hand, he never gets sated from killing the fools and weaklings who cross him and he believes in and enforces the rule of nature, which has no room for weaklings.
- It may look contradictory and even hypocritical, but Magnus only defends the meek and slays the kind of weaklings who try to cover their weakness with false power, like those who are opportunists or subjugate lesser beings and those who overestimate themselves.
- Magnus has a gift for saying the right things at the right time.
Magnus hates poachers and other people similar to them.
Powers and Abilities
The horn of Magnus is a recipient of an ancient crystal enchantment that dates way back to the cold, dark heart of the last ice age. This enchantment is a mark of distinction that is only given to the greatest warriors of the magnoceroi.
The spirit of his magnoceroi people dwells within Magnus, and with them is their vast strength. He can tap into their power to work his magic. His connection to his late brethren goes deep enough to reach the immortal spirit of Ardenok to summon him and lend his strength from beyond the grave for an unknown but terrible price. Because of his spiritual power, he is considered a shaman.
Magnus' powers are a combination of his natural talents, the manipulation of Mount Joerlak's forces, and spiritual magic.
Thethat Magnus has is but a shadow of the violent vibrations emitted by the unstable Mt. Joerlak. He is accustomed to being in the presence of this volcano, so he took the opportunity to use it as a source of power, learning how to channel its reverberations.
- When he is equipped with the Shock of the Anvil, he instead casts out a wave of piezoelectric force. Such power was accumulated into the anvil over an entire generation worth of crafted weapons, each one imparting some vital essence as they were battered and shaped upon it until it crackled with piezoelectric power.
Thanks to its size, Magnus' horn canmultiple opponents through it.
has no lore to it.
is Magnus' most mysterious ability with its lack of explicit lore. Its description states that it changes properties of matter to suck in nearby opponents towards him but the exact properties of matter being manipulated are unknown. Its lore merely compares Magnus' fighting spirit to an erupting volcano.
- It's possible that Reverse Polarity actually manipulates magnetism to work its power.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Magnus
- ▶️ Soak your horn in their blood, Magnataur. The Twins demand it.
- ▶️ Magnus, none can stand against us.
- ▶️ Magnus, we make quite a pair.
- ▶️ Ah Magnus, the world shall shake at the trample of our hooves.
- ▶️ If you die, can I have your horn?
- ▶️ You know what your horn is going for nowadays?
- ▶️ No, I'm sorry. You couldn't handle this hammer, Magnus.
- ▶️ I'll get an acorn ready, Magnus. This is gonna be bloody epic.
- ▶️ I feel some good vibes coming off of you, new friend!
- ▶️ ▶️ You are a large man, Magnus.
- ▶️ ▶️ Hey Magnus, I want to start up a conservation group, you in?
- ▶️ You always know just the right thing to say, Magnus. A remarkable gift.
- ▶️ Much like your horn, many covet the natural gifts of my kind.
- ▶️ Here, Magnus, can you stir this for me?
- ▶️ I look forward to your kebabs, Magnus.
Enemies killing Magnus
- ▶️ Magnus, your strength ebbs.
- ▶️ Magnus, you were a worthy foe.
- ▶️ It was an honor to kill the great Magnus.
- ▶️ I know just the person to move your horn.
- ▶️ Jex, when this is over remind me to go back for his horn.
- ▶️ You were right, I do have an interest in antiquities. Hm hm hm hm ha ha ha ha.
- ▶️ I didn't even know about your horn before today, Magnus. I'll take it all the same.
- ▶️ Spare me your noble sob story. What's it got to do with me?
- ▶️ This is the ugliest damn unicorn I've ever killed.
- ▶️ The horn doesn't look that valuable to me... But maybe for drinking!
- ▶️ ▶️ Speed beats strength everytime! Hoho!
- ▶️ ▶️ Give it up Magnus, you can't catch me.
- ▶️ Fear not, Magnus. I'll make sure no one finds your horn.
- ▶️ Gods, you're stubborn. No wonder you're dead.
- ▶️ What's wrong, Magnataur?
- ▶️ What's wrong, Magnataur, get your poles mixed up?
- ▶️ That one couldn't tell AC from DC.
- ▶️ You were always gonna come out on the short end of the horn.
- ▶️ I'm a little too tired for quips. I hope you understand.
- ▶️ A magnificent death.
- ▶️ Your form offends me.
- ▶️ Noble creatures die the same as the wretched.
- ▶️ Beware, lest ye be skewered by fortune's reversal.
- Artifact Card: Magnus
- Artifact Card: Defend the Weak
- Magnus response: ▶️ A bounty which my matriarch will prize!
- Magnus response: ▶️ Since I vowed to reclaim our homeland, I have never made a stauncher oath. But I swear, this one is in the bag.
- Magnus response: ▶️ A token sure to quicken my people's return!
- Artifact Card: Empower
- Magnus response: ▶️ Whosoever brought the fires of Mt. Joerlak down upon my kin, know this: You are craven. I shall track you down, and once I do, you shall die upon my horn. Slowly.
- Magnus response: ▶️ It will take more than death to discourage me.
- Magnus response: ▶️ Who else has such a horn.
- Magnus response: ▶️ Compared to my horn, all precious items are cheap.
- Magnus response: ▶️ The horn that gored you was precious beyond all measure.
- Magnus response: ▶️ Behold the horn of Magnus. Aah, does it not dazzle and delight you?
- Magnus response: ▶️ No, I blame no one who covets my horn. But to desire more than sight of it is a guarantee of death.
- Magnus response: ▶️ I tell you what. You touch my horn, I break your face.
- Artifact - Magnus response: Let's see how the Legion fares against a warrior, and not some farmers.
- Magnus response: ▶️ I have long since lost count of however many fools and weaklings I have slain by pike, by horn, or by hoof. Though let me assure you: The process never ceases to be entertaining.
- Artifact Card: Bellow
- Magnus response: ▶️ You always know just the right thing to say, Magnus. A remarkable gift.
- Artifact - Magnus response: The Vhoul need our help, Treant.
- Artifact Card: Prowler Vanguard
- Artifact Card: Farvhan the Dreamer
- Dota Underlord - Magnus response: Sven, I think you will enjoy working with me.
- Dota Underlords - Sven response: We work well together, Magnus.
- Bradwarden's responses towards Magnus.
- Horn of Luminous Crystal description.
- Dota Underlords - Magnus response: The spirit of my people lives in me.
- Eyes of Ardenok description.
- Magnus response: ▶️ Primal strength!