|A hammer forged for the gods themselves, Maelstrom allows its user to harness the power of lightning.|
- Chain Lightning proc does not stack with other Maelstrom-based items.
- When obtaining multiple items with the Chain Lightning ability, only the one that has been continuously the longest in the inventory works.
- The lightning bounces in 0.25-second intervals, so hitting 4 targets takes 0.75 seconds.
- Chain Lightning can proc while a previous Chain Lightning is still bouncing.
- Can never hit the same unit more than once per proc.
- Attacks which proc Chain Lightning cannot miss.
- Can proc on invisible units or units in Fog of War, but it does not bounce toward those units.
- Does not proc if the attacker is dead. However, it can proc if the target is dead.
- Chain Lightning uses pseudo-random distribution.
- The is a hidden buff required for the lightning to bounce.
- Chain Lightning uses a custom cooldown system. It is neither displayed on the item icon when procced, nor is affected by cooldown manipulation.
- Maelstrom is a very good item for speeding up farming. If the extra experience is not needed, it is a good alternative to .
- It is also great to deal with illusions or mass-summons like 's spiders, 's treants, etc. Especially useful for ranged heroes that lack area damage, since they cannot make use of cleave.
- The Chain Lightning deals magical damage which ignores armor and Damage Block, making it good against heroes that get a Vanguard, or Tidehunter with his Kraken Shell, and against heroes with high armor like or .
- Maelstrom is a useful pickup against mega creeps in order to help clear waves.
Main Article: Maelstrom/Changelogs