|A hammer forged for the gods themselves, Maelstrom allows its user to harness the power of lightning.|
- Does not stack with the Chain Lightning of , or other Maelstroms.
- When obtaining multiple items with the Chain Lightning ability, only the one that has been continuously the longest in the inventory works.
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals, so hitting max targets takes 0.75 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit more than once per proc.
- All bounces together can deal up to 560 damage (before reductions).
- Against a lone target, adds an average of 42 magical damage to every attack.
- Chain Lightning can proc while a previous chain lightning is still bouncing.
- Chain Lightning does not proc if the attacker is dead. However, it can proc if the target is dead.
- Chain Lightning uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Attacks which proc Chain Lightning cannot miss.
- The Maelstrom Chain buff is a hidden buff required for the lightning to jump.
- Chain Lightning does not use a regular cooldown. It is neither displayed on the item icon when proccing, nor is it affected by cooldown manipulating effects.
- Alchemist's increased attack speed while in effect of increases the chances of proc, increasing the item effectiveness even more.
- increases Juggernaut's farm speed.
- can proc on either or both of Faceless Void's attacks from , as the cooldown is shorter than the interval between each of the attacks. Because of this, Maelstrom will not only increase Faceless Void's farming speed, but will also ramp the damage he is able to deal to enemy heroes trapped in his .
- increases Sniper's farm speed, allowing Sniper to get more items quickly as a carry.
- Sniper's long range from allows him to safely clear waves. This makes it an essential item in base defense situations.
- Works well with , greatly increasing Pangolier's damage output and farming speed.
- Increases Monkey King's farm speed because it synergizes well with upgrade.
- Greatly increases the damage output of Windranger's . Great choice when playing versus high armor cores. It also increases her farming speed slightly.
- Maelstrom is a very good item for speeding up farming. If the extra experience is not needed, it is a good alternative to .
- It is also great to deal with illusions or mass-summons like 's spiders, 's treants, etc. Especially useful for ranged heroes that lack area damage, since they cannot make use of cleave.
- The Chain Lightning deals magical damage which ignores armor and Damage Block, making it good against heroes that get a Vanguard, or Tidehunter with his Kraken Shell, and against heroes with high armor like or .
- Maelstrom is a useful pickup against mega creeps in order to help clear waves.
Main Article: Maelstrom/Changelogs