Lion, the Demon Witch, is a ranged intelligence hero, most commonly played as a support, who serves as a powerful offensive spellcaster. While exceptionally frail and vulnerable at all stages of the game due to his low health pool, armor, and movement speed, he has a tremendous amount of disabling and nuking power, allowing him to provide the necessary lockdown and burst damage to his team to bring down elusive and shifty enemies. Earth Spike is an area-of-effect line-based stun that also deals a moderate amount of damage. If Lion uses it at max level combined with his Hex, which briefly transfigures an enemy into a harmless critter, he can disable a single opponent for almost 7 seconds, more than enough time to bring down a lone enemy, especially if an ally is present. His ultimate, Finger of Death, serves as a powerful nuke and his primary source of burst damage to aid him in his endeavors. To offset the high mana cost of his abilities, he has Mana Drain, which provides him the sustenance he needs to continuously provide his disabling prowess in a skirmish. A team facing a Lion would do well to eliminate him first in a fight, lest it fall prey to his potent and disruptive spells.
- The spikes travel at a speed of 1600.
- When targeting a unit, the spikes are released towards its current location upon cast. Spikes do not home and thus can be evaded.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- With the travel distance and the spikes radius, it takes 0.56 ( ) seconds to reach max distance and can hit units up to 1025 ( ) range away.
- The talent is displayed.
- When Earth Spike hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies a hex on the target, setting its base movement speed to 120, silencing, muting and disarming it.
- Hex instantly destroys illusions.
- Lion's hex transforms the target into a frog.
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- The link breaks when the target gets out of vision, turns invulnerable, exceeds the break distance, or runs out of mana.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1-second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in up to 50 instances.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 mana when fully channeled.
- With spell immunity while channeling.
, Mana Drain the ability automatically targets additional enemies within range, using the same targeting rules, and grants Lion
- The search range is based on the cast range, plus the buffer, resulting in a search range of .
- Since the additional links use the ability's cast range, cast range increasing effects increase their cast range as well.
- The secondary targets are chosen randomly within the area. There are no priorities.
- The secondary links do not break and continue to drain mana, even if their targets turn invulnerable or run out of mana. They do break when exceeding the link break distance.
- The secondary links stop draining mana if their targets turn invisible or get out of vision, but continue to slow them.
- All links break as soon as the primary target cannot be affected anymore.
- The spell immunity granted does not apply a dispel on Lion, nor does it grant any magic resistance. Therefore, magical debuffs already applied on Lion will continue to affect him.
- Places a debuff on the target upon cast, which applies the damage and the second debuff upon expiring. Both debuffs lasts 0.25 seconds.
- If the target dies while having the second debuff, Finger Of Death gains a permanent damage bonus.
- The status buff on Lion keeps track of how many heroes died with the debuff.
- The bonus damage debuff stacks, meaning that if Finger Of Death is cast on the same target twice within the 3-second time frame and the target dies, the bonus damage is granted twice.
- With the level 15 talent, the same debuff also grants max health per Finger of Death kill.
- Gains damage from dying illusions or creep-heroes. as well, but not from ,
|Restores Allies||20||+20Damage Per Kill|
|+70 Max Health Per Kill||15||-2sCooldown|
|+70 Damage||10||+15 Movement Speed|
- The cast range talent also affects the max distance of and the link break distance of .
- The damage per kill talent as well as Max HP talent are retroactive, adding damage and max HP to all already existing stacks, not just the ones made after the talent was taken.
- Increased turn rate from 0.5 to 0.6.
- Reduced break distance reduced from 1200 to 1100.
- Rescaled cooldown from 16/12/8/4 to 15/12/9/6.
- Reworked upgrade:
- Increased attack speed slow from 90 to 120.
- Increased base agility from 15 to 18.
- Increased cast range from 500 to 575.
- Reduced unit movement speed from 140 to 120.
- No longer reduces mana cost from 200/420/650 to 200/420/625.
upgrade for :
- True Sight over its targets and reduce their attack speed by 90. provides
- Level 15 left talent: +150 cast range reduced to +125.
- Level 20 left talent: +2 multi target now searches for targets around Lion, using its cast range +300, instead of searching in a 400 radius around the primary target.
- provides health sustain in-lane, allowing Lion to remain active despite enemy harass.
- also restores health to Lion and teammates.
- is cheap and can be purchased with any leftover gold, giving Lion some additional stats. It can be built into a Magic Wand or Mekansm components if needed.
- should always be picked up when available, one of the core duties of a support. Spotting enemy movements allows Lion and his team to re-position to meet them, and lets Lion pounce on his foes with his array of disables and nukes.
- gives Lion burst health and mana, critical to have on hand for low-HP casters whose spells can make large differences in teamfights. While a fully-charged Magic Stick is not fully guaranteed to allow Lion to cast one more spell if he's out of mana, it can buy him a few seconds to contribute more in an engagement or escape pursuers.
- is important to get early on Lion due to his strong disables. The extra movement speed allows Lion to chase enemies and get into position to cast his disables, securing early kills for his team.
- is a great upgrade for extra attributes and the additional charges, always useful on hard supports. Its cheap price makes it useful on Lion, who will not always have the gold to buy better items.
- 's passive health regeneration keeps his health pool topped off, synergizing with his ability to keep his mana pool at full with Mana Drain. The increased movement speed gives him better roaming and positioning ability.
- is extremely powerful on Lion, and should be considered a core item no matter his farm situation. The ability to instantly jump on top of enemies allows him to get much more use out of Hex and Earth Spike, greatly increasing the odds of getting kills on the enemy.
- is crucial to purchase regularly as a support Lion. As a ranged hero, Lion can destroy enemy Observer Wards he finds, taking away map vision from the enemy team.
- is important to carry at all times. Lion's nuking and disabling potential allows him to turn ganks and teamfights completely around if he is present.
- is a powerful utility and mobility item on Lion that grants him more mana, base damage, and some health sustain. It can serve as an inferior substitute to Blink Dagger, or as a supplement to further increase Lion's mobility. The active can also be used to help allies re-position as needed, or on an enemy to disposition them or instantly break their Linken's Sphere ahead of other disables.
- gives Lion strong utility and some initiation power. The active can allow Lion to invisibly approach gank targets and get within range to cast his disables, and can even be used as a shield while channeling Mana Drain. More importantly, it can be cast on allies who are caught out of position, granting them invisibility and strong magic resistance to aid them in escaping.
- greatly augments Finger of Death's killing power, as well as drastically reducing its cooldown to allow it to be used tactically. It is best purchased if Lion is given farm priority and his team has good crowd control that can group up the enemy to hit them with the area of effect.
- is useful to build on Lion if no other teammates can utilize the item effectively. The additional stats and armor increase Lion's survivability, while the heal drastically improves his teamfight contribution. As well, Lion does not suffer from the tremendous mana cost of the item as he can always recoup it with Mana Drain.
- increases Lion's mana pool for him to more easily get off his spell combos due to the high cost of Finger of Death. The cast range increase can greatly extend the reach of all of Lion's abilities, especially Hex and Earth Spike for disabling foes. It also increases the cast range of , one of Lion's core items.
- is expensive, but is a strong late-game item on any casting-oriented support. In Lion's case, it gives him better overall stats and reduces his reliance on Mana Drain, while also adding yet another instant hard disable to his already formidable arsenal.
- drastically increases Lion's nuking potential, as it allows him to double up on the already formidable nuking power of Finger of Death. However, it is extremely expensive to upgrade and can be relatively useless if bought too late, so it is best purchased if Lion already has a strong gold advantage and needs to end the game early.
- 's charges accumulate quickly given Lion's strong ganking abilities; those charges either heals allies or deals minor damage to enemies in early fights.
- gives Lion more utility, along with a blend of armor and mana regeneration. As a ranged support with strong disables, Lion can use the active on gank targets, increasing the damage they take from teammates' physical attacks. It can also be used on Roshan to reduce his armor, and later upgraded into a for even more benefits.
- is useful on low-HP casters such as Lion. The ability to evade physical damage for a short duration can buy Lion time to survive if the enemy attempts to focus him down, giving him the few seconds he may need to get his spells off. Can be upgraded into to improve the damage of his nukes if he gets the gold advantage.
- can give Lion some very strong benefits. The item grants more movement speed, giving him more mobility, as well as some more intelligence and mana regen to help him with casting. The active ability can be used either as an additional disable on the enemy, or on Lion himself to give him temporary invulnerability while dispelling debuffs like silences.
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker Initiator|
|Playstyle:||Betrayed by his demon partner, Lion went to hell and back for his vengeance, retrieving the demon's hand and grafting it onto his own body. Earth Spikes burst out from the ground, sending his enemies into the air. A simple Hex turns heroes into a harmless frogs, allowing Lion to Mana Drain them without interruption. Satisfied, the Demon Witch raises his disfigured hand, and points the Finger of Death to exterminate foes with a torrent of infernal energy.|
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion's abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion's rival response towards ▶️ "All we need now is a wardrobe." is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Model before the April 26, 2012 Patch