|Steals enemy mana to fuel his own abilities.|
|Betrayed by his demon partner, Lion went to hell and back for his vengeance, retrieving the demon's hand and grafting it onto his own body. Lion gives enemies little chance to retaliate. Stunning targets with a damaging row of Earth Spikes, or temporarily transforming them into a harmless critter using a simple Hex, allowing him to Mana Drain them without interruption. Satisfied, the Demon Witch raises his disfigured hand, and points the Finger of Death to exterminate foes with a torrent of infernal energy.|
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker Initiator|
- The spikes' max travel distance is based on the cast range, plus the range buffer.
- When unit-targeted, the spikes are released towards its current location upon cast. Spikes do not home and thus can be evaded.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- When Earth Spike hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies a hex on the target, setting its base movement speed to 120, silencing, muting and disarming it.
- Hex instantly destroys illusions.
- Lion's hex transforms the target into a frog.
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- The link breaks when the target gets out of vision, turns invulnerable, or exceeds the break distance.
- The link does not break when the target runs out of mana.
- Provides True Sight over the target.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1-second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in up to 50 instances.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 ( ) mana when fully channeled.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- The mana gained is based on how much the target actually lost on each interval. If they have no mana left, no mana is gained either.
- However, if Lion is at full mana, the target still continues to lose mana.
- With the talent, Mana Drain can be cast on allies with reversed effects, draining the caster's mana into the target.
- Instantly destroys targeted allied illusions on the first interval as well.
- Like on enemies, the mana the ally gains is based on how much Lion actually loses.
- However, if the ally is at full mana, Lion continues to lose mana.
- With spell immunity while channeling and automatically targets additional enemies within range, using the same targeting rules.
, Mana Drain grants Lion
- The spell immunity while channeling does not come with any dispel.
- The search range is based on the cast range, plus the buffer, resulting in a search range of .
- Since the additional links use the ability's cast range, cast range increasing effects increase their range as well.
- The secondary targets are chosen randomly within the area. There are no priorities.
- When , it still chooses random enemies within range. Does not target allies as secondary targets.
- The secondary links do not break even if their targets turn invulnerable, spell immune or run out of mana, they only break by exceeding the link break distance.
- The secondary links stop draining mana if their targets enters the Fog of War, but continue to slow them.
- All links break as soon as the primary target cannot be affected anymore.
- Places a debuff on the target upon cast, which applies the damage and the second debuff upon expiring. The debuff lasts 0.25 seconds.
- If the target dies while having the second debuff, Finger Of Death gains a permanent damage and
- The status buff on Lion keeps track of how many heroes died with the debuff.
- The bonus modifier stacks, meaning if cast on the same target multiple times within the 3-second time frame, each cast grants a stack.
- Although only gaining damage from hero kills, the debuff is placed on every affected target.
- Gain stacks from dying illusions or creep-heroes. as well, but not from ,
- The debuff also grants Lion a permanent
max health bonus per stack.
- The health gain keeps the current health percentage the same.
- The talents are retroactive and update all already acquired stacks. and
|Restores Allies||20||+20Damage Per Kill|
|+70 Max Health PerKill||15||-2sCooldown|
|+60 Damage||10||+15 Movement Speed|
- The damage per kill and the max health per kill talents are retroactive, adding damage and health to all already existing stacks, not just the ones made after the talent was taken.
Main Article: Lion/Changelogs
- True Sight over the target. [ ] now provides
- Reduced mana cost from 200/420/650 to 200/400/600.
- Reduced cooldown from 100/60/20 to 80/50/20.
- Increased secondary target range buffer from 300 to 400.
- Increased mana cost from 70/100/130/160 to 85/110/135/160.
- provides health sustain in-lane, allowing Lion to remain active despite enemy harass.
- also restores health to Lion and teammates.
- is cheap and can be purchased with any leftover gold, giving Lion some additional stats. It can be built into a Magic Wand or Mekansm components if needed.
- should always be picked up when available, one of the core duties of a support. Spotting enemy movements allows Lion and his team to re-position to meet them, and lets Lion pounce on his foes with his array of disables and nukes.
- gives Lion burst health and mana, critical to have on hand for low-HP casters whose spells can make large differences in teamfights. While a fully-charged Magic Stick is not fully guaranteed to allow Lion to cast one more spell if he's out of mana, it can buy him a few seconds to contribute more in an engagement or escape pursuers.
- is important to get early on Lion due to his strong disables. The extra movement speed allows Lion to chase enemies and get into position to cast his disables, securing early kills for his team.
- is a great upgrade for extra attributes and the additional charges, always useful on hard supports. Its cheap price makes it useful on Lion, who will not always have the gold to buy better items.
- 's passive health regeneration keeps his health pool topped off, synergizing with his ability to keep his mana pool at full with Mana Drain. The increased movement speed gives him better roaming and positioning ability.
- is extremely powerful on Lion, and should be considered a core item no matter his farm situation. The ability to instantly jump on top of enemies allows him to get much more use out of Hex and Earth Spike, greatly increasing the odds of getting kills on the enemy.
- is crucial to purchase regularly as a support Lion. As a ranged hero, Lion can destroy enemy Observer Wards he finds, taking away map vision from the enemy team.
- is important to carry at all times. Lion's nuking and disabling potential allows him to turn ganks and teamfights completely around if he is present.
- is a powerful utility and mobility item on Lion that grants him more mana, base damage, and some health sustain. It can serve as an inferior substitute to Blink Dagger, or as a supplement to further increase Lion's mobility. The active can also be used to help allies re-position as needed, or on an enemy to disposition them or instantly break their Linken's Sphere ahead of other disables.
- gives Lion strong utility and some initiation power. The active can allow Lion to invisibly approach gank targets and get within range to cast his disables, and can even be used as a shield while channeling Mana Drain. More importantly, it can be cast on allies who are caught out of position, granting them invisibility and strong magic resistance to aid them in escaping.
- greatly augments Finger of Death's killing power, as well as drastically reducing its cooldown to allow it to be used tactically. It is best purchased if Lion is given farm priority and his team has good crowd control that can group up the enemy to hit them with the area of effect.
- is useful to build on Lion if no other teammates can utilize the item effectively. The additional stats and armor increase Lion's survivability, while the heal drastically improves his teamfight contribution. As well, Lion does not suffer from the tremendous mana cost of the item as he can always recoup it with Mana Drain.
- increases Lion's mana pool for him to more easily get off his spell combos due to the high cost of Finger of Death. The cast range increase can greatly extend the reach of all of Lion's abilities, especially Hex and Earth Spike for disabling foes. It also increases the cast range of , one of Lion's core items.
- is expensive, but is a strong late-game item on any casting-oriented support. In Lion's case, it gives him better overall stats and reduces his reliance on Mana Drain, while also adding yet another instant hard disable to his already formidable arsenal.
- drastically increases Lion's nuking potential, as it allows him to double up on the already formidable nuking power of Finger of Death. However, it is extremely expensive to upgrade and can be relatively useless if bought too late, so it is best purchased if Lion already has a strong gold advantage and needs to end the game early.
- 's charges accumulate quickly given Lion's strong ganking abilities; those charges either heals allies or deals minor damage to enemies in early fights.
- gives Lion more utility, along with a blend of armor and mana regeneration. As a ranged support with strong disables, Lion can use the active on gank targets, increasing the damage they take from teammates' physical attacks. It can also be used on Roshan to reduce his armor, and later upgraded into a for even more benefits.
- is useful on low-HP casters such as Lion. The ability to evade physical damage for a short duration can buy Lion time to survive if the enemy attempts to focus him down, giving him the few seconds he may need to get his spells off. Can be upgraded into to improve the damage of his nukes if he gets the gold advantage.
- can give Lion some very strong benefits. The item grants more movement speed, giving him more mobility, as well as some more intelligence and mana regen to help him with casting. The active ability can be used either as an additional disable on the enemy, or on Lion himself to give him temporary invulnerability while dispelling debuffs like silences.
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion's abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion's rival response towards ▶️ "All we need now is a wardrobe." is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Model before the April 26, 2012 Patch