|Unleashes a powerful attack that bounces between enemies.|
|Resurrected by a curious geomancer, Ethreain bewitched his savior with a Sinister Gaze, then promptly made the man his newest sacrifice. Finally freed from the depths of the Black Pool, the Lich returns to wreak icy destruction on the world. Cloaking his followers with an Frost Shield, Ethreain floats across the battlefield to Blast any who cross him. A frozen orb descends on his foes, traveling from one body to the next until the Chain Frost brings all opposition to their demise.|
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- The primary target takes the area damage as well, resulting in 120/200/280/360 ( ) damage (before reductions).
- The damage is not summed up into one instance, meaning the primary target takes 2 damage instances.
- Frost Blast first applies the area damage, then the debuff, and then the primary target damage.
- While channeling , Frost Blast has no cast time and does not require facing the target to cast.
- Can be cast on any allied unit which is not an invulnerable ward. This includes others wards (i.e. ), buildings and invulnerable allies.
- ↓↓ Double-tapping automatically targets self.
- Applies generic incoming damage reduction on the target. Stacks additively with other sources of generic incoming damage manipulation.
- Pulses in 1-second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in 6 ( ) pulses.
- All pulses together deal up to 120/180/240/300 ( ) per enemy (before reductions).
- The pulses first apply their damage, then the slow debuff.
- Recasting Frost Shield on the same target does not stack, but refreshes the duration, and resets the pulse interval.
- The talent fully works for buildings as well.
- While channeling , Frost Shield has no cast time and does not require facing the target to cast.
- Hypnotizes and provides True Sight over the target, forcing it to move towards the Lich, and preventing it from acting.
- Sets the target's movement speed to 32%/38%/44%/50% of the distance between Lich and the target.
- Drains 0.714%/0.882%/1%/1.087% ( ) of current mana in 0.1-second intervals, starting immediately upon channel begin, resulting in 15/18/21/24 ( ) instances.
- Does not provide any form of vision over the target. However, the target turning invisible or entering the Fog of War does not cancel Sinister Gaze.
- Destroys trees within a 200 radius around the target at the end of the channeling.
, Sinister Gaze turns into an area-targeted ability, so that it cannot directly target units anymore.
- Can target invisible units and units under Fog of War.
- Aghanim's Scepter also allows Lich to cast his other abilities while channeling Sinister Gaze without interrupting it, as long as the target is within cast range.
- This means during Sinister Gaze, all of Lich's abilities have a cast point and backswing of 0 and do not require facing the target to cast.
- Only works with for , , , and . All other abilities are not affected by this (e.g. when acquired via , ).
- Requires to be unlocked.
can bounce on, but cannot directly target .
- It may only bounce to the spire if no other valid targets are within range.
- The bounces still fully count towards the bounce limit.
- Can only bounce on allied spires. Enemy spires are ignored.
- If multiple spires are within range, it chooses one at random.
- Can bounce back and forth between multiple spires if no enemies are within range.
- fully works for the Ice Spire, applying all its effects.
- Ice Spire gains its spell immunity through a buff, so it is possible for enemies to check the buff and ‼ Ping the remaining duration of the ward.
- While channeling , Ice Spire has no cast time and does not require facing the target to cast.
- Chain Frost initially travels at a speed of 1050, and continues traveling at a speed of 850 after bouncing off the primary target.
- The projectile bounces with a 0.2-second delay.
- Can bounce on the same unit multiple times, but only when another target was hit between the bounces.
- Chain Frost first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- Leveling up Chain Frost and the talent immediately update currently flying Chain Frost projectiles.
- For how much damage (before reductions) Chain Frost deals up to the 10th stack, with the talent on each level, please refer to the chart below.
- The projectile has 800 range flying vision. The vision is not provided during the 0.2-second bounce delay.
- Chain Frost stops providing vision and stops playing a sound upon hitting non-hero units when bouncing more than 60 times.
- While channeling , Chain Frost has no cast time and does not require facing the target to cast.
Chain Frost Calculations
|Unlimited Bounces||25||Provides +50 HP Regen|
|+125Radius and Damage||10||+10%Damage Reduction|
Main Article: Lich/Changelogs
- Increased base agility from 15 to 17.
- Reduced intelligence gain from 4.1 to 3.6.
- Increased turn rate from 0.6 to 0.7.
- Increased attack speed slow from 30 on each level to 30/40/50/60.
- now starts pulsing 0.1 seconds after cast, instead of 1 second. [ ]
- Reduced mana cost from 200/350/500 to 180/300/420.
- Increased health regeneration from 0 to 0.25.
- Reduced mana cost from 115/135/155/175 to 110/130/150/170.
- Increased cast range from 500/525/550/575 to 600 on each level.
- Reduced mana cost from 120/130/140/150 to 80 on each level.
- Increased initial projectile speed from 850 to 1050.
- Now also allows Lich to cast his other abilities while channeling .
- Level 15 right talent changed: +100 attack damage ➜ +0.5s duration.
- Increased turn rate from 0.5 to 0.6.
- Reduced primary target damage from 50/100/150/200 to 40/80/120/160.
- Increased area damage from 75/100/125/150 to 80/120/160/200.
- Reduced mana cost from 115/140/165/190 to 115/135/155/175.
- Increased mana cost from 200/325/500 to 200/350/500.
- Increased health from 600 to 800.
- Increased radius from 600 to 750.
- Increased movement speed slow from 20% to 30%.
- Level 10 left talent changed: +90 area damage ➜ +125 radius/area damage.
- Level 10 right talent changed: +100 cast range ➜ +10% attack damage resistance.
- sustains Lich's health so that he does not get harassed out of lane; he can also use it to heal allied carry as well.
- also restores health to Lich or an ally.
- supplies mana for Frost Blast, keeping enemies from touching the creep waves.
- is cheap and gives Lich good attributes. It can build to .
- provides map vision for team to spot enemy ganks.
- and later grant burst healing and mana, keeping Lich going longer in fights or ganks.
- help sustain Lich's health, while using clarities to regen mana. It also helps Lich kite melees in lane with wind lance build up.
- gives Lich much-needed mana and allows him to cast his abilities from a safe distance, while letting Sinister Gaze displace enemies further.
- helps manipulate allies' and enemies' positioning to set up Lich's spells or escape in a pinch.
- grants cheap magic resistance and invisibility to foil gank attempts and escape from bad situations.
- helps Lich get the jump on enemies with his disables or Chain Frost.
- allows Sinister Gaze to disable multiple enemy heroes, synergizing with Chain Frost and other allies' AoE abilities.
- massively increases Lich's teamfight damage with a second Chain Frost cast, but takes a severe toll on his mana supply.
- gives a powerful disable and solves Lich's mana problems, though it comes at a prohibitively high price.
- ethereal to counter physical damage, letting him survive against farmed carries. provides Lich attributes and
- gives some cheap armor and mana regen, along with a useful heal or damage-over-time as long as Lich keeps ganking. Can be upgraded to to break down bulkier enemies.
- can be used to support allies with burst healing in the mid-game before upgrading to , though the heal taxes Lich's mana pool.
- gives Lich more mana to spam spells, along with some mobility and a coveted hard disable.
- gives an efficient attribute boost along with a long-range root for leading ganks.
- helps allies in ganks with a slow and armor debuff, protects allies that are focused down in teamfights, and helps soften up Roshan.
- is a useful utility item against nuke-heavy teams and synergizes well with Frost Shield.
- Lich's voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voiced the Heavy and Demoman classes in Team Fortress 2, another title by Valve.
- In the first iteration of 's abilities, when the order of his three orbs determined the spell that was invoked, Frost Nova was one of his abilities and functioned almost identically to the current spell, and was mapped to Quas Quas Exort. also had the same Frost Nova ability with small differences in numbers.
- Lich is almost entirely based on a Warcraft 3 hero. His title (Lich), DotA name (Kel'Thuzad) and all his spells except the ultimate are same as the original Warcraft 3 hero, although entirely rebalanced around Dota.
- In his transition to Dota 2, he kept his title (Lich), but his name got changed due to copyright reasons, since Kel'Thuzad is a notable character from the Warcraft universe.
- Lich's response ▶️ "Dead man drifting." is a reference to the line ▶️ "Dead man walking." spoken by the Warcraft 3 hero.
- Anatomically, Lich's cranium has no visible sutures, another proof of his age.
- Lich's response :▶️ "Frost bitten, twice shy" is a referense to Great White albums: Once Bitten... and ...Twice Shy
- Lich's response ▶️ "And so the dead will bury the dead" is a reference from Bible (Luke 9:59-60), where Jesus said, “Let the dead bury the dead,” in response to a disciple who wanted to bury his father before committing himself to the Lord.
Low Violence model