|Keeper of the Light|
|Heroes|| Chaos Knight|
Upon a pale horse he rides, this spark of ancient suns. Ezalor, the Keeper of the Light, rides forth from the shattered Primordial harmony to bring the gift of life and light throughout the many corners of the vast universe, while remaining one step ahead from the ancient forces of chaos and darkness.
A force of the universe that has grown sentient in the dawn of time, he embodies and identifies himself as the weak nuclear force, a fundamental force that is unique among the others with its transmutative capabilities on the subatomic level (compared to the other forces which are attractive and repulsive) as well as the ability to manipulate magic and its very essence.
Before time even began to flow, the fundamental laws of the universe were all bound together by the great Primordial harmony in the far and upstream Fundamental Plane made by the One we know as Elder Titan. At the dawn of the universe, these inanimate forces gained the gift of sentience and expression through unexplained means. With the capacity to feel and think, the spark of ancient suns came to be known as Ezalor, the Keeper of the Light, and the four Fundamentals were born. Soon after, the Primordial harmony was broken (either by Ezalor with his ability to disrupt harmony or Elder Titan who caused the Schism) and the sentient Fundamentals were set loose into the many planes of the fragmented world left behind by their creator.
Ezalor frequently mentions that he is on a quest, but the goal of this quest and why he partakes in it is currently unknown. He also claims to originate from a place known as Light's Keep, where he also returns to when he dies before riding out once more.
The Spark of Suns
Ezalor created and took on the mantle of the one who brought light to every corner of the universe and keeping darkness and chaos at bay with his powers over light and order, but abandoned this role soon after (likely due to the Chaos Knight doggedly chasing after him) leaving it to be taken up by anyone who wishes to continue his work.
But it was under this mantle that Ezalor was in his prime, and he was in his prime when he was still the spark of ancient suns. Wielding a radiant staff, he channeled his powers to create the very first sun in the universe, a sentient and conscious beacon of light that can reproduce through supernova, resulting in an endless cycle of birth and rebirth. The first sun was the primogenitor of every sun and star in the universe, including the likes of Phoenix and Dawnbreaker
Although he could give life to conscious stars, he can create lifeforms as well. In the earliest days following his exodus from the Fundamental Plane, Ezalor channeled his power to create a winged horse that inherited his gift, allowing it to aid his work in sparking suns to life.
His work soon came to an end when the Chaos Knight set his sights upon him and chased after his fugitive brother who was said to have defied the first covenant when he escaped the Fundamental Plane. Ezalor was forced to abandon his work in response to the pressing danger at hand and left the mantle with no one around to give it to, until it was taken up by his grandchildren aeons later.
Keeper of the Northlight
Aeons later, Ezalor assumed a cunning disguise in the form of a doddering old man, a true outward embodiment of the fundamental force that is his identity. He has been observed appearing in different guises: a fortune teller, a wizard, and even a sage, but there are none so well documented as his guise of the Keeper of the Northlight.
Legends from the remote frigid villages of the Wailing Mountains speak of a hooded old man who travels in the cold Northern wastes, appearing only to those who have lost their way and when evil or darkness makes its presence known in those lands. Upon a grey stag he rides, bearing the light of the famous North Star that has helped countless travelers to find their way, while banishing evil and darkness when he finds them.
Personality and Mannerisms
- Ezalor is prone to forgetfulness, but this behavior affects him deeper than what we observe from his physical guise. He is not forgetful because he takes on the form of an old man, but because it's actually an outward expression of the force that he embodies: the weak nuclear force, which is best known for mediating the process of radioactive decay.
- Decay may be associated with forgetfulness in the elderly, because their capacity for making and retrieving memories often deteriorates (or decays) with age.
- Hence, Ezalor did not choose to take on the form of an old man, but his guise is a result of him creating a form that bests represents what he truly embodies.
- Explanations aside, his forgetfulness often gets him into trouble with his kin and even himself.
- Ezalor is a benevolent and noble being. Even after abandoning his mantle, he still does his best to beat back evil whenever it is found while still helping those who need his gift of light, no matter what form he takes. His voicelines and the way he speaks them has an air of heroism and nobility.
- Among other heroes, he has a reputation of being a funny old man to them.
- Some of Ezalor's voicelines when he meets with allied female heroes show that he is quite flirtatious with females, regardless of their race or species. It's unknown if this is just a gag on him being a perverted old man or an actual aspect of his personality, as none of the women that he directs these lines to acknowledge this and he doesn't even display this behavior in Dota Underlords.
Ezalor is one of the few heroes in Dota 2 that has children of his own. All the stars and suns in the universe are his children, including Phoenix, Dawnbreaker, and her creators, the Children of Light, who are all descendants of the Keeper's first sun. Dawnbreaker is humbled by the presence of her great grandfather but she is also saddened that he did not do anything to save the Children of Light nor did he know about the fates that they chose. She is even furious at him for abandoning his descendants.
The Solar Goddess, a divine figure whom Lina worships, is a dilution of a greater lineage of star progeny (as in the stars and suns themselves) which includes the Dawnbreaker and her creators, the Children of Light. This would imply that the Solar Goddess is also a very distant descendant of Ezalor and his first sun.
Ezalor is the younger brother and antithesis to the Chaos Knight, who has been hunting him down ever since the exodus of the Fundamentals from their progenitor realm. The Chaos Knight claims that he seeks to destroy all order and creation as well snuff out the Light from every plane of existence but he belies an ulterior motive where he truly seeks to reunite his siblings back into the Fundamental plane.
Besides the Chaos Knight, Ezalor has been in some in-fighting with the children of the Schism. Enigma is hostile towards Ezalor, as he embodies the very force that causes a star to collapse on itself and die, turning it into a black hole. In Dota Underlords, Enigma also plans to replace him with Tiny, for reasons unknown.
Powers and Abilities
Ezalor is a Fundamental, a fundamental law of the universe that has gained sentient expression at the dawn of the universe's creation. It is currently unknown how Ezalor and his Fundamental brothers managed to become sentient beings, and it's even more mysterious if they got their sentience by themselves or someone/something else. He originates from a higher plane of existence known as the Fundamental Plane where they were once united as one force in/by the great Primordial harmony, which was either disrupted by Ezalor or shattered by his creator, allowing him to separate from the other ancient forces that he was once bound with.
Like all Fundamentals and their creator, Ezalor is an omnipresent force that exists in all planes at once, allowing him to call upon other versions or aspects of himself to assist each other. Like his brother Chaos Knight who uses it to summon phantasms from other worlds, or Enigma who uses it to summon aspects of himself from other dimensions, Ezalor can utilize this omnipresence to summon a separate spirit to channel his abilities for him.
The Weak Force
Ezalor embodies the weak nuclear force, in contrast to his brother who embodies the strong nuclear force. The weak force is best known for being responsible for several kinds of radioactive decay, one of which is responsible for the process between subatomic particles that causes stars and suns to burn. With this power, Ezalor has sparked the heat of countless stars, lighting up every corner of the universe and gifting the sun's radiance to the distant worlds that find comfort from its rays, while allowing them to go and multiply via supernova to further extend the cycle of life. He also used his force to make sentient lifeforms, such as winged horses that inherit his powers, which means that the weak force can be used to create life as well.
Hidden underneath the guise of an old man on a pale horse, Ezalor's true light manifests from his radiant staff or until he reveals it from beneath his outward appearance.
Ezalor'sis a good example of the weak nuclear force being integrated into his gameplay and his lore. By disrupting the so-called "Primordial harmony", Ezalor can cause those with poor constitution to uncontrollably drain their own magical energy. It is unknown if operates under the same lore of the ability that it has replaced (besides being similar in terms of gameplay) since the spell was released without a lore description.
- As for why this ability represents the weak force, it has a similar mechanism to radioactive decay. Radioactive decay is the process of an unstable atomic nucleus losing energy by radiation. Radiation is the emission, transmission, or propagation of energy in the form of waves through space or matter. Think of radiation as a movement process.
- Comparing Mana Leak/Solar Bind to radioactive decay, both of them cause something to lose a resource just by moving. If an enemy is under the effect of these spells, they will lose mana or movement speed and magic resistance whenever they move.
) upon others to restore their magical energy. Ezalor mentions chakra, kundalini, and the serpent of illumination when using this ability, but it's not yet known how these concepts relate to his powers.is one of Ezalor's most vague abilities. Lorewise, the skill is said to be Ezalor bestowing his "harmony" (likely referring to the Primordial harmony that's frequently mentioned in Ezalor's lore
- According to Aghanim, Dazzle's powers over light and dark are a mix of chakra magic and chaos magic, respectively. It's possible that Dazzle's light powers share the same source with Ezalor's, who also uses chakra magic.
- If that is the case, then Ezalor may be related to or have something to do with the Nothl Realm.
- If that is the case, then Ezalor may be related to or have something to do with the Nothl Realm.
Just like his first spell,is also a straightforward ability. It is simply a short blast of intense light that may threaten to blind those who look directly towards it.
is an interesting ability, as not only does Ezalor call upon the wisp Ignus Fatuus to aid him, but its lore description states that Ezalor has an uncanny influence over many powerful creatures that are always willing to help him even if he doesn't seem to be familiar with them. Basically, Ezalor can call upon creatures such as wisps to aid him and they will always answer his call, even if he forgets who they are. As for the capabilities of this wisp in the lore, it is currently unknown if we do not take gameplay mechanics into the question.
is yet another one of Ezalor's vague abilities, due to its obscure description. It can be speculated that this ability works similarly to Io's (lorewise) for the two following reasons:
- These abilities are almost similar to each other in gameplay. Lorewise, Io's ability uses its omnipresence over space and the Seven Planes as well as its ability to teleport to use Relocate, allowing Io to relocate anyone to any point in space while still being with them at their destination, since it is omnipresent.
- Like Io, Ezalor is omnipresent as he is a Fundamental, who exists across all planes at once. Since they share this trait and possess similar teleportation or planeshifting skills, it may be assumed that Recall is simply Ezalor's version of Relocate that may or may not have any differences.
Lastly,is what happens when Ezalor sheds his mortal guise, allowing him to reveal the power that he truly embodies.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Keeper of the Light
- ▶️ The aid of a Fundamental is most welcome.
- ▶️ Keeper, what a strange beast you are.
- ▶️ Keeper, let us run together.
- ▶️ Ride with me, brother.
- ▶️ Wow, you're old.
- ▶️ Keeper of the light... That job sounds... Boring.
- ▶️ Great age has dissolved the differences between us, Keeper.
- ▶️ Come, Ezalor. We have endless work to do.
- ▶️ We Fundamentals shall win this day.
- ▶️ I kind of wanted to sleep in today, gramps.
- ▶️ Boop
- ▶️ ▶️ I like your mount.
- ▶️ What kind of example are you setting for the youngsters, Ezalor?
- ▶️ Long have I admired your steed, Ezalor.
- ▶️ ▶️ You gotta show me how to do that light trick, Ezalor.
- ▶️ ▶️ Keeper, I was thinking next Thursday would be a good day for my 'fundamental ascension' ceremony, that work for you?
- ▶️ You make me laugh, old man. Perhaps you're not as senile as you appear to be.
- ▶️ Chaos Knight was asking about you. It seems he is quite taken with you.
- ▶️ You keep the light. We will protect it.
- ▶️ Feel like some flap-jacks, Ezalor?
- ▶️ Going my way pilgrim?
- ▶️ Illuminate my path, Keeper.
- ▶️ Before I even knew myself, I felt your headlong flight.
- ▶️ I've enjoyed watching your journey, Ezalor.
Enemies killing Keeper of the Light
- ▶️ The last of your light is cast.
- ▶️ Die, geezer! And that horse you rode in on!
- ▶️ Lights out for you, geezer.
- ▶️ My antithesis rides no more.
- ▶️ The Light is lost from this plane.
- ▶️ Aha, come back, and I shall kill you again.
- ▶️ I'll see you purged from every plane.
- ▶️ Your light is snuffed out.
- ▶️ The light goes out from your eyes.
- ▶️ Long have I hunted you, Ezalor.
- ▶️ The universe has no place for a rogue Fundamental.
- ▶️ Fundamentals... I don't see what the big deal is...
- ▶️ Shiny.
- ▶️ I enlighten you.
- ▶️ That which I divided, returns to Unity.
- ▶️ So dies the spark of ancient suns.
- ▶️ Though you spark suns to shine, you cannot escape me.
- ▶️ Ezalor, the weak and infirm.
- ▶️ Your weakness was your undoing.
- ▶️ Ezalor, your decay is now complete.
- ▶️ So dies the spark of endless suns.
- ▶️ You forget yourself, Ezalor.
- ▶️ Flux you and the horse you rode in on.
- ▶️ What you bring to life, I shall bring to death.
- ▶️ So ends another Fundamental.
- ▶️ A Fundamental dies.
- ▶️ So dies a Fundamental of the universe.
- ▶️ I take extra pleasure in destroying an original.
- ▶️ Hey old-timer. The sun sets on everybody. Whether they like it or not.
- ▶️ ▶️ Never trust a wizard.
- ▶️ Got a light?
- ▶️ Old.
- ▶️ Your brilliance ends in darkness, old man. Just like all the rest...
- ▶️ All who came before me must perish!
- ▶️ Sagan has been eyeing your mount all day.
- ▶️ ▶️ Ezalor, you should have used that horse to run.
- ▶️ ▶️ You've had a good run, Old Man. But it's my time now.
- ▶️ This is where negligence leads, old man.
- ▶️ So do I keep the light now? Is that how it works?
- ▶️ Chirp!
- ▶️ No light lasts forever.
- ▶️ You rode in the wrong rodeo, Ezalor.
- ▶️ Turns out you're a one-horse talent.
- ▶️ You ride no more.
- ▶️ You shall not pass!
- ▶️ It brings me no pleasure to extinguish the first light.
Enemies dying to Keeper of the Light
- ▶️ Not the horse latitudes.
- ▶️ Ponies! I see ponies! A terrible vision indeed.
- ▶️ Trampled falls the hero beneath ethereal hooves.
- ▶️ ▶️ Defend your beard!
- ▶️ ▶️ I will tear you from your saddle!
- Keeper of the Light biography.
- Chaos Knight biography.
- Mana Leak description.
- Elder Titan response: ▶️ That which I divided, returns to Unity.
- Void Spirit response: ▶️ Still without comprehensible form or voice of my own, I felt this titan's hammer fall and the four children scatter.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ The Light guides me on my quest.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ You were not the object of my quest.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ Your quest and mine were at cross purposes.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ From Light's Keep, Light's Keeper rides!
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ Light's keep, open to your keeper.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ From light's keep, I set out once more.
- Dawnbreaker biography.
- Phoenix biography.
- Wings of Daybreak description.
- Attributes of the Foretold Set
- Dressings of the First Light Set
- Staff of the Northlight description.
- Stag of the Northlight description.
- Pangolier response: ▶️ You make me laugh, old man. Perhaps you're not as senile as you appear to be.
- The Disciple's Path response: ▶️ You're funny old man. Too bad you had to die.
- Keeper of the Light responses.
- Dawnbreaker response: ▶️ Great grandfather, I am humbled by your light.
- Dawnbreaker response: ▶️ Will you set this all to rights, great grandfather? If you only cared to remember how...
- Dawnbreaker response: ▶️ I wonder, great grandfather... Do you even know what your children became?
- Dawnbreaker response: ▶️ You could have saved your wayward progeny, but you let them flicker and fade.
- Dawnbreaker response: ▶️ Your goddess was just a dilution of a greater line, Lina. In case you didn't know.
- Mars response: ▶️ What kind of example are you setting for the youngsters, Ezalor?
- Chaos Knight response: ▶️ My antithesis rides no more.
- Chaos Knight response: ▶️ All creation is order which must be scattered to the wind.
- Chaos Knight response: ▶️ The light shall be blackened, and chaos shall reign.
- Chaos Arbiter description.
- Enigma response: ▶️ What you bring to life, I shall bring to death.
- Enigma response: ▶️ Chaos hunts the spark of endless suns, whose light will die in my crushing grasp.
- (Dota Underlords) Keeper of the Light response: You think you can replace me with Tiny, Enigma? I am a Fundamental!
- Enigma response: ▶️ The Fundamentals unite.
- Enigma response: ▶️ The four pillars stand together once more.
- Enigma response: ▶️ We become one force again.
- Enigma response: ▶️ Those from the founding here once again.
- Astral Spirit description.
- Heaven Sent description.
- Empowered Vestments of the Gods Set description.
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ Chakra!
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ Kundalini!
- Keeper of the Light response: ▶️ The serpent of illumination stirs!
- Aghanim response: ▶️ Oh, prepare yourselves for an earthy blend of chakra and chaos magic. Sharp on the nose, nutty in flavor and... a bloody finish.
- Planetfall response: ▶️ I have heard it said that; you don't "relocate" so much as "exist everywhere".. Can you tell me about a specific place?