- out-heals Doom to a large degree throughout all stages of the game. Should Alchemist be chemically enraged before being Doomed, Alchemist can become a difficult target to effectively lockdown and kill, thanks to the health regeneration and movement speed bonuses granted by his ultimate.
- Alchemist is an ineffective target for Doom. Alchemist isn't totally reliant on his skills to be effective during a teamfight, due to the right-click nature of the hero.
- can be used to free an ally from the grasp of Doom. Without any means of effective lockdown, kills can be difficult to secure when against an enemy Centaur Warrunner. Also, Centaur's tendency to have lots of health and HP regen tend to help counter Doom.
- Drow Ranger can be difficult to get on top of, thanks to her and . With these two abilities, Drow Ranger is able to effectively 'kite' Doom and minimize his impact during team fights and laning stage.
- Much of Drow Ranger's effectiveness comes from her passive, which is not disabled by Doom.
- deals damage and heals Lifestealer based on the target's maximum HP, which is greatly effective against naturally high HP heroes such as Doom.
- allows Lifestealer to become spell immune to negate the magical damage of Infernal Blade and Scorched Earth.
- Doom has no effective means of escape from . This is particularly devastating in lane, where Doom may have to play a much more passive, conservative play style as a result.
- Lone Druid is essentially two heroes. Dooming one over the other still leaves Lone Druid or his bear able to do their job during a fight. Additionally, Lone Druid is not hindered as much as other heroes by the silence and mute of Doom since the hero relies more on attacks than abilities.
- Doom does not disable . As such, Doom's damage is largely mitigated by her mana shield. Additionally, Medusa is not reliant on her abilities to be effective during a teamfight, making Medusa an unproductive hero to target.
- Medusa is an ideal carrier. Should one be purchased, and without any additional disables, Doom may find that few opportunities exist to effectively lockdown, disable, and kill Medusa.
- Due to Doom's naturally high health, strength gain and common itemization for durability, is particularly effective. The health loss is also large enough that, throughout all stages of the game, the aura effectively neuters the health regeneration granted by Devour.
- Necrophos can help to keep both himself and his allies alive during Doom through his natural regeneration granted by (which is not disabled by Doom), or in the case of an ally, through his . Additionally, Necrophos is an ideal carrier. Should one be bought, kills against Necrophos' team can be difficult to secure due to the damage-over-time nature of Doom and his abilities.
- Doom typically wants to be a hero that soaks attention from the enemy team and takes the role of an initiator and disabler. As such, Doom is an ideal target for , as it is likely Doom will be at the fore-front of any fight.
- Phantom Lancer's illusions can make it difficult to Doom the original. Should Doom figure out the original hero, the illusions can make it difficult to cast any abilities, as their hitboxes can be used to body-block the Phantom Lancer.
- Phantom Lancer is an ideal carrier. With it, he can quite easily deplete Doom's already poor mana pool, potentially making him unable to cast his abilities to escape, retaliate or heal.
- Doom lacks any effective ability to clear waves of creeps and illusions, as the vast majority of his abilities are single-target. Without an answer, Doom may find it difficult to deal with Phantom Lancer's presence.
- Due to the nature of the hero, Sniper is typically situated in the back of the fight, potentially making him a difficult target to initiate on and fight.
- Sniper is largely a right-click hero, and as such isn't as an effective of a Doom target as other heroes.
- Thanks to and , Sniper is able to effectively 'kite' Doom, preventing him from closing the distance between the two.
- The slow applied from offsets the movement speed bonus granted by Scorched Earth and the tick-based damage from Infernal Blade and Doom will continually slow Doom down. This allows Viper, much like Sniper, to 'kite' Doom and keep him at a safe distance between the two. Additionally, applies an attack-speed slow which is fairly crippling to a hero such as Doom that, naturally, has a high base attack-time, poor agility gain and builds little attack-speed items.
- Since Doom does not disable auto-cast abilities, Viper's will continue to work. Doom may find it hard to close the distance between himself and Viper, and thusly difficult to effectively lockdown and continually deal damage through his abilities.
- Wraith King has three passive abilities and only a single active ability, so Doom does not hinder him significantly.
- Doom expires upon death, so it is effectively removed after activates.
- Heroes with the ability to heal allies, or those with good defensive abilities: , , , , , , , , etc.
- Heroes who often build : , , .
- can use to save his allies who are Doomed.
- and provide burst-healing to allies, which is particularly effective against Doom and his damage-over-time abilities.
- can block Doom. Doom's only inherit means of breaking the Linken's Sphere is through his Infernal Blade. An initiation created with Infernal Blade followed up by Doom takes a lengthy amount of time, and can potentially allow the enemy team to react.
- A applied at the right time can reflect Doom back onto himself.
- A can be used to protect an ally from the magical damage from both Infernal Blade and Scorched Earth, and can potentially allow the ally to escape Doom's grasp.
- is an effective means of preventing Doom from initiating and casting his abilities during a fight, which he is highly reliant on to deal damage.
- deals scaling damage and is useful against high HP targets such as Axe.
- Doom has low attack speed because of his high Base-Attack-Time, poor agility gain and limited attack-speed granting items which are commonly built. This means Doom will trigger less often and thus is an unideal target for initiation.
- Doom has naturally high HP so it takes longer for Doom to be brought down to the killing threshold of .
- Axe is highly reliant on his abilities and items to be effective during a fight. Without the usage of and due to , Axe offers very little in the way of damage, effectively removing him from a fight.
- deals scaling damage and is useful against high HP targets such as Timbersaw.
- Timbersaw is extremely reliant on his abilities to be effective during a team fight - both for mobility, damage and crowd control. Timbersaw offers very little impactful right-click damage, and thus is particularly crippling against this hero.
- Additionally, when upgraded with , breaks , which effectively removes the durability which Timbersaw is commonly known for.
prevents Anti-Mage from maneuvering around a fight or escaping from an initiation using . Additionally, Doom deals pure damage, which is not affected by . This can quickly whittle away Anti-Mage's naturally poor health pool.
- Be careful when using as a well-timed can block and reflect it back against Doom himself.
- An upgraded will also disable and , which makes Anti-Mage significantly less effective in fights and more susceptible to the high magical damage of Doom's abilities and his allies.
- deals scaling damage and is useful against high HP targets such as Bristleback.
prevents Bristleback from casting his two low cooldown abilities, which then prevents him from utilizing .
- If Doom gets an , he can disable and , taking away much of his durability and damage potential in team fights.
- Infernal Blade deals scaling damage and is useful against high HP targets such as Tidehunter.
prevents Tidehunter from casting his , and , making him useless in team fights.
- If Doom gets an , he can also disable , reducing his survivability.
- Ember Spirit cannot use his to escape while under effect from .
- completely takes Invoker out of a team fight, a hero who relies heavily on using abilities and items to contribute in team fights.
- applies a basic dispel upon cast, so it can remove .
- Casting on Omniknight will also prevent him from healing allies with , or casting buffs like and , basically turning him into a harmless creep.
- Tinker is heavily dependent on active abilities and prevents him from using any of them.
- deals scaling damage and is useful against high HP targets such as Elder Titan. It also can interupt if quick enough.
- Doom has very low base armor and naturally high HP, so he isn't significantly affected by .
- relies on for mobility and survivability but he can be prevented from utilizing it through .
- Doom has a high cooldown duration for every ability except Infernal Blade, so he is not significantly affected by .
- deals high damage to Pudge due to his high strength grow with .
- Using with timing against Pudge who had just activated would usually kill him.
- 's damage is calculated by percentage of max health. Since Spectre is usually tanky, it will hurt her more than most normal attacks.
- can entirely disable Spectre from a teamfight. If upgraded with , it will disable her passive skills which is she relies on, crippling her.
- Arc Warden relies on items and abilities, as well as his , to deal damage to enemies. effectively denies that and makes Arc Warden useless in fights.
- Supports with useful teamfight or contribution spells will be helpless against Doom: , , .
- Besides and , Doom is potentially good versus every hero since Doom will render any hero helpless for a prolonged 16 seconds. This is particularly true for fragile heroes that heavily rely on mobility to stay alive.
- An upgraded can be useful against heroes with troublesome passive skills while also disabling them for a long time: , , , .
Works well with...
- Heroes affected by Doom will typically return to the fountain to heal. Knowing this, Ancient Apparition can cast to prevent them from healing and likely killing them. This is especially powerful if the enemy is hit with before Doom, as they will be unable to receive any healing and will have to watch their health tick away.
- and allows Doom to close the gap on a target enemy hero to cast both Doom and Infernal Blade.
- Doom has a limited mana pool before he acquires items so helps mitigate his early game mana problems.
- Scorched Earth allows Doom to quickly close the gap to guarantee a maximum duration when applied to him.
- enables Doom to affect two heroes at once with Doom, swinging a typical teamfight in your favor with two heroes unable to contribute.
- As Sven gains more damage from , he will benefit greatly from when Doom gains it from Devour.
- can increase the stun duration of Infernal Blade and the duration of Doom, disabling the target for quite some time.
- or can help Doom approach his target.