The very embodiment of the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished", Clinkz the Bone Fletcher is the damned protector of the Hoven lands, sentenced to an eternity of torment by a reward of infinite vitality that became the catalyst of his infinite suffering.
Hailing from a vast forest kingdom called The Hoven, where pools of tar accumulate from the Bleeding Hills, Clinkz is a sworn protector of the Hoven lands and its king-mage Sutherex, protecting the forest kingdom with his recognized skills in archery. In the three-hundredth year of the immortal king-mage, the demon Maraxiform rose from Sixth Hell to lay claim to the forest. In response, Sutherex decreed an unbreakable spell: to any who slew the demon would be granted Life Without End.
Unaware of the spell, Clinkz waded through the Hoven's tar pools to meet Maraxiform in battle. He successfully drove the demon back to its rift that lead to Sixth Hell where both combatants were locked in a mortal conflict. The wounded demon let out a blast of hellfire just as Clinkz shot the final arrow that he will ever release as a mortal being. Both arrow and hellfire found their target, killing Maraxiform and igniting the black pools across the land which burned Clinkz alive at the same time.
The archer should have been incinerated were it not for him unwittingly fulfilling the spell's condition. The immortality spell was cast at the very moment when Clinkz was immolated and it preserved him before the hellfire could consume his entire body. He survives now as a skeletal being of rage and agony, forced to feel the ever-burning hellfire lapping his bones and his soul, neither hellfire nor senescence being able to end his suffering.
But Clinkz is not one to squander his boon-curse. In defiance of the pain that he feels, he continues to dedicate himself to the defense of the Hoven lands, patrolling all reaches of his beloved forest with one painful step after another and gifting Maraxiform's soul-fire to all who dare to make threats and carry them out against the Hoven.
Personality and Mannerisms
- Clinkz is reputed throughout the Hoven for his violent and volatile temper.
- Even in undeath, Clinkz's honor and loyalty to the Hoven persists. He dedicates his kills to the mage king Sutherex, and invokes the Hoven and its king while in battle. He still protects the Hoven, its people, and its ruler in spite of the pain that he feels just by existing.
Despite his reputation for being quick to anger, he is still revered among the people of the Hoven. He unknowingly reciprocates their respect by keeping the Hoven lands safe from harm.
Powers and Abilities
Life Without End
The source of Clinkz's immortality and suffering, this spell was first decreed by the king-mage Sutherex as a reward (and an incentive) for anyone who could kill Maraxiform. The spell is cast and activated by a strange geas, but without the restricting magic. Upon fulfilling the spell's conditions, the immortality spell will be bestowed upon the entity who fulfilled it. The spell is said to be unbreakable, but what this means in practice is unknown.
Life Without End grants eternal life beyond mere longevity to its recipient. In addition to that, it seems that being under this spell allows the user to be resurrected by Sutherex should they be killed. The circumstances surrounding the spell's activation during Clinkz's demise has placed his own existence between the brink of life and death. The spell is said to come from Sutherex's bond of life and death, which allowed Clinkz to exploit this spell's properties and gain new ways of using his immortality beyond its intended use.
Fitting for his Bone Fletcher moniker, Clinkz's weapon of choice is an unorthodox shaped bow crafted from sharp bone. No ordinary bow, it lacks a physical bowstring and instead uses a stream of hellfire emanating from the tip of its limbs that only appears when he draws it back and loads it with an arrow. His bony arrows have a long shaft that slightly dwarfs his short stature.
Aside from his default bow, Clinkz owns a variety of bows made from the remains of beings before him. He has a bow brought back from hell itself, a recurve bow attached with the vertebrae of the fallen damned, a bow made from the preserved bones of his grandfather that is imbued with spirit fire, and a bow made of bone and steel that's inscribed with runes of a lost language that can corrupt anyone who manages to read them, provided that they can understand it in the first place. Most of his bows have sharp pointy ends that he can use as a makeshift melee weapon should he run out of ammunition.
None of these bows are as wicked as Maraxiform's head, which he has fashioned into a bow. As punishment for condemning Clinkz to the indignities of eternal torment, he has made the demon's expired visage into a bow so that both of them will witness Clinkz's suffering together, unable to look away as he carries it with him forever.
Clinkz wears a set of enchanted armor that was forged by blind smeevils a long time ago. The armor represents a vague demonic being known as the Vandal. It includes the Demon Guise, an iron mask to hide one's identity, the claw of the Vandal, and an enchanted pair of shoulder armor. It also comes with a quiver that's said to have an endless supply of arrows.
Clinkz may keep his arrows in a furnace brimming with Maraxiform's fire, which he carries on his back like a quiver.
Clinkz's powers are a combination of his archery skills, his newfound power over demon fire, and exploitations of his immortality spell: Life Without End.
The Bone Fletcher's speed with the bow allows him to unleash aof arrows to turn his enemies into oversized pincushions, or if he has lit his arrows beforehand, into cremated remains.
complements Clinkz's ambush tactics as an archer. Upon activation, Clinkz turns invisible as a burst of fire and a puff of smoke cover his disappearance.
is a good example of Clinkz exploiting his undead state as a source of power. Clinkz's restorative immortality and consuming hellfire has balanced him on the brink of life and death, turning him into an undead who is not so alive or dead. He has learned how to temporarily bridge the gap between them both to perform necromancy and reanimate a group of fiery skeletal archers to his side.
is the king-mage's Life Without End spell used in a more offensive way. Having assimilated the spell that preserved him into his being, Clinkz taps into Sutherex's bond of life and death to re-enact his pact on lesser beings, restoring his health at the cost of stealing the life of an unlucky sacrifice.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Clinkz
- ▶️ You ever been to Quoidge? You'd fit right in.
- ▶️ I heard about you Clinkz. Your story really taught me why I should never try to be a hero.
- ▶️ Consider yourself lucky, Clinkz. Even the brightest of stars eventually burn away.
- ▶️ Burn them down, Clinkz.
- ▶️ Your pain is power, Clinkz.
- ▶️ Your tortured existence is a compelling argument against doing the right thing, Clinkz.
- ▶️ There's gotta be an easier way to light your arrows than the whole self-immolation thing...
- ▶️ Clinkz! A skeleton after my own heart.
- ▶️ Clinkz! We meet in a show of fury!
- ▶️ ▶️ You mind if I call you Bones? Because whenever I hear Clinkz I start looking for a clockwork creature and I get really confused.
- ▶️ ▶️ You're a hero Clinkz. Not enough people give you credit for that.
- ▶️ This is a good look for you, Clinkz.
- ▶️ You see: that is why I rarely do the bidding of kings. Give me a rabble of commonfolk anyday.
- ▶️ Listen. I'll share my recipe with you, but don't tell anyone till after I'm gone.
- ▶️ ▶️ Clinkz, our horns shall run them through.
- ▶️ Clinkz, our horns shall run them through.
- ▶️ You're new to eternity, Clinkz. It gets better.
- ▶️ Ready for some target practice, Clinkz?
- ▶️ Keep your flames under control in my presence.
Enemies killing Clinkz
- ▶️ Clinkz, your bones were brittle. Shoulda eaten more spinach.
- ▶️ Bashed your bones in.
- ▶️ Sorry hero.
- ▶️ Just accept your fate and die already!
- ▶️ I heard your bones rattle with fear.
- ▶️ Clinkz, were you named after chattering teeth?
- ▶️ You met your match today, Clinkz.
- ▶️ Ignorant of true flame.
- ▶️ Your fire lacks discipline.
- ▶️ I snub you out.
- ▶️ You smolder and die.
- ▶️ I take no pleasure in destroying Maraxiform's greatest work of art.
- ▶️ I would have preferred to let your suffering continue.
- ▶️ You're lucky we never ran into each other when you were alive. You never would have survived to be cursed!
- ▶️ Two legged abomination.
- ▶️ Stop complaining. You're already a skeleton for God's sake.
- ▶️ A mounted bow will always claim victory.
- ▶️ Problem solved! You should have come to me sooner.
- ▶️ ▶️ I'll put you in the ground where you belong!
- ▶️ ▶️ I'll give you the final rest you've been begging for, Archer.
- ▶️ The lampreys will pick your bones.
- ▶️ Your life without end comes to an end.
- ▶️ Your fire is out.
- ▶️ Your demon takes you.
- ▶️ Believe me. This was mercy.
- ▶️ To be honest, I thought he was dead already…
- ▶️ Spare ribs? Not what I had in mind.
- ▶️ Hm hm hm hm hm. You need some meat on them bones, Clinkz.
- ▶️ Bones and no flesh? Where's the pleasure in that?
- ▶️ I like them with a little more meat on their bones.
- ▶️ The demon that made Clinkz botched the job if you ask me.
- ▶️ You're a real hard case, but maybe this is just what you need.
- ▶️ Surprised my bullets even found purchase.
- ▶️ Heh, crummiest gun I've ever seen.
- ▶️ I'll trample your bones to dust, skeleton.
- ▶️ Why fire your arrows at me when Kunkka's sails need burning?
- ▶️ ▶️ Snuff life and flame.
- ▶️ Your death comes at last, Clinkz.
- ▶️ Your curse is nothing to the void.
- ▶️ I guess we know who's the better archer now.
- ▶️ Sorry, Clinkz, I can offer archery lessons if you'd like.
- ▶️ ▶️ Clinkz, you cannot hide from the eye in the sky.
- ▶️ Guard yourself against burning shafts, and make no pact with death.
- ▶️ ▶️ No more hiding!
- ▶️ ▶️ Blades against bows!
- Nomad of the Burning Decree description.
- Maraxiform's Ire description.
- Urushin Huntsman description.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ Another life for the king mage.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ For the Hoven lands.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ Sutherex guide my arrows.
- Heat description.
- Snapfire response: ▶️ Listen. I'll share my recipe with you, but don't tell anyone till after I'm gone.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ The king mage shall bring me back.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ The mage king returns me to life.
- Burning Army description.
- Death Pact description.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ Once again, I slip Maraxiform's grasp.
- Clinkz response: ▶️ A hole to Sixth Hell opens wide!
- Bow of the Searing Soul description.
- Demon Spine Recurve Bow description.
- Runic Bow of Corruption description.
- Shredder of the Vandal description.
- Maraxiform's Fate description.
- Demon Guise of the Vandal description.
- Skeletal Claw of the Vandal description.
- Torn Guard of the Vandal description.
- Dark Quiver of the Vandal description.
- Compass of the Rising Gale response: ▶️ Okay, color me intrigued. How does the fire to arrow transfer work in the quick of battle?