Atropos, the Bane Elemental (or simply Bane), is a ranged intelligence hero whose dark and nightmarish abilities give him prowess as a disabler, ganker, and nuker. Mostly played as a support, his high starting stats make him a menace in lane. Bane possesses four potent single-target spells, which must be used well to make up for his lack of pushing power or area of effect presence. Bane's first spell, Enfeeble, reduces the target's attack damage, health regeneration, and the speed they cast spells, crippling physical damage dealers, tanky brawlers, and spellcasters alike. Brain Sap deals hefty damage to the target and heals Atropos for the same amount, giving Bane a massive presence in small skirmishes. Nightmare puts a unit to sleep, completely disabling it for several seconds. The unit awakes when it is attacked or takes damage, though Bane can freely attack nightmared targets without waking them. Finally, Bane's Fiend's Grip is a channeled spell that completely disables the target, drains its mana and deals high damage over time. Bane's aptitude for incapacitating and debilitating enemies make him an invaluable support to allies—and a nightmare for enemies.
- Reduces the target's total attack damage, including attack damage bonuses.
- Applies heal reduction, health regen reduction, lifesteal reduction, and spell lifesteal reduction on the target.
- Multiple casts on the same target do not stack the debuff, but only refreshes the duration.
- Despite the visual effects, the heal happens instantly after the damage is dealt, there is no travel time.
- The heal amount is based on how much damage the target took from Brain Sap.
- This means amplifying or reducing the damage affects the heal value.
- The heal value itself is still subjected to heal manipulation.
- ↓↓ Double-tapping automatically targets self.
- Applies a sleep on affected units, preventing them from acting.
- Nightmare turns affected targets invulnerable for 1 second, preventing affected units from waking up.
- Nightmare reduces affected enemy unit's vision to 200.
- Deals damage in 1-second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in up to 4/5/6/7 instances.
- Can deal up to 60/100/150/210 damage to enemy targets, considering the default duration (before reductions).
- The target wakes up when a unit starts attacking it (including manual casting of active attack modifiers), or when the target takes damage.
- The target does not wake up when taking damage from certain sources and under a few rare conditions:
- Damage dealt by , , or .
- Any damage from active attack modifiers, be it a debuff (e.g. ), or direct damage (e.g. ).
- Any damage from already launched ranged attacks if the projectiles hit after the invulnerability period.
- Enemy targets do not wake up from Nightmare's own damage per second.
- When waking up with an attack, the Nightmare is transferred to the attacking unit at the start of an attack, not when the attack hits.
- When Nightmare is transferred, its duration is refreshed, including the 1 second invulnerability.
- Nightmare cannot be transferred to spell immune units, or to wards and buildings. So their attacks only wake up Nightmared units.
- Bane and illusions of him (be it his own, enemy or allied illusions) can attack Nightmared units without waking the target up, and without the Nightmare transfering to them.
- This is innate to Bane, and does not apply to other heroes who use this ability (acquired via or ).
- Sleeping units are never automatically attacked, regardless of auto-attack settings.
- As long as a unit is affected by Nightmare from Bane, Nightmare is replaced by the sub-ability which allows Bane to wake the unit up.
- Replaces until there is no Nightmare debuff from Bane active.
- Can wake a unit up at any time during a Nightmare, even during the 1 second invulnerability.
- Wakes up all units which were put asleep by Nightmare, no matter who put them asleep.
- Fiend's Grip fully disables and provides True Sight over the target until the channeling ends.
- Deals 40/60/80 damage and drains 2.5% mana in 0.5-second intervals, starting immediately as the channeling begins, resulting in up to 12 ( ) instances.
- Applies the damage first on each interval, and then the mana loss.
- Unlike other targeted abilities, the caster vision of Fiend's Grip lasts for the entire channel duration (even if it gets canceled), instead of just 2 seconds.
- With illusions spawn 400 range towards Bane's right and left side, facing towards the target whenever casting Fiend's Grip.
- The illusions are able to cast abilities, and are automatically ordered to cast Fiend's Grip on the same target, with an instant cast time.
- The illusions can be given any orders normally, except for item cast orders. Doing so cancels the channeling and kills the illusion.
- The illusions' Fiend's Grip places a different modifier than the real hero does. This modifier only stuns the target if the real hero's modifier is present.
- However, as soon as the real hero's modifier disappears, the illusions' modifier continues dealing damage and draining mana in its place.
- In this case, the damage and mana drain is sourced to the illusion, not to Bane.
- The illusions have a maximum duration of seconds, hard-capping the maximum time they can spend channeling.
- Since the illusions are actually casting Fiend's Grip as well, this upgrade does not work for heroes who do not have Fiend's Grip by default (e.g. when acquired via Spell Reflection). or with
|+30 Movement Speed||20||-3sCooldown|
|+5%Max Mana Drain||15||-3sCooldown|
|+12% Magic Resistance||10||+6 Armor|
- Reduced cast backswing from 0.84 to 0.5.
- Increased cast range from 1100 on each level to 800/900/1000/1100.
- Increased attack damage reduction from 25%/35%/45%/55% to 45%/50%/55%/60%.
- Increased health restoration reduction from 25%/35%/45%/55% to 45%/50%/55%/60%.
- Increased duration from 8 on each level to 8/9/10/11.
- Rescaled cooldown from 20/16/12/8 to 28/21/14/7.
- Old: Reduces spell immunity. cooldown to 1.5 and allows it to pierce
- New: Reduces cooldown by 45 seconds and causes it to spawn two illusion of Bane that channel it on the same target along with Bane, so that all of them need to be interrupted to cancel it. The illusions takes 700% damage, and die immediately if they get interrupted.
- Old: Causes to spawn an illusion of Bane that channels it on the same target along with Bane, so that both need to be interrupted to cancel it. The illusion takes 750% damage, and dies immediately if it gets interrupted.
- New: Adds a 550 radius to , affecting all enemies around the primary target. Secondary targets heal for 25% of the damage.
- keeps Bane's health pool up in the early game. It also destroys trees to make chain pulling of neutral camps easier.
- restores health to Bane or a teammate.
- gives Bane mana replenishment, sustaining his abilities like Nightmare, allowing him to set up kills more frequently.
- provides vision around the map to spot enemy movements, setting up ganks or avoiding them.
- provides Bane with a small amount of passive health regeneration, allowing him to mitigate harass damage. More importantly, it gives him burst mana restoration in the early game, allowing him to get off one more ability for a key moment in ganks.
- gives movement speed for Bane to position.
- gives Bane burst health and mana to use abilities in fights.
- grants cheap mana regeneration and some protection against magical nukes.
- allows Bane to deward or spot invisible foes.
- increase the size of Bane's mana pool and gives him some additional movement speed, allowing him to get into position to use abilities more often. They also replenish mana to him and teammates.
- provides even more burst health and mana than Magic Stick.
- boosts mobility, allowing Bane to play with perfect position.
- is completed from disassembling Arcane Boots, and provides mana regeneration for Bane to use abilities. It also increases Bane's cast range of his abilities and items, keeping him further away from enemy aggression.
- give movement speed for mobility. The passive health regeneration also helps to offset Soul Ring's health cost.
- gives Bane more utility while also providing useful bonuses. As he is already a strong ganker, Bane can easily get charges that can then be used to heal teammates or add additional damage to ganks.
- provides intelligence and health regeneration to use abilities. The active can get Bane and allies to the right position, or break Linken's Sphere, opening up opportunities for disables.
- gives Bane a way to shield himself from physical attacks for a short duration, gaining him time to use his abilities or to retreat. Use with Fiend's Grip to prevent the enemy from killing him with physical attacks.
- brings invisibility and magic resistance to Bane and his allies, allowing them to initiate on enemies or escape from engagements. Use on Bane while channeling Fiend's Grip to conceal himself from enemies.
- weakens the armor of target, including Roshan, allowing allies to deal more physical damage to them, and the passive mana regeneration helps Bane to maintain his mana pool.
- grants strength, intelligence, and regeneration. The item's channel time benefits from Nightmare's long duration disable, ensuring the stun on targets. The item also applies damage to enemy buildings and creeps, helping Bane push and clear waves.
- gives increased movement speed, allowing Bane to position for abilities, and the intelligence and strong scaling mana regeneration greatly help with his casting. The active provides yet another disable that Bane can use on the enemy to set up ganks or hinder them in teamfights, or use on Bane himself to provide a short duration of invulnerability while also dispelling debuffs such as silences.
- root disable, giving Bane and allies time to pin down the target. gives Bane more health and a larger mana pool. It also provides a
- grants armor, regeneration, and Echo Shell that can be used on Bane or allies to remove debuffs and reflect targeted abilities.
- provides Bane with armor and attack speed slow aura, increasing his resilience against physical attacks. The added intelligence improves his damage and expands his mana pool; the active adds more damage in teamfights and slow movement speed of enemies.
- provides a large intelligence bonus and mana regeneration that alleviates Bane's casting problems, while also providing all-around attributes to increase survivability. The active allows him to utilize an instant hex.
- restores mana and health to team while removing debuffs from Bane. The armor and health regenerating aura works better on heroes at low HP, potentially saving them from deaths.
- drastically reduces cooldown of Fiend's Grip and makes it harder for enemy team to interrupt channeling.
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker Durable|
|Playstyle:||Formed from the ichor of Nyctasha, Atropos is the vaporous embodiment of pure fear. Sheer terror Enfeebles his enemies, diminishing their attacks. The Bane Elemental puts heroes to sleep, sending them into a restless Nightmare as he feeds on their vital energies through Brain Sap. Some will never wake. Caught in the Fiend's Grip, Bane's victims can only swing at imagined phantoms as fear chokes the life from their bodies.|
- The origin of the name "Atropos" comes from Greek mythology. One of the Moirai Sisters (commonly referred to as the Sisters of Fate), Atropos was the sister in charge of cutting the "Life Thread" of those who were going to die. Her name literally means 'the no-Turning One' (> α 'no, without' + τρέπειν 'to turn'), referring to the irreversible and inevitable destiny of death.
- Bane's rival line towards ▶️ "Do Tinkers dream of electric sheepsticks?" is a reference to the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. "Sheepstick" is also a commonly used name for the .
- The theme and abilities of Bane are based on the game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. In this game, there is a Bane "element" which provides spells that are named Enfeeble, Brain Sap, Nightmare and Fiend's Grip, with a similar theme of Bane in Dota 2.
- Bane's move line ▶️ "Sleep no more!" is a reference to Shakespeare's play Hamlet, in particular, his famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy. Hamlet reasons over whether to take his own life or carry on: "To die, to sleep-. No more-and by a sleep we say to end..."
- Fiend's Grip sound effect makes use of one of Bane's lines ("▶️ The bane of your existence").
- Bane's Last hit Response "▶️ The wages of fear" is a reference to the film of the same name.
- Bane is the only hero in Dota that has both the same base value as well as the same growth value on all 3 attributes. Even when general attribute value adjustments have been made on other heroes through different versions, Bane has still kept this peculiarity in every version, intentionally.
Low Violence model