Attack range ( ) is the range at which a hero may perform their basic attack on another unit. There are two main subdivisions of attacks: melee and ranged. Attack range can be extended by certain abilities.
The attack range itself is not what decides if a unit is classified as Ranged or Melee. This characteristic is set for each unit individually, regardless of their actual attack range. This means that it is possible for a melee unit to have a higher attack range than a ranged unit.
These are the differences between melee and ranged units:
- Melee heroes attacks hit instantly upon reaching their attack point.
- Melee attacks miss if the target moves more than 350 range out of the hero's attack range, unless they have True Strike.
- Melee heroes can attack up cliffs, provided the enemy is close enough to the edge to be within the hero's range.
- Melee attackers have an extra 150 attack range when attacking .
- Melee heroes have an innate ability, having a 50% chance to block 16 damage.
- Certain items uses different values for melee heroes, such as
, and etc.
- Melee heroes can use cleave.
- movement speed slow and attack speed slow apply the lesser values against melee heroes.
- The attack range bonus from and work exclusively for melee heroes.
- Ranged heroes fire a projectile when they attack.
- The time it takes for a ranged projectile to land is determined by the hero's projectile speed and their distance from the target.
- Projectile attacks can be disjointed, and have a chance to miss when attacking a target on uphill or higher elevation.
- Certain items uses different values for melee heroes:
- movement speed slow and attack speed slow use greater values against ranged heroes.
- Some attack range bonuses apply exclusively to ranged heroes, such as , , and etc.
Some heroes have abilities that allow them to switch between melee form and ranged form, allowing them to benefit from both forms for a timed duration.
For melee units, if the target is farther than 350 range more than the melee unit's attack range, the attack will always miss, true strike does not guarantee hits on units outside of the buffer range. For most melee heroes attack buffer range is the sum of the hero's base attack range and 350 range.
For ranged units, they are affected by the uphill miss chance. It causes 25% of the ranged attacks to miss if the attacker is at a lower terrain level as the target. A unit is considered to be on higher elevated terrain when it is no longer visible to the player due to the terrain. This means when an enemy stands on a ramp, but is still visible to the player, there is no uphill miss chance, but as soon as they disappear in the fog by moving the ramp further up, uphill miss chance applies. It does not matter how many terrain levels difference is between them, the miss chance always stays 25%.
In order to prevent units from automatically attacking any visible enemy unit, they have a certain acquisition range. This range determines how close an enemy has to get in order for the unit to automatically attack it. Since this only goes for auto attacks, this range has no influence on units which have auto attack set to ◎ Never in the game options.
The default acquisition range is 600 for melee heroes, and 800 for ranged heroes. There are some exceptions to this mainly due to abilities.
|Acquisition Range Table|
|Sniper with learned||950|
|Rubick in or ranged form||800|
|Dragon Knight in||600|
|Lone Druid in||600|
|Terrorblade in form||600|
The default motion buffer range for attack range is 250, this range prevents attacks (and unit-targeted abilities) from cancelling when the target moves out of attack range during cast time, or before reaching the attack point.
Attack Range Table
- 1 These heroes have abilities that modify their attack range.
- 2 See attack modifiers for details.
Most abilities acquired with Spell Steal interaction for details.which modifies attack range also fully affect 's attack range for their duration when stolen and used, with the exception of and . See
However in Ability Draft, increase the hero's attack range if it is drafted by a ranged hero, while does not change the attack range of any other hero than .
Modifying Attack Range
- Attack Range Bonus: 100
Affects melee heroes only.
- Attack Range Bonus: 75/150/225/300
Number of Attacks: 6
Active, attack range bonus last until number of attacks is fired or duration ends.
- Attack Range Bonus: 100/200/300/400
- Attack Range Bonus: 340/360/380/400
Attack range bonus only in form.
- Attack Range Loss: 350
Attack range is lost when toggled on.
Set Base Attack Range
These abilities sets the attack range of the caster or affected unit to a value.
The following heroes have a talent that grants them attack range.
|Bonus||Level 10||Level 15||Level 20||Level 25|
Besides these, the following heroes have other specific attack range talents:
Abilities that are attack modifiers use different attack range values if the cast range is different than the hero's attack range.
If the ability is cast manually, using the designated Hotkey, the ability uses the cast range. When using Autocast, it uses the hero's attack range. The cast range of these abilities can be further increased by other attack range bonuses. However, it is not affected by cast range bonuses.
- 1 Requires .
- 2 Requires .