|A powerful artifact long ago smuggled out of the Ivory Incubarium. Or so many believe.|
3000 ( )
- Triggers upon taking damage greater than 0 (before reductions) from enemy and allied players.
- Does not trigger on self-inflicted damage, or on damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Applies a strong dispel on the wielder upon activating. Does not continuously dispel the unit.
- Applies generic incoming damage reduction on the wielder. Stacks additively with other sources of generic incoming damage manipulation.
- This means that sources of generic incoming damage amplification can be used to counter the effect.
- The reduction affects all damage the wielder takes that is not flagged as HP removal.
- Also applies unique outgoing damage reduction. Stacks multiplicatively with all other sources of outgoing damage manipulation.
- This means unlike the incoming damage reduction, the outgoing reduction cannot be countered by any outgoing damage amplifiers.
- The reduction affects all damage the wielder deals, including damage flagged as HP removal.
- Also grants 75% status resistance, which stacks multiplicatively with other sources of status resistance.
- The damage instance triggering Combo Breaker is negated.
- However, if the owner has above 70% health, it is negated so that their health does not drop below 70%.
- Does not protect against instant kill effects.
- Combo Breaker allows Batrider to safely use on enemies to initiate fights.
- Aeon Disk almost always guarantees a successful , allowing Brewmaster to initiate fights more stably.
- Bristleback is an amazing tank/frontliner, and Aeon Disk makes him even harder to kill.
- Dazzle is often focused to prevent him from saving others.
- considerably reduces the cooldown of Combo Breaker, thus allowing a Dazzle with Aeon Disk to potentially escape death much more frequently.
- Although a badly-timed during Combo Breaker can mean a wasted burst of damage, Aeon Disk can buy time for an Earthshaker to land key disables in a teamfight.
- Enigma's is core to his gameplay, and Aeon Disk ensures that raw damage does not threaten him to cancel his Black Hole, forcing enemies to commit/save disables for Enigma.
- is one of the best disables in the game. Aeon Disk allows a Faceless Void to drop a Chronosphere to escape and even potentially counter-initiate a teamfight.
- Aeon Disk, when combined with , gives Faceless Void extremely good escape potential. This often means enemies are forced to used considerably more resources to attempt a gank on him.
- If Magnus gets caught before his initiation, Aeon Disk gives him a chance to counter-initiate with or just escape with .
- Aeon Disk gives another layer of protection for aggressive Omniknight players looking to take advantage of his and melee-centric active abilities.
- 's damage is negated while Combo Breaker is active, thus making it a decent idea to save Purification until the buff wears off, for potential retaliation.
- However, players facing against Omniknight tend to build to counter his dispellable . As Combo Breaker is also dispellable, it may sometimes be a waste of gold to purchase Aeon Disk instead of other defensive/mobility items.
- Oracle has strong defensive abilities and is often focused to prevent him from saving core heroes. Aeon Disk gives him a chance to survive and cast his abilities on himself or allies.
- Pugna has an extremely low health pool, especially when played as a support. Aeon Disk gives Pugna the opportunity to cast Decrepify on himself, to save himself from the devastating physical damage that may follow after getting disabled.
- is vulnerable to sources of Break like , which does not affect item passives like Aeon Disk's, allowing Tidehunter to try for potential s that may have been previously impossible.
- Tidehunter's lack of range outside of forces him to position himself in the middle of teamfights; Combo Breaker discourages enemies from using too many resources at once to kite or disable him.
- often puts Vengeful Spirit in dangerous situations. Combined with escape tools like , Aeon Disk allows her to use Nether Swap more liberally.
- Shadow Shaman's s are not affected by Combo Breaker, which can in turn create opportunities for counter-kills with a quick cast of Mass Serpent Ward into .
- With the exception of , most of Shadow Shaman's kit have long cooldowns and bring great impact with a single cast. Aeon Disk ensures that he can maximize his contribution in fights, even if he dies soon after.
- Aeon Disk can be a good choice for tanks, initiators/counter-initiators or supports who have strong defensive abilities.
- Aeon Disk is effective against heroes that rely on ambush and/or disables followed up by quick, sudden bursts of damage to finish their prey off, wasting their efforts (and possibly lengthy cooldowns), and allowing their target to escape quickly. Such heroes include
, , or .
- Conversely, heroes that rely on quick bursts of damage may be better off not buying Aeon Disk, as they could waste their own spells upon attempted retaliation.
- Aeon Disk also provides protection from heroes with strong initiation tools like or , as (most of) their disable durations will be reduced and their team cannot provide immediate follow-up damage to their initiation.
- Consider purchasing a or other mobility items with Aeon Disk, as one can use it during Combo Breaker's duration, allowing a quick escape, provided it has not been disabled beforehand. It can also be used to initiate with, protecting you should you either miss your ability or if there are enemy heroes that you missed.
- Summoned units are not affected by the outgoing damage negation by Combo Breaker. Heroes such as , or can still be able to retaliate on their attacker while being briefly protected.
- Other protective items like or can help delay Combo Breaker's activation in a teamfight, preventing it from being wasted by either a stray spell or a long-distance attack.
- The item can save a split pusher from getting killed while being far from his team to run back or teleport to base.
- Aeon Disk could be a not so good choice against disables that can't be dispelled like , , , etc, but still will give a dispellable 2.5 second protection.
- mines deal full damage while they are under the effect of Combo Breaker.
- or : Makes it nearly impossible to burst you down.
- and : Dispels Aeon Disk's buff.
- The item's internal name was Combo Breaker until November 30, 2017 Patch.
Main Article: Aeon Disk/Changelogs